+ Reply to Thread

Deleting Orphan File Record...

I turn on my pc and open winamp. Winamp brings up some errors about my secondary hd is corrupt and I didnt get the details of the message before my pc restarted. It started up windows like normal then after the loading screen with the lil blue bar at the bottom it started doing something. I freaked out cuz it said deleting in all the text flying by real fast so I turned off my pc and here I am on my laptop.

The message that was flying by said "Deleting orphan file record segment" then some numbers that kept growing.

I run windows 2000 on amd xp 2800, 500+ some ram.

Thats just chkdsk running fixing your file system. As long as nothing is wrong with your HDD you should be fine, iv had this happen a few times before. Just let it run.

Angry

Ok I just let it run and now years of files and work is all gone. It erased my whole hd.

That really sucks but checkdisk or scandisk or whatever it is called will probably run every time you shut your computer down wrong. Ive never seen it delete large files but it must have identified all of them as damaged or unreadable. But that is just what i think their are smarter people here who can tell you more. If i was u i would just try to be careful to wait till it tells you it is now safe to shut down windows or it will shut itself down automatically and back important stuff up on another hd or disks they dont hold alot but they are really cheap now anyway.
    Last edited by Thingamadude; March 9th, 2005 at 05:12 PM.

I dont understand why that happened I dont just pull the plug to turn off my pc. I have never seen chkdsk do its thing before so if you say it runs if windows isnt shut down properly then I must have been doing it right all these years. I also dont understand why this would just happen out of the blue.

Things can be undeleted so don't write it all off just yet.

However the first order of business is to find out what caused this, just to make sure it wasn't some kind of virus or trojan. Once you determine the HD is safe then get a recovery program that will allow you to recover deleted files.

I scanned for viruses and got nothing. I got a hd recovery program and it scanned the hd all day long and now that its finished it recovered nothing just whats on it nothing.

Bummer

Sorry to hear you lost all that. I'm trying to recover some stuff for a co-worker and it's not looking good. I ran chkdsk and it is now deleting over 100 orphan files. I couldn't get into the drive before, now I don't know what will be left.

TO HELP

it's true that chkdsk can really help you with that problem..if you are using a desktop remove your hd and parallel your hd to the other computer using the same O.S. (operating system). In some cases the chkdsk run at the startup some are don't so you have to open a command promt on your pc then locate what drive letter is assigned to your hd then type this...

chkdsk e: /f /r

e: is the assigned drive letter

/f Fixes errors on the disk. The disk must be locked. If chkdsk cannot lock the drive, a message appears that asks you if you want to check the drive the next time you restart the computer.

/r Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. The disk must be locked.

that's all..

then if you are using a laptop..then it happens you need your windows cd..
    then run repair console..

more questions can be answered just email me r_sanz15@yahoo.com
    Last edited by justwanttohelp; November 11th, 2011 at 03:27 AM.

TO HELP

it's true that chkdsk can really help you with that problem..if you are using a desktop remove your hd and parallel your hd to the other computer using the same O.S. (operating system). In some cases the chkdsk run at the startup some are don't so you have to open a command promt on your pc then locate what drive letter is assigned to your hd then type this...

chkdsk e: /f /r

e: is the assigned drive letter

/f Fixes errors on the disk. The disk must be locked. If chkdsk cannot lock the drive, a message appears that asks you if you want to check the drive the next time you restart the computer.

/r Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. The disk must be locked.

that's all..

then if you are using a laptop..then it happens you need your windows cd..
    then run repair console..

more questions can be answered just email me r_sanz15@yahoo.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information