Thread: ZoneAlarm problem
March 5th, 2002, 06:30 AM #1
ZoneAlarm forgets its settings. After I reboot it askes me for every program again for permission.
Everytime I check the "remember the answer next time", but after reboot it askes the question again.
It worked fine before...
March 5th, 2002, 07:11 AM #2
Mine is doing this! Anyone know the answer?--
All Your Cats Are Belong to Us
March 5th, 2002, 07:40 AM #3
Are you using the Pro or freeware version? If the latter, perhaps they are trying to tell you something. Since I have the "paid for version" I could submit the problem to tech for you if no one else comes up with the answer. But again, it may be a problem with the freeware version.
March 5th, 2002, 07:40 AM #4
- Join Date
- Oct 2001
Do the programs appear in the recognized list anyway?
Where are the ticks placed?
March 5th, 2002, 07:59 AM #5
There should be something worng ...
My free version never did that .. always remember all programs that is allowed or not to access the internet ...
March 5th, 2002, 08:04 AM #6
Well I did an update and reinstalled it and the problem is now fixed (ofcourse). But I wonder for howlong.
Thanks for your help.
March 5th, 2002, 08:09 AM #7
Another strange thing is that the icons are displayed again in the box above "programs". They showed up as only a "window" icon not as 16 color icon copy.
March 5th, 2002, 11:49 AM #8
- Join Date
- Feb 2002
I also just recently got this issue with my XP box. My Win 98 and Me boxes are all doing fine. I'm using the latest freeware version of ZoneAlarm.
March 5th, 2002, 01:09 PM #9
This is what tech had to say:
We apologize for the delay in responding to your email. Due to overwhelming response to our latest releases, we are processing many more emails than usual.
There may be a problem with your TrueVector service. ZoneAlarm is dependent on its TrueVector service to function properly. You may need to refresh the files associated with this service, especially:
- if your Program permissions change by themselves
- if you are experiencing password problems, this is the ONLY way to remove a password
- after updating your ZoneAlarm software and are experiencing difficulties
- after a networking or OS/MSOffice change (including patches and Service Packs).
If the Configure panel is displaying TrueVector driver as loaded and ZoneAlarm is still not functioning properly, it is possible that some files have become corrupt. To repair this problem, please follow these steps. Please note that this will remove your program permissions and Local Zone settings (so you may want to make note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process; you will be prompted again for program access for all the applications that you use to access the local network or Internet.
1. If you are running Windows 95, 98, ME, XP or 2000, reboot your system into either Safe Mode. The method is determined by your OS but normally either pressing F8 at the beep, or holding the control key during bootup works. For more information on rebooting in Safe Mode, click Start, then Help. Click the Search tab, and type in "Safe Mode". Double-click "Start Windows in Safe Mode" for the instructions.
NOTE - Do NOT start ZA/ZAP while in Safe Mode, or you will not be able to make the changes necessary.
2. Open the Internet Logs directory (in 95/98/ME this will be "c:\windows\internet logs", in NT and 2000 it will be c:\winnt\internet logs, in Windows XP it could be either of these folders). If you need to keep a copy of old alerts, copy the ZAlog.txt file to another location first - then delete ALL files in this folder.
3. Empty your Recycle Bin.
4. Reboot your system.
If you are running Windows NT and cannot delete these files, try the following from an Administrative account:
(If you do not know how to do something, click Start, Help for more information)
- Search for vsmon.exe and rename the file. REMEMBER what you changed it to!
- Shut down ZA/ZAP. It doesn't matter if there's a password on it or not.
- Delete the files referenced in step 2 above.
- Change the renamed file back to vsmon.exe"
March 5th, 2002, 01:33 PM #10
Thanks for the trouble, TOAD6147
Now I know what to do the next time. And yep its on XP.
March 5th, 2002, 02:10 PM #11
- Join Date
- Feb 2002
I was having intermittent vector errors before. I'll print this out and keep it handy. Thank you TOAD6147!
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)