+ Reply to Thread

Windows Operating System Growing

I have a 40g HDD partitioned into 4 parts. This leaves me with about 9.7G for my operating system partition. On this partition is windows XP Home. Everytime I install something it is install on another partition.

Why has my windows partition grown to 6G? I don't understand what is using all of the room? How can I ensure that I don't fill the partition?

It could be XP.

just joking.

The simple answer is that you can't ensure it. The idea of partitioning in this manner is silly, as you can read by my numerous other posts about why partitioning is actually BAD for speed and performance. Here is yet another example of where partitioning causes a problem for a user.

In short, when you install a program, let's take Microsoft Office XP, for example, it allows you to install the directory to an alternative location than the standard C:\Program Files. It installs most of the program files, then, to the location you specify, in this case we'll say you decided to install to D:\Program Files. While most of the files will go onto the D drive, there are still many that end up in C:\Windows and C:\Program Files\Application Data or C:\Program Files\Common, etc. These files NEED to be on the operating system drive for the program to run. They are library files that the installers insist on putting on the OS drive and there is NOTHING you can do about it.

Another reason is that most internet temporary files are stored on C, even if you move your My Documents folder elsewhere. Clean those out frequently and limit their size to about 25MB or 50MB, at the very most - the default on some systems is over 1000MB!

In short, the simplest way to avoid this problem, though, is to NOT PARTITION your drive. It's a silly idea with the speed of modern drives and actually slows your PC down rather than speeding it out by forcing the drive to be fragmented across four physically different locations on the same platters. Not a good idea at all.

People say that it's great for keeping your stuff when you format - that is BS. 90% of your programs installed to other drives or partitions won't work after you format your OS partition and reinstall - everyone knows that! Why? Well, remember those files filling up your C drive mysteriously from the Office XP installation we discussed a moment ago? They are NEEDED for Office to run. Without them - as well as the windows registry (also erased in a format), the program won't even load.

So much for partitioning being some great idea. My suggestion - if you want to backup your personal files, get a DVD burner and a stack of DVD's. When you format, burn the data you want onto those and put it back on when you are done with the format. With blank DVD's less than $0.75 each these days and holding 4.7GB each, you really can't go wrong.

Another good idea would simply be to get a second hard drive for the system - then backup your data to that physical drive when you are going to format... and restore it later when you want it back. They are so cheap today ($60 for 160GB), why NOT do this?
    Logic shall prevail.

Retired mostly.
    Probably system restore service creating restore points.

Thanks for the excellent feedback. I was told that having OS files on one partition speeds things up because it reduces the access time to OS files. I also liked the idea that system restore is eating up by drive space, that never occured to me. I think what I am going to do is reinstall everything on an 80G drive without partitions. I can then use the 40G drive for personal files, pictures and music. Are you sure that using an 80G will not make the operating system slow and messy?

Super F@D Folder
    no....if the 80 gig drive is newer it'll probably run faster
    i have a 160 gig drive that is sooooooo much faster than my 40 gig. the only thing that may..repeat may be increased is your seek time...but even that, if it's a new drive should be better than an older drive. I wouldn't see any reason against using an 80 gig. the only thing i make a second partition for is my school stuff. I have a 4 gig partition for all school stuff...papers, projects....i use a lot of powerpoints so that's why it's 4 gigs...i'd only have 1 gig if it was just papers...but u kno how it goes. I also left like 10 gigs raw space if i ever needed a partition for something. but then again..i have a 160 gig drive...and i'm not going to need it all for a long long time. I agree though..that to make seperate partitions for your os and programs is a waste and a hastle...i know some who make a partition for os and programs, and a seperate partition for all their files and stuff...school work...saved stuff....that kinda jazz. That works out fine....just depends on what you need.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information