+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
March 1st, 2005, 03:49 PM #1
Fix "NTLDR missing" in XP (works for 2000 as well)
This assumes that you have already checked your floppy for a non system disk.
1. Start your computer with a Windows XP CD-ROM.
2. At the Setup screen, press R for repair.
3. Opt to use the Recovery Console (press c).
4. Type 1, and then press Enter (if you have more than one windows install then choose the number of the install you want to repair).
5. Type your Administrator password, (the one that you setup when you were installing the OS) and then press ENTER. If you do not know what it is try leaving it blank. If that does not work, find out what it is from the person that did the install.
6. Type map, and press Enter. This should tell you the drive letters assigned to the drives and what type of drives they are. this is very useful if you have multiple drives. This is for reference only.
7. Type: copy "drive":\i386\ntldr c:\ ("drive" will be the drive letter that corresponds to the CD-Rom Drive your XP CD is in. Refer to step 6.) Press Enter.
Type: copy "drive":\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
Type y If you are prompted to overwrite this file, then press Enter.
8.You can do this to check your new boot ini file if you wish but this step can be skipped if you are confident that all is good.
Type: type c:\Boot.ini
You should see something like this:
[boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect.
Last edited by Front242; March 1st, 2005 at 04:29 PM. Reason: clarification
March 7th, 2005, 11:26 AM #2
January 11th, 2008, 11:56 PM #3
- Join Date
- Jan 2008
If copying from the XP disk, you have to expand the files. They are compressed, so simply copying them wont work.
expand "drive":\i386\NTLDR "drive":\
same with ntdetect.
January 11th, 2008, 11:59 PM #4
January 12th, 2008, 12:01 AM #5
- Join Date
- Jan 2008
January 12th, 2008, 01:07 AM #6
Ya, but didn't he already give instructions on how to replace NTLDR?
I mean ffs! http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318728
There is all kinds of threads on this very topic too.
Oh, welcome to Tech (noob)imo.
Last edited by Keymaker; January 12th, 2008 at 01:09 AM.
September 6th, 2008, 11:59 AM #7
- Join Date
- Sep 2008
Fix ntldr easier
For someone who have not skils with cmd or recovery console here is another way.
1)Copy ntldr ,command.com and boot.ini from another PC to flopy disc
2)Insert flopy into PC
3)Bott PC with ERD Commander or Badara boot cd(I recomended Badara.)
4)Copy ntldr ,command.com and boot.ini from Flopy Disk to system drive (usualy C
5)Restart PC and remove Boot CD
Write to me and correct something I told wrong
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By techteen143 in forum Technical SupportReplies: 332Last Post: June 2nd, 2007, 06:57 PM
By Anglblueyes21 in forum Applications and Operating SystemsReplies: 4Last Post: November 10th, 2004, 11:38 PM
By hstorer721 in forum Technical SupportReplies: 7Last Post: June 7th, 2004, 08:52 AM
By diabloroker in forum Technical SupportReplies: 9Last Post: February 11th, 2004, 04:19 PM
By OcLpRk8699 in forum Technical SupportReplies: 8Last Post: August 14th, 2003, 07:49 PM