+ Reply to Thread
    Prof. of DooGlian Studies MegalosSkylaki's Avatar

WIN 8 OS Laptop: What to do?

Or let me say, should I buy?

There is a Samsung ATIV selling at deep-discount which I suspect is because its OS is Win 8 and not Win 8.1 or 10.

Is a buy given the OS which I recall had some problems (don't recall exactly what) so it was rather quickly replaced by Win 8.1.

What could I --or should I--do with the Win8 OS should I buy the Samsung ATIV Notebook 9 Win8 ?

ThanX;
    Ch DOOG
    FIRST TEN YEARS ANNIVERSARY HONOR ROLL
    this April 18th, 2014 and will be Officially Celebrated That Day! SEE http://www.techimo.com/forum/imo-com...ml#post1070600

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd guess it would really depend on the price and how good the deal is. IMO I could live with Win 8/8.1 for the right price, once I got use to using it I didn't have too many issues. It was just the initial comfort factor and there are a lot of hacks out there that you can do that will allow you to set it up a bit more like Win 7 or Win 10.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

I prefer win7pro over 8 or 8.1 but my recollection is that when 8 came out there were some problems aside from the missing Start button and the different desktop. So 8.1 came out as a "fix" on 8.

I'd be willing to try 8.1 although I refer he familiar 7 and in fact I recently came across a dvd for Win7pro that I own but I believe its an OEM builders edition so I don't know if it would actually work as an upgrade.

I'm sure I could find a hack to make it work but I am essentially a lazy DooG nowadays.

The price is $350 for an ASUS ATIV9 with ssd.
    this April 18th, 2014 and will be Officially Celebrated That Day! SEE http://www.techimo.com/forum/imo-com...ml#post1070600

There isn't much different between 8 and 8.1 at least on the User interface aspect, so that's a moot point.

When I was running it, it was on the regular desktop 99.9% of the time, I rarely used the Tile interface, unless I had to go digging around for a program with no shortcut on my desktop or quick launch bar.

Thankfully in 10, the old start menu (a new take on it) returned, so I almost never have to access the Tile menu.

An old OEM edition of 7, it should work, not so much in an upgrade, but a downgrade, though you should be able to wipe 8 off the laptop and use 7, the issue will be drivers for 7 if any are available for the various subsystems in the laptop top, most for GPU and such shouldn't be an issue, but laptop specific parts, drivers might be an issue.

Unlike later versions of Windows that tie some sort of key from a motherboard to the specific OS/Serial# that prevents you from transferring the OS from one system to another, 7 doesn't have that. I've used my OEM 7 copies on at least 3 different PC's since I bought Windows 7 OEM, all completely different core hardware.

But I doubt the price of the Laptop is cheap because of the OS, the CPU in question is 3 years old already, and 128GB SSD isn't a whole lot of space these days.

Intel integrated Graphics, the only expensive part of the whole thing is the insane high res, 3200x1800 13.3" display.

Though with that said, if you're willing to jump on that deal, at least give Windows 8.1 a try (upgrade 8 to 8.1, as it was a free upgrade, should still be), and just don't use the Metro Tile interface much... or even look into buying some of Stardock's software to transform 8.1 into a more Windows 7 or Windows 10 like desktop.

Software: Windows Customization Apps from Stardock Corporation

This is somewhat of an aside, I recently came across this ASUS transformer at $230 with free shipping from a company I never heard of called Heartland of America

Heartland America: Asus Detachable 2-IN-1 Laptop

Simply detach the screen & you have a powerful tablet computer. Then connect it to the keyboard & presto! It's a laptop! The Intel Bay Trail-T Quad Core processor clips along at 1.46 GHz and is coupled with 2GB RAM for incredible performance. Plus, it has a 10.1" 16:9 IPS HD multi-touch display and Intel HD graphics for incredible image quality. Also has 32GB storage + 500GB keyboard dock, MicroSD card slot, 1.2 MP camera, Bluetooth 4.0, 2 speakers, mic, long-life polymer battery, USB 3.0 port, microUSB port, micro HDMI port and more. Windows 8.1 and Microsoft Office 365 included. 1-year limited warranty
    Also are they saying it has two hard drives, a hybrid of 32gb ssd on tablet and a 500gb hdd on KB dock?

Any ideas/recommendations/comments on company and/or machine?

_____

Getting back to the Win8 vs 8.1 , my recollection was there was some problems with 8 (no surprise there as this was the first switch to a "mobile" OS) and then there were problems in converting machines from 8 to 8.1. I was perfectly satisfied to remain in win7p as I still don't even have a smart phone (!) so I paid little heed at the time.

I believe the media sw was taken out of win OS for win10...

32GB SSD on the device 500GB External storage in the keyboard attachment.

32GB doesn't give you much at all after the OS and a few frequent use apps.

Also the claims of the Baytrail-T CPU having incredible performance... yeah, when compared to earlier single and dual core Atom's, but they're sluggish for a laptop, and only really "snappy" for a basic tablet device. The Cherry Trail series Atoms are pretty snappy, but still, for a tablet, for laptop performance their sluggish, but only just.

2GB is nothing, its the max memory these Atoms typically will have (Officially 4GB is the max, but I have yet to see any devices with this chipset using that much memory, almost everything I've seen is sporting 2GB only).

The onboard Intel HD Graphics also aren't all that great, maybe fine for streaming youtube, and some services, but beyond that, not much else, even a basic $40 Celeron Dual core, for desktop systems, the HD Intel graphics on those are far superior to what the Bay Trail-T's had. Cherry Trail, are a bit better, but harder to find in devices, the basic Microsoft Surface 3 tablet was packing a Cherry Trail, but that was a $500 part, excluding keyboard addon or port replicator base.

Price isn't bad, but I wouldn't expect traditional laptop performance out of the thing for that price, as its just not there, performance would be somewhere between a low end laptop and a Chromebook laptop.

Interested in the specifics on the Atom CPU/SoC in question, read here then: Intel Atom Z3775 Tablet SoC - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Honestly for a Tablet/Convertible, I'd be looking at no less than 64GB internal storage, and even that will be limiting at some point, if you can find something with 128GB that'd be better, but at the very least 64GB, and USB 3.0 or at least a MicroSD Card slot able to support up to 128GB cards (or even 256GB cards).

The way this one is set up, with 32GB internal on the SSD, you'll be using external storage mostly no matter what, be it MicroSD card, USB flash drive, USB external HDD, or the Keyboard with 500GB internally as well. Windows will probably be using most of that 32GB of space just for itself.

Howsabout this

I was looking for a smaller maybe 2 in 1 to knock around and also was looking for a more powerful machine as a desktop replacement.

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store...tID.2740239900

Meets the first criterion although on the expensive side and also is powerful enough but lacks the connectivity of a desktop replacement. Still something could be worked out and maybe time to take one of my new backup desktops with earlier i7 procs and graphics cards out of storage and upgrade them a bit. Desktop are always more ergonomic.

HP used to have a laptop docking station and should have some usb3 -type dock device to provide connectivity.

So maybe an expensive powerful smaller laptop and an upgraded desktop will do the trick.

Errr..maybe time to talk da CaaT into the virtues of a mobile WS.. It's hard not to spend $2,000 on a DELL precision...

Stroke of GooD Luck, Dept.

Whilst I'm scouring the "deals" for another laptop for me and da CaaT(2 in all) , yet another olde and almost unused laptop turned up.

This is a SONY Vaio 6.5 lb Core2Duo P8400
    Speed: 2.26GHz
    Front Side Bus Speed: 1066MHz
    L2 Cache: 3MB
    Technology: Intel® Centrino® 2 processor
    technology
    Memory
    Type: DDR2 SDRAM
    Installed: 4GB PC2-6400 (2GBx2)
    with 16.4" 1600 x 900 screen and BD player + DVD recorder.

The reason such a machine is almost unused is that the HDD was failing (I could hear the grinding sound)and I either forget/lost the administrative password or it was in a corrupted section of a bad HDD. I put it aside to replace the hard drive but had some reservations about whether I'd be able to get the drivers for a SONY laptop if I started from scratch as I would have to without a password. Recently I found SONY drivers for the laptop which leads me to think I could install the Win7pro OEM OS, unless the Core2Duo won't support it.

User guide>>
    https://docs.sony.com/release//VGNFW200series.pdf
    Upgrade from VISTA to WIN7>>

https://esupport.sony.com/p/os7upgra...=1&region_id=1
    ==============================
    Specifications
    General
    Computer Type: Notebook
    Type of Use: Portable
    Action Buttons: S1, DVD Play, A/V Mode, Volume
    - / +, Play / Pause / Stop, WLAN / Bluetooth®
    on / off
    Pointing Device: Electro-static touch pad
    Hardware
    Keyboard: QWERTY, 86 keys with 2.0mm stroke
    and 19.05mm pitch
    Camera: Built-in 1.3 megapixel MOTION EYE®
    camera and microphone
    Processor
    Type: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor P8400
    Speed: 2.26GHz
    Front Side Bus Speed: 1066MHz
    L2 Cache: 3MB
    Technology: Intel® Centrino® 2 processor
    technology
    Memory
    Type: DDR2 SDRAM
    Installed: 4GB PC2-6400 (2GBx2)
    Maximum: 8GB
    Speed: 800MHz
    Hard Drive
    Capacity: 320GB
    Speed: 5400rpm
    Interface: Serial ATA
    Optical Drive #1
    DVD+R DL Write: 4x max.
    DVD+R Write: 8x max.
    DVD+RW Write: 8x max.
    DVD-R Write: 8x max.
    DVD-RW Write: 6x max.
    CD-R Write: 24x max.
    CD-RW Write: 16x max.
    CD Read: 24x max.
    DVD Read: 8x max.
    DVD-RAM Write: 5x max.
    DVD-R DL Write: 4x max.
    BD-R Read: 4x max.
    BD-ROM Read: 4x max.
    BD-RE Read: 2x max.
    BD-R DL Read: 2x max.
    DVD-RAM Read: 5x max.
    Blu-Ray Disc™ Support: Yes (read only ) (BDROM/
    DVD±RW/±R DL/RAM Drive)
    BD-RE DL Read: 2x max.
    Expansion Slots
    Multimedia Card Reader: One Memory Stick
    PRO™ (STD / Duo) media slot with
    MagicGate® functionality
    One ExpressCard® /34 media slot
    One Secure Digital (SD™ memory card) media
    slot
    Audio
    Sound System: Dolby Sound Room® Audio
    Display
    Screen Size: 16.4"
    Resolution: 1600 x 900
    XBRITE-ECO™ Technology: Yes
    Multimedia Card Reader: One Memory Stick
    PRO™ (STD / Duo) media slot with
    MagicGate® functionality
    One ExpressCard® /34 media slot
    One Secure Digital (SD™ memory card) media
    slot
    Audio
    Sound System: Dolby Sound Room® Audio
    Display
    Screen Size: 16.4"
    Resolution: 1600 x 900
    XBRITE-ECO™ Technology: Yes
    Inspired by theater screens. Born from Sony® HD technology.
    POWERFUL PC PERFORMACE
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8400 processor (2.26GHz ) with Intel® Centrino®
    2 processor technology and 4GB of pre-installed system memory.
    The VAIO® FW notebook comes pre-installed with Genuine Microsoft®
    Windows Vista® Home Premium 64bit.
    Built-in Wireless-N technology offers a boost in wireless connection
    speed and range .
    INSPIRED BY THEATER SCREENS. BORN FROM SONY® HD TECHNOLOGY.
    Fall in love with your favorite movies all over again with an extra-wide,
    theater inspired 16.4” display (1600x900 resolution) using energyefficient
    XBRITE-ECO™ LCD technology.
    The 16:9 aspect ratio ensures that you won’t miss an inch of the
    original picture from your favorite movie while also providing valuable
    extra workspace. Compare two documents or websites side-by-side
    without the hassle of having to tab back and forth.
    A Blu-ray Disc™ optical drive lets you playback HD Blu-ray Disc™
    movies in crystal-clear resolution.
    An HDMI™ output provides single-cable full 1080HD connectivity (audio
    and video) to a compatible HDTV (cable sold separately) .
    ENDLESS FEATURES
    Store your favorite multimedia, important documents, and cherished
    family photos on the roomy 320GB Serial ATA hard disk drive.
    The VAIO® FW notebook, designed with dedicated AV Controls,
    makes navigatingthrough your favorite multimedia quick and easy.
    Stay connected to colleagues, friends and family with real-time video
    conferencing using the integrated MOTION EYE® camera and
    microphone.
    Broaden your entertainment horizons with the VAIO® FW notebook
    featuring an extra-wide 16.4” XBRITE-ECO™ LCD display. Great for watching
    widescreen movies or viewing two websites side-by-side, this entertainment
    powerhouse is inspired by theater screens, born from Sony® HD expertise
    and powered by Intel® Centrino® 2 processor technology - the latest and

https://docs.sony.com/release//VGNFW200series.pdf

https://esupport.sony.com/p/os7upgra...=1&region_id=1

This may seem rather overkill to support several--and older--laptops but I can keep some in NYC and some in CA and avoid sharing them. It is yet another nuisance getting laptops through security at airport and I sometimes just put them with cargo luggage and read a book in flight.

The problem is the SONY is neither a lite weight to knock around with nor a powerful desktop replacement..so maybe I'll give it to da CAAT for CA use and watching Blu-rays flics via its HDMI connector and BD reader. My recollection this was a media laptop although I don't know how useful the SW is now and whether any of it is available with the drivers.

QUESTION: How viable is my plan to simply remove the defective HDD and replace it with an SATA SSD and to do so without Ghosting the HDD image? Then installing the drivers from online from the SONY driver site.

What kind of SSD what I need ? I understand SATA has gone through several levels and my guess this would be an early one.

I'm thinking also as a "fail-safe" to Ghost the image just in case the drivers don't work and I have to resort to installing a ghost from a possibly corrupt disc; this would also probably require cracking the password. Like I said, a "fail-safe back-up' and at that point one may wonder if its worth the agita.

Hard Drive
    Capacity: 320GB
    Speed: 5400rpm
    Interface: Serial ATA
    Last edited by MegalosSkylaki; August 31st, 2016 at 01:40 PM.

Any SATA will work, the only thing you'll need to find out is the thickness of the Laptop SATA HDD it uses, I forget off hand the two sizes, but one is 9.5mm. It came with a 5400RPM drive, but you should be able to use a faster 7200RPM model instead, it would just use more power from the battery as a result.

Otherwise, another option that would negate the RPM speeds but yet guarantee a speed increase, is go with SATA SSD instead.

Most Retail box SSD's come with a plastic spacer plate that you attach to the drive in case the laptop uses the thicker variant of drives, but the SSD uses even less power, yet has speeds well beyond any 7200 RPM Drives.

Original size drive on the laptop is 320GB, if you're comfortable with it, you can procure a good 240-256GB SSD for not a whole lot these days, have seen them as low as $50, usually in the $60-100 range.

Windows 7 will require some configuring and setting various options to optimize and maintain performance of an SSD, where as Windows 8.1 and later automatically detect an SSD and do the maintenance in background with no 3rd party software needed.

Another bonus to the SSD, its light weight, the dang things are feathers compared to rotational drives, so you save a tad bit of weight on the overall laptops weight. AND, you can knock them around, and they won't miss a beat when in use.

The only draw back to this laptop is its probably using Intel's integrated graphics, they're ok for basic stuff, even 1080p playback for watching movies, but anything more taxing and they kind of suck. Though for watching Movies, and streaming TV shows and what not online, and other mundane tasks like web browsing, and word processing, some lighter graphics duties (photoshop), it should be fine.

The Core 2 Duo is definitely a bit long in the tooth, and under powered, but still, has more oomph than some of the more recent Intel Atom Dual and Quad core CPU's.

But I'd definitely consider an SSD as a replacement.

As to the type of SSD, the original model's SATA 150 (from what I could dig up), is first gen SATA, which is supposed to do about 150MB/s max read speeds, usually most of those were below 100MB/s on average, and actually even less, given its 5400RPM, I'd be surprised if the drive was a bit faster than a full Speed USB 2.0 flash drive around 50-60MB/s.

SATA I (150), SATA II and SATA III are all backwards compatible, the later faster ones will just default to the slower ones max speeds. With that said, I wouldn't go all out on a SATA III SSD, as its speeds will be capped by the older slower interface, but with THAT said, its hard pressed to find an SSD these days not made for SATA III specs. Some are still sold for SATA II, which also would be capped, as those ran about 300MB/s max, III models were 500-600MB/s.

Still, for a laptop replacement, an SSD is the cheapest and fastest way to go, unless you need to replace it with something in the 400-500GB or larger capacity range, which still demand a premium price.

Some examples:

Newegg, 275GB, 240GB, 256GB, 250GB, 2.5", New, Internal SSDs, SSDs, Components - Newegg.com

Looking through the list and some cheaper options I recognize for good brands/models off hand.

Mushkin Enhanced ECO3 2.5" 240GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MKNSSDE3240GB - Newegg.com

SK Hynix, is well known world wide for being one of the premiere RAM manufacturers in the world, Did not know they made some SSD's, Samsung a competitor, has been making some for years, but now that I see this, I'm thinking of trying this out myself, just because I hate how Samsung is the defacto standard and every one always says "get Samsung".

SK hynix SL308 2.5" 250GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) HFS250G32TND-N1A2A - Newegg.com

And this one, I need a new SSD too (more storage for some games, I can't afford a 500GB Range drive, but seeing this, 275GB, and I'm interested, already running an MX200 series 250GB, to see this, and its sold for much less than what I paid for the one I have now, which was almost $80... I'm intrigued by this as well.

Crucial MX300 2.5" 275GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CT275MX300SSD1 - Newegg.com

I am glad that I can use the SATA drives and I know I have in storage some unused SD drives and because back then they were geometrically more expensive as the capacity increased like 256 was 3 1/2 times as expensive as a 128 or such by SSD are probably a SATA I 150 rings a bell and maybe SATA II in there at 128 and 256. I recall one or two came with ghosting kits for all pcs and also adaptors for desktops which I think also allowed installing SW on a secondary before switching to a laptop's boot drive.

I don't want to put any additional money into this project because as you noted it's still a C2D proc although I think the P-procs were somewhat better and by the standards of that time it was a premium machine. The Blu-ray optical reader with HDMI connector is a nice touch although the 6.7 lb weight pushes it into desktop replacement weight without the DR props. Ironically the case is white and I think I'm building a white elephant () here but its all but new due to its history and I can park it next to a TV set in CA for when I'm out there...

ThanX for the advice,

DOOG

Blu-ray Optical reader, you mean Burner, the listed specs show several burner read speeds (guessing Burn speeds), BD-R and BD-RE are Record and Rewrite specs.

Unless this is an odd ball BR Reader, and reads different BR media at different speeds, but typically when those are listed they are referring to Blu Ray burner speeds.

Given this is a Sony Vaio, I wouldn't be surprised if it had a Blu Ray Burner in it back then, even if they were nearly unheard of, Vaio's have always been over built multimedia machines, even pioneering certain Media devices or software or uses before they became mainstream.

But then again, even if it was an older Blu Ray Burner drive, it will still take an eternity to fill up a standard 25GB Bluray disc, let alone 50GB discs if it even supported them.

With the old SSD's, the interface should be SATA and the same, you'll just need to make sure their 2.5" size, and the proper thickness.

Some of those old SSD's were actually also released as 3.5" size drives too, some of the original ones I remember seeing in that size, but most were 2.5" like they are today.

Blu-Ray Disc™ Support: Yes (read only ) (BDROM/
    Actually it is only a reader (playback) in Blu-ray. It records (and plays back) as a conventional DVR-CD only. I don't know why SONY didn't want a two-way BD read-write machine in its laptop...maybe it was price niching it and had a more expensive machine out there that could do both. Anyhow , I didn't see all that much advantage in Blu-ray recording because the discs were more expensive ones to make into coaster

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information