+ Reply to Thread
    BBA

How to get permanently rid of deleted files ( IE: TIFs )

Thanks to the latest XPNews letter.

It links to a MS page about deleting files permanently. I think using this method to get rid of temporary internet files is probably the only way to really do it.

The real issue is if you use NTFS file system, the TIFs are encrypted when created, so a copy of every file also gets created. To delete the copy and prevent the file from being recovered by IE when it is started, you must delete or overwrite the encrypted file. The manual deletion process only removes the file allocation for the files, not the files themselves, and that is why they magically 're-apear' when windows is restarted. To get rid of them, you can overwrite them either one by one or by using the cipher tool included with XP.

Here are some excerpts from the MS article:

When you delete files or folders, the data is not initially removed from the hard disk. Instead, the space on the disk that was occupied by the deleted data is "deallocated." After it is deallocated, the space is available for use when new data is written to the disk. Until the space is overwritten, it is possible to recover the deleted data by using a low-level disk editor or data-recovery software.

If you create files in plain text and then encrypt them, Encrypting File System (EFS) makes a backup copy of the file so that, if an error occurs during the encryption process, the data is not lost. After the encryption is complete, the backup copy is deleted. As with other deleted files, the data is not completely removed until it has been overwritten. The new version of the Cipher utility is designed to prevent unauthorized recovery of such data.

To overwrite deleted data on a volume by using Cipher.exe, use the /w switch with the cipher command. Use the following steps:
    Quit all programs.

Click Start , click Run , type cmd , and then press ENTER.

Type
    cipher /w: driveletter :\ foldername

, and then press ENTER. Specify the drive and the folder in which you want to overwrite the deleted data.

Data that is not allocated to files or folders will be overwritten. This permanently removes the data. This can take a long time if you are overwriting a large amount of space.
    The article is here: HOW TO: Use Cipher.exe to Overwrite Deleted Data (Q315672)
    BBA

^Bump^

I must have missed this post the first time around, interesting info BBA
    "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything"

www.rjponzio.com

You could use Jetico Bestcrypt or Jetico BC Wipe. BC Wipe puts a delete with wiping option on your right click menu.

The real issue is if you use NTFS file system
    from what you quoted...NTFS with any files/folders set for encryption.

Another program that can securely delete files (not speaking of the copy created during encrption on NTFS) is PGP.

I can't get this to work. Has anyone done it? When I check the help page for cipher there is no /w switch like is described in the MS article.

anyone?

this is an old thread but I wasted a good long time searching the internet for this solution

should have just searched the forums

I followed the instructions linked above and freed up nearly 2GB

this is win 2k and I think it's been on 24/7 for about 12 months at least - I had no idea the TIFs could do that - I've been using things like tif-cln.bat and demo versions of sysmechanic but apparently the result was cosmetic

to get cipher.exe to work properly you'll have to log on as administrator then browse to the directory with the files

under my c:\Documents and Settings\me \Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files I had a further 29 directories containing close to 2500 files

Ya know, I'd like much easier ownership of the things I have paid for - is it really so much to ask for?

Hurry up gentoo (1.4 rc1 in X install at the moment)

All this does is securely delete files that were already deleted.
    Data that is not allocated to files or folders will be overwritten. This permanently removes the data.
    Addiitionally, I don't understand why BBA believes files will "magically 're-apear' when windows is restarted".

DVNT1 I'm not going to question that, but I really regained 2 GB on C:

When I go to command and browse the Temporary Internet Files now using dir /a I'm not seeing the 22 directories and other junk, only the desktop.ini

I'd like to know more about this as I am no expert

If you have more info to share (I'm thinking you could write a book anyway certainly on networking) I know that I and many others would be very grateful

I tried it with a temp internet file directory that had 5 megs of stuff.

First I deleted the 5megs of files. Then I ran the cipher /w:"c:\documents and settings\blah\blah\blah\". During the process I lost usable disk space (from 6.69gig free to less than 1meg free!) . It took 3 passes before it was done. When it was done I was back to a 5 meg gain.

the jester, not to say you didn't see the gain, I just think it was for some other reason or variable that isn't evident right now.

hmmm

DVNT1 you're usually on the money so I won't quibble

I guess the only variable here that I can think of is that I ran this under admin rather than my regular account which I haven't done with the other methods (system mechanic, tif-cln.bat, etc)

I was absolutely stunned to right click on that folder after almost 8 hours and finally see it reporting xK rather than xGb

like I said originally I searched hi and lo to get that space back so I was initially impressed

like I said above, I am not looking to disagree, but to get an answer, because I'm sure many others would like to get rid of those normally untouchable files/directories

For those who want to get rid of cache and/or history, either

- Change the file attributes of the index.dat to +r (read-only) while in DOS.

- Or delete the index.dat (in DOS) and create a *directory* called index.dat at the same place where index.dat *file* was. When you will reboot, Windows is bluffed and there is no file written to the IE's cache.
    I've tested it and it works pretty good, IE doesn't write anything to TIF but that's maybe too hard for a lot of people.

Not sure it's ok under 2/XP but it works for 9X/ME

Still for 9x/ME :

Here is a little trick to delete index.dat files. They can't be deleted or renamed while Windows is running but you can rename the folder where they are located. That's not enough to delete the index.dat because Windows has a pointer to the file (the explorer.exe program locks the file), even if the folder is renamed.
    But on the next reboot, Windows will recreate the folder and rebuild new index.dat file(s), if you have renamed more than one folder.
    So if you rename history\history.IE5 as history\old, you will able after the next reboot to delete the entire content of the "old" folder and the sub-folders which are now "orphans". You can do the same for content.IE5 folder.
    If you don't want to mess with DOS to delete them and if you dont want to use a third-party tool, just rename your folders.

HTH

Pierre.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information