+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can't turn on Automatic Updates for Windows XP.

I'd like to turn on Automatic Updates on my Windows XP installation but the check boxes are all greyed out and there seems to be no way to do this. When I open the Security Centre and click on 'Turn on Automatic Updates' I get a message saying Automatic Updates could not be turned on and suggesting I try to do it manually by going to System Properties but as I've already indicated when I do this the choices are all greyed out.

I'm not sure that reinstalling Windows XP would fix this as I think I tried this once before and all the choices remained greyed out. I'm wandering if there is a registry entry or some file I could modify to give me back the choices. I have no idea how the computer came to be this way or if any particular program caused it and I'm certainly not prepared to format my hard drive and do a fresh install of everything just to turn this setting on and even if I did there is a good chance it would happen again at some point as I installed all my programs.
    Last edited by mareke; May 22nd, 2006 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks for the suggestion. Background Intelligent services was set to manual but after setting it to Automatic and rebooting it did no good and I still can't get Automatic Updates. The Security Centre Icon does not come up in the tray at the bottom of the screen so it must not be working properly. Some program I installed must be stopping it working properly. Unless I can get the security centre icon to appear in the tray I donít think I will be able to get Automatic Updates. The Security Centre is definitely set to start when the computer boots and it is listed as running yet it doesn't show in the bottom tray so it's not working the way it should.
    Last edited by mareke; May 23rd, 2006 at 04:52 PM.

Thumbs up A possible fix for your security update problem

I had the same problem and was able to fix it with a registry entry. Backup your registry.

Go into regedit
    Find the key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\au
    In the right pane, look for a key called noautoupdate
    Change the value from a 1 to a 0. Try going into your update and see if the grey out is gone; if not delete that key. That should do the trick. Let me know if that worked.
    Last edited by iamcurious-sorry; June 13th, 2006 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Misspelled word

Security update fix

Going to where you specified the closest I could find to the entry you described is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\curr ent version\WindowsUpdate\Auto Updates

However I found noautoupdate under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Changing the value from 1 to 0 did no good. It just changed it back to 1 on a reboot. Deleting the entry also did no good as it just reinstalled a backup with the AU value back to 1.

I also tried deleting the first entry mentioned above, the Auto Updates entry, hoping it would reinstall a default version and it would be fixed but the area is still greyed out on the Automatic Updates box when I bring it up.

Thanks anyhow for taking the time and trouble to post the suggestion.

I may continue to play around a bit with entries in these places in the registry in the hope of finding a solution.

I tried using another computer I have that has the Automatic Updates options available and importing the registry setting at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate\AU
    into my registry.

After I do it the Security Centre in Control Panel shows Automatic Updates turned on and a green colour but after a reboot everything goes back to the way it was before with it turned off again.

The only program I can think of that may cause it is xp-AntiSpy ( http://xp-antispy.org/index.php?opti...sellang&iso=en ) but Iím pretty sure itís not responsible as all settings can be reversed and it makes no difference as the automatic Updates remain greyed out.

this happened to me

yeah so i have windows xp and the automatic updates was greyed out and theni couldnt install the updates or turn them to automatic

i also had Microsoft steady state installed and i had to where it would do it for me i uchecked it and now it works fine

Thumbs up Solution

Download a small program called Dial-a-fix. Sorted out windows auto update in seconds.

http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-...C_and_articles

Thumbs up dial a fix

I had the same problem, and the Dial-A-Fix program worked as advertised - fixed it up in a minute. Thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated!

Dial a Fix

Thank-you so much for posting that link...it worked like a charm...i was almost wanting to cry when i couldnt figure it out...lol thank-you thank-you thank-you !

Dial a Fix

Thank-you so much for posting that link...it worked like a charm...i was almost wanting to cry when i couldnt figure it out...lol thank-you thank-you thank-you !

Same problem but worst

Hi, i tried doin the same thing but for some uknown reasson those files dont actually exist on my pc... any ideas of what might be wrong..? Im pretty sure my pc was infected by some kind of malware....please help..!!

THANK you !!!

I downloaded the "Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24.zip" file from the link supplied above, and it FIXED my problem with not being able to update successfully...!

Thanks very much.
    Appreciate it !

Paul M.
    NYC

THANK you !!!

yes the dial-a-fix worked to restore the updates panel that would not open for me. The problem now is that it somewhat slow to open.

Planet73

I had the same problem after a virus attack. I used Dial-a-Fix and it worked as well. Really appreciate the advice and help..

Exclamation Autoupdate not working

My automatic update is not working! I had an attack from XP antispyware 2011. Manged to get rid of it. Next thing I knew I was getting alerts that my autoupdate was off, I tried to turn it on but was directed to system properties and autoupdate. Found out that that the autoupdate was selected. Hence dont know why security centre does not recognise it. Already tried scanning with antivirus/spyware and malware but no change. Please help.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dontreallygivea View Post
    Download a small program called Dial-a-fix. Sorted out windows auto update in seconds.

http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-...C_and_articles
    Great post, fixed it in a jiffy!

I think MS stoped support for XP w/ SP2, so if you have sp2 try going to sp3'
    Just a thought.
    You can't get there from here

Windows XP Automatic Update Issues

My automatic update stopped working after I had an attack from XP antispyware 2011. Manged to get rid of it by installing Melawarebytes. I started getting alerts that my autoupdate was off, I tried to turn it on but was directed to control panel for autoupdate where the autoupdate was already selected. Tried to update from windows website but of no help.

I read the solution posted by "dontreallygivea" and the success stories posted by other members. Decided to try Dial-a-Fix and it worked amazingly well. Only thing is the first dowload link didn't work and dowloaded from the second link. Thanks a lot for relieving me of this annoying issue

Regards,
    Ganesh

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information