+ Reply to Thread

Setting up hard drive for WinXP

I have an old computer with a 16GB hard drive that I want to install Windows XP on. It currently has Windows 98SE installed on it. How do I go about formatting the hard drive to set it up for Windows XP? I know there are file system diffrences, or something along those lines (NTFS? FAT32? Huh?) Thanks!
    D'oh!

How to Install Windows XP on a used drive
    It is recommended that you use NTFS with Windows XP because of its advanced performance, security, and reliability features.
    Last edited by Martoch; August 8th, 2005 at 11:04 PM.

Is there a way to format the hard drive from DOS?
    D'oh!

Of course, just boot to a Windows 98 bootdisk (check out www.bootdisk.com) and format it the old fashioned way. Why would you want to do it that way? It really doesn't get any easier than doing it through the XP disc.
    Last edited by Martoch; August 8th, 2005 at 11:14 PM.

Well, all I have is a recovery disk. I had Windows 98 installed, then I restared the computer with the Windows XP recovery disk. When it booted I selected "Reinstall Windows XP." (Or something like that) It seemed to work, but when it was finished and I removed the CD, and booted normally, it kept restarting right before it would normally show the "Windows XP" logo and progress bar. It would keep doing that in a loop. So now, because I can't use the CD to format my HDD, I need to do it with DOS. And I also need to know what commands to put in, that link confused me... what command do I use?
    D'oh!

XP Home, I assume? What kind of recovery disc is it? (Dell, Compaq, etc) Does it say Windows XP Home on the disc or does it just say recovery?
    Will this work for you?
    After you create all six disks, insert the first disk in the floppy disk drive, and then restart the computer. Note that the computer must be configured to boot from the floppy disk drive. In some cases, you may need to modify your computer's BIOS settings to do this.

The Setup process starts. Insert the other floppy disks as you are prompted to do so. Note that you will need to use the Windows XP CD-ROM to finish Setup.
    Last edited by Martoch; August 8th, 2005 at 11:44 PM.

It says Windows XP Home recovery. It's an eMachines. So I just insert all the disks as prompted, then the CD, and it will format and set up the hard drive for me? Thank you for your time, by the way!
    D'oh!

So you're 100% sure you can't boot to the recovery disc?
    I've never used a recovery disc (or an eMachine).
    Which eMachine do you have? I'm reading about eMachine 2 disc recovery sets...does that apply to you?
    (I've gotta go to bed, my wife is waiting patiently...but soon to be impatiently)
    Last edited by Martoch; August 9th, 2005 at 12:10 AM.

Its an old eMachine 433i. THe recovery disk had come from a newer T2682. I can boot to the recovery disk, but the only two options are "Reinstall windows XP" and "Boot to command prompt." I tried the first, and it gave me that loop problem. So I can boot from a CD, its just that this CD is no help. So I have to go through DOS. Or these disks you helped me find, if they will solve the problem.

Yes, I have a 2-disk set.

Goodnight then, thank you for your help. And please try to get on whenever possible to help me, you're the most helpful user I've seen. (No offense to those who have helped me before) Thanks again!
    D'oh!

I couldn't resist posting!

Ahh, I see...well I wish I would have known this earlier. Shame on you for not telling me, I stupidly assumed you had a true XP disc.

Those recovery discs are ONLY meant for the system they came with...part of the recovery information is stored on the system's drive, so trying that disc on another computer and having it work just isn't likely. Do you have ANY operating system discs? 98, ME, XP?

Keep in mind, installing XP Home on more than one computer isn't legal...so I can't really help you much more as our forum abides by legality issues.

Thanks for the kind words.
    Last edited by Martoch; August 9th, 2005 at 12:35 AM.

Well I certainly don't want to do anything illegal...

The problem is, I have Windows 98SE installed on the old computer. I bought a 802.11b Wireless PCI card. When I bought it off the seller on eBay, it said that it works with Windows 98SE. When I finally got the card, the box it came in said only 2000/ME/XP (Dispite what the seller told me). I tried installing the card anyway, but the software wouldn't install, and I can only assume that the OS is the problem. So I wanted to just try XP to see if it would work. Is there possibly a way around this problem?

And why is it that a recovery disk can't work on another eMachines computer, what is preventing it from working properly?

Thanks again
    D'oh!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information