Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

thankssssss

Quote Originally Posted by YourCrazy View Post
    I found IMAPsize to work fine for free

1. Download - IMAPSize Download
    2. Install
    3. Open program -> Tools -> mbox2eml
    4. Locate your Thunderbird files
    (Typically - C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\Someweirdnumbers.default \Mail\
    Files of type: All Files (*.*)
    Select "Inbox"
    5. Choose your directory to store the converted files
    6. Click Convert
    7. Drag files right into the Oulook Express Inbox window
    8. Open Outlook2002/2003 and move files from Outlook Express with the easy wizard.

Worth 50 bucks to me!
    heyyy that helped me thanks a lot

Smile New post makes the trick

Hi,

This post:
    Export messages and folders from Thunderbird to Outlook / Outlook Express | Nektra Advanced Computing Blog

makes the trick. You need to export using an application and then import into Outlook Express using another application but I imported my messages keeping my folder structure without errors.

pvicenti

Using Exchange server

Here's how I moved over large number of emails from Thunderbird to Outlook 2007:

1. Sign up for a hosted Microsoft Exchange server. Usually you get 14 or 30 days free to try, that's enough. Create one mailbox with few GB space, depending on how much you need. You don't even need a domain because you won't use this Exchange mailbox to send or receive emails.

2. Configure Exchange IMAP account in your Thunderbird and connect your trial mailbox. The new Inbox and Sent folders will be synchronized between Thunderbird and Microsoft Exchange server right away. These folders will be empty as your Exchange mailbox is empty.

3. Go offline with Thunderbird (File > Offline > Work Offline)

4. Copy your existing emails to IMAP folders (select messages or folders, right click, select "Copy To" to point the target IMAP folder).

5. This process is quite fast because not much actually happens. You're offline and Thunderbird copies your messages locally. Still, I did it folder by folder not to give Thunderbird too much work at once.

6. Go online with Thunderbird. This will automatically start IMAP synchronization and all messages you copied will now be physically send to your Exchange mailbox. This can take quite long depending on how many emails need to be copied and your connection speed. It will run in a background, you can stop it and resume.

7. Once all messages are synced with Exchange, go to Outlook and set up your Exchange mailbox account there.

8. Connect and retrieve all messages into a local PST file in Outlook. This will again take some time.

9. Finally cancel your Exchange hosting trial.

I didn't have problems with attachments, email dates etc. All messages went through unchanged and I found them the same in Outlook.

how to make it work in vist?

Quote Originally Posted by pvicenti View Post
    Hi,

This post:
    Export messages and folders from Thunderbird to Outlook / Outlook Express | Nektra Advanced Computing Blog

makes the trick. You need to export using an application and then import into Outlook Express using another application but I imported my messages keeping my folder structure without errors.

pvicenti

hey y'all... i am running into the problem of "Outlook Express" doesn't work on Vista... so how to convert without padding the pockets of those other ppls on here that are the developers/owners of paid software??? any and all help is appreciated.

William Gray

Kudos Address Magic

To the lead developer and your team: GREAT JOB.
    I was looking to convert Thunderbird to Outlook and your program works PERFECTLY. Mailbox size ~3gb and folders ~100. I normally don't write reviews and felt compelled to after having used your program.
    Bought it on sale for $14.99 (using the link you provided ..see below) Feb 11, 2010 half expecting it not to do the job but am totally blown away.
    Very Nice job..wish more programs worked so well!!
    Thanks!

Link does not work well

I tried the link provided by ConnectedSW, but when I press "Add to Cart" the discounted $19.98 Address Magic Personal Plus it send me to the payment page in which the amount is now $49.95!!

Too much to give it a try...

ConnectSW, how can I purchase the discounted version?

Thanks

[QUOTE=ConnectedSW;3056199]If you are going to spend money for an automated solution, at least get a product that can convert both email and address books. Address Magic Personal PLUS does both, as well as supporting multi-gigabyte folders, inline and embedded attachments, multiple accounts, and more. With a conversion rate in excess of 250MB/minute, you'll be done with your conversion before you can even complete configuration of these other solutions.

Hi all
    3 years of waiting for me, I'm really dashed! Thanks guys (and dolls) !
    As a matter of fact, I did this before, I must say because some superior spirit in my office decided things should be straight with our software, licences etc. It's a pain in the ass but well, I found this way, it works with XP and W2K :

- Install Netscape Communicator
    (download from Software Releases :: The Netscape Archive )
    - create an account and set Netscape for startup in offline mode

Hint : shut off your network connection before getting on.

In T-bird
    - find out where your TB-files are stored (see in Tools/Accountproperties : the local directories will be indicated)

- Open Windows Explorer and copy the TB-files into C:\Program Files\Netscape\User\accout_name_you_created
    - Search for files of type .msf in this Netscape directory and delete them.

- Open Netscape, Messenger.
    You will find all your nice files in place.
    Just Compress the files and close NS.

- Open Outlook Express
    Create your account.
    Click File, Import, Messages;
    Choose Netscape Communicator;
    Search for the files in C:\Program Files\Netscape\User\accout_name_you_created;
    Click next;
    Click All Files, next;
    Leave cooking for a while, depending on volumes.
    Sometimes, an error-message might appear, pointing to a file.
    You should analyze the file(s) to see how you could import them differently, for instance, by cutting it into several smaller file (subfiles).
    Once, all files imported, get the hell out of OE.

Open Outlook (plain version tested 2002 up to 2010).
    - create your account
    - click File, Import, "Internet messages and addresses";
    - choose Outlook and only select "mails", not addresses since they will be imported differently.

This will cook for a while, depending on how much stuff and so on.

Close Outlook

Restore your network
    Make Oulook your preferred mailclient.

To get your addressbooks from TB to Outlook :
    - In TB : just export them as .csv
    - In Outlook : just import the .csv file.

Worked several times for me.
    Hope it'll do so for you!

Thumbs down 6000 flolders - that sounds smart

What kind of genius thinks 6000 folders in Outlook is a good idea?

"Gee, I wonder if I stored that email from 2 years ago in folder #2796 or folder #5352?"

Seriously Chris - are you surprised you had a problem?

Lame attempt at directing people to this product

Business v. Personal

I have a similar problem as the OP, and the issue isn't so much the software but the different attitudes posters have in here. Like Chris, I'm having a nightmare situation of migrating TB to Outlook in my office for 12 users and each of them have hundreds of folders for each project/ client. The folders are necessary because all correspondences are similar and there's no way our employees can remember the client names or any other specifics after 2 years - so using the search feature is almost unusable. Also, if they're recurring customers, referring to past projects/ per folder is much more convenient.

Anyways, I'm surprised of the nay-sayers with their sardonic attitude towards his review and email practices, offering alternative export options which involves at least 2 different programs and conversions which rewrites the timestamps (a big no-no for law firms), and has no guarantees that the folders and messages will be intact. Like he said, if you only have two folders and a few hundred megs of email, those alternative steps will work just fine. But if you have gigs of emails with attachments to them (schematics, PDF docs, lots of photos) - i.e., a BUSINESS to run, then you would focus on running a business, instead of playing IT monkey. Besides, how would you search for an image or PDF for a certain project if the email has no subject or content? You put them in folders (as an aside, the projects are mirrored to the users' server space and backed up in 3 locations; the email is there as a fourth "soft" backup. Nothing is ever deleted for archival and liability issues).

I use Gmail for my personal email with TB as the client. If I were backing up or migrating to another platform, then yes I'd do the convoluted conversion on my own free time because I can afford to make mistakes there. For my company, I can't afford to "play around" and takeover someone's machine for more than 30 min. We're not quite Enterprise level, but we're certainly not light on our communications/ IT demands. Time is money, and I can't waste my time logging in as SU and installing Outlook Express, then another plugin, then creating a Windows Live Email, then converting 2-3 times...etc. Each step compounds the chance of errors. Then multiply this by 12 (employees), and I can foresee this being a 2-week long project, assuming there are NO issues (there always are).

Right now I'm testing different programs for fast and consistent conversions. We can't use TB anymore because the "cloud" (god I hate that buzzword) services we subscribe can't and won't update their plugins because there isn't enough demand. TB is updating to a new version every 2 months it seems, and our vendors won't support it, unlike Outlook where the bulk of their subscribers are.

Anyways, this is more of a rant of the people saying that Chris' way of managing email is wrong and that their way is the *only* right way. Try managing the email system of an Art Dept. of a news organization (tons of attachments); or hundreds of traveling users who needs to sync email, calendar, and tasks with their laptops, mobile, and desktops at 2 locations (HQ and satellite office). But that's more of an imap and email server issue rather than client....but the point is, there is no *one* way of managing email, and you certainly can't dictate your way to be the right way. Some users need folders, and I'm glad you guys don't.

This topic is very old so I'll be brief. The purpose of this email isn't to address any post prior to yours, JT79. It is, very simply, to give my input on your post after having a lot of experience in the legal practice (as far as legal office applications are concerned).

As a paralegal and having worked for a government organization I've also found what you've said to be true. Especially insofar as timestamps are concerned as many methods of migrating from one solution to another changes folder structure, timestamps and other valuable information (one such solution I recently used simply got rid of the email headers... now that was a real pain).

That being said I have to admit that the initial methods, programs, etc. used are of significant importance. We used Outlook from the beginning, connecting to a massive exchange server, was backed up similar to what you're describing and never had a problem. But firms/offices/agencies make mistakes or need a new solution if an old one fails (as is the case you're describing).

But whoever implemented TB in the setting you are describing committed a very big wrong. At least if you had a paid, well supported email client and system established you could qualify for more support. A company I had once worked for migrated from using Endora to another similar client and the staff at Endora helped them do it. What you're describing is a really bad solution being implemented initially and then suffering the effects of trying to migrate it to a better solution.

Unless you can find some sort of amazing solution or support staff willing to spend a lot of time on this matter I'm afraid the only solution, in my opinion, seems to be to go with some of these 3rd party softwares or transfer methods which, in all honest, work piss poor.

I agree with you that there's no right way of managing your mail but at the same time you can't honestly say that the way your mail was managed in the past is passable in any real world way in which sensitive emails are important. I'm sure you'll probably agree with me here (I don't think we are in disagreement at all from what I'm reading): TB is most assuredly NOT the way ANY company should EVER have gone. Period. And I feel really sorry that whatever company you work for decided to go that route.

I'm posting this as more of a reflection of my own after reading your post. I'm terribly sorry for you and your organization and sincerely wish you some luck in your future email solutions. If you find a way to successfully migrate your mail solutions please let me know so that I may also implement a similar solution for companies that I encounter that have used similar poor practices.

Btw... folders were our gods too. Each and every case, matter, research on precedent/case history at every level of our judiciary could be found in a folder or subfolder. So I totally hear where you're coming from JT... honestly I wish you the best.
    “Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” ― Cryptonomicon

Thanks for the input.

The TB worked solution worked fine when it was just 1-2 people in the office and they didn't foresee the amount of attachments and bloated emails they would receive. Nor did they expect the company to grow at that rate. In short, the only real alternative is to host our own email servers on a fast pipeline which is still in discussion. The biggest drawback, however, is the uncertainty of our traveling employees' ability access our offices from no-so-nice places like say, China and its great firewall. But that's another story.

In short, we're just adjusting ourselves during a period of growing pains. We've outgrown the church van and we need a bus

Thanks for your input and my rant was aimed at the potshots between business vs. personal use of email. TB showed promise in the beginning but my company made the wrong bet unfortunately.

Read this blog tutorial for understanding how to perform conversion from Mozilla Thunderbird to Outlook: https://askveronicablog.wordpress.co...ailbox-to-pst/

Thread Information