+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AVG doesn't catch everything

I have had some weird things going on.Windows shutting down on it's own,errors of all kinds,programs not responding,ect.So I know I have a virus.I have been running AVG 6.0,along with the new AdAware,updates on both are current.I found nothing.
    I went to Housecall, and ran thier test which found 5 viruses,and I deleted/repaired them,and now performance is back up

SO today I pickup a copy of Nortons Systemworks,installed it ran the updates,and ran a complete test.It found 41 Reg errors,several other files structure errors,and yet another trojan.I always ran AVG,but it just doesn't seem to be doing the job anymore.And now the system is running great
    The impossible takes more time,and costs more money.
    Check out my band Saving Silence

Never heard of AVG? Good choice getting Norton.

PC-cillin is what I use and I never have any problems. Knock on wood.
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/enterprise.htm

Leader of the Crab People Redwolf's Avatar
    Heh, and the whole reason I switched to AVG was because when I used Pc-Cillin, it didn't detect everything. Ah well, nothing's perfect.

Living the dream The Real Bingo's Avatar
    My favorite is when AVG finds something, but can't do anything with it.

I'v never had a problem with AVG not catching somthing. But its always good to run 2 or more virus scanners.(I run Housecall along side of AVG) There isn't one virus scanner out thee that will catch everything.

Also FYI, AVG doesn't scan the registry or detect corrupted files, only viruses. Norton Systemworks is a who suit of program to keep your computer in top notch shape, its not just a virus scanner. But then again, with the big resource hog norton is, its like as if its a virus in itself.

You can find a free version of programs on the internet that does the same thing as norton, sometimes even better. EX: diskdefraggers, registry cleaners, file structure scanners (or whatever there called, windows has one built in) etc...
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

"AVG doesn't catch everything"

IMO, no virus scanner catches anything. Although I have used norton for years and have never had any problems.

Blog Entries
    I have run AVG for quite a while now and have had no problems, but I am religous about updates on Windows as well as AVG, and every once in awhile I run house call to double check.

BTW I have a distinct dislike for Norton, too big of a resource hog. I have run McAfee before and had very few problems with that as well. But there are times when AVG will catch something and can't do anything with it.

That is a little bothersome.

AVG with http://trendmicro.com Free Online Scan to make sure.

Just last night trendmicro's scan picked up what AVG missed. A minor trojan like app. Not even sure if it really was a virus of any kind really. Neither trend nor AVG could remove it. I had to do it from an alternate O/S.

Cheers!

I am plauged with viruses,and mostly because the kids like to click on all the banners and crud on websites.
    I'm wondering if I'm not getting them fom the ISP
    The impossible takes more time,and costs more money.
    Check out my band Saving Silence

Living the dream The Real Bingo's Avatar
    There's your problem. You can't ensure a clean computer with kids messing around on it. My brother primarily uses the "family" computer, and when I check it with Ad-Aware, it is infested with garbage. Even processes. Make it a kid-free computer.

hmmmm.. just incase some people may not know.. housecall is from the creator of PC-Cillin Anti-Virus which is TrendMicro..

Ultimate Member
    this may seem stupid but anytime i am on E Bay chat site not to
    long after this i get E-mails with virus and Trojans in them coincidence ,i think
    not

Ya I've found that avg will find a virus and not be able to do anything about it, or it can't scan certain files. It won't even scan my D drive propperly. But I still use it on my sons computer.
    I use Norton on my desktop and Mcaffee on my laptop.

C.
    C.

And then sometimes AVG catches things that mistakes it for a virus.

Today while I was running Adaware 6.0, and a message comes up from AVG saying it detected a virus. The virus was located in the adaware folder and was a file used by adaware to scan. Then another message came out again from AVG saying it detected a trojan in the Adaware folder. This time it sais it was the run32.dll file in the adaware folder. lol, AVG gets a bit jumpy sometimes.
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

AVG catches most viruses. HouseCalls catches some that AVG doesn't. Some viruses have the ability to fool installed anti-virus programs. The online scans sometimes catches these.

There is one that seems to try to fool HouseCalls. When I get ready to have a HouseCall I was getting a message "The <filename> you have is newer than the one we want to install. Keep the current file?" I got in the habit of automatically answering "yes." Then I thought, why would I ALREADY have a newer file than MicroTrend? Then I answered, "NO." A few viruses came popping up! Tricky devils.

At least to me, Norton thinks everything is a virus.
    RayH42450@gmail.com
    Please indicate you are from TechIMO in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam :)

no antivirus program will catch "everything"

and you get what you pay for. AVG is free. however, it is a very good antivirus considering that it is free.

Talking Never

Quote Originally Posted by Brainchild View Post
    I am plauged with viruses,and mostly because the kids like to click on all the banners and crud on websites.
    I'm wondering if I'm not getting them fom the ISP
    Your ISP Can not and will not put viruses on your computer. Use the 2012 Norton Antivirus and you will be happy. It's good and it doesn't slow your computer down like the older versions used to. AVG sucks! I've installed Norton on many computers running slow or giving a huge amount of grief that AVG was running on and Norton pulled out viruses every time.

You know what you get for free or next to free don't you? NOTHING or at least a whole lot of crap!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Avira is the one to get. But don't take it for me. READ! AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Comparatives & Reviews

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Agreed, Avira is the one to go for.

And that comment about "You know what you get for free or next to free don't you? NOTHING or at least a whole lot of crap!"

Is a whole lot of Crap as well... Just sayin'.

Keep in mind, the Post you quoted and replied to is also over 7.5 years old.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information