+ Reply to Thread

I need to insert text comments into .PDF files

I get a lot of CAD drawings on PDF files.

What do I need to have to be able to add comments so I can send them back in .PDF to the sender?

I don't care of they revert to CAD.dwg or not, the sender has the original CAD drawings anyway.

Thanks in Advance...
    Bumper Sticker in San Jose, CA: "Dear God, Send Us One More Tech Boom. I Promise Not to Piss it All Away!"

To add comments they should just send in DWG format so that you can make direct changes.

If you use a PDF writer (such as the full version of Acrobat) - the return PDF will have changes that will have to be typed into CAD anyways.

Might as well type it just once by altering the DWG and returning it to the source.

If the author doesn't want their DWG out in the world or changed by third parties - than I would just return an e-mail with text comments referring to the drawing number.

But if the comments involve graphical changes - try this

Open the PDF full screen
    Hit Alt - PrintScreen at the same time
    Paste into Paint
    Make your line and text changes
    Save as JPG
    Send back and let the source worry about getting the JPG details into the original CAD file.

I'll try that Paint idea.

Thank you.

Part of the DWG problem is bandwidth. Hotels usually are OK connection wise, but lack bandwidth for large files, so tradition dictates .pdf.

Plus, once I did a .dwg alteration and the architect didn't catch it and published my detail, which was a no-harm no foul, but could have been.

Thanks for you input.
    Bumper Sticker in San Jose, CA: "Dear God, Send Us One More Tech Boom. I Promise Not to Piss it All Away!"

"PDF-XChange Viewer is an alternative viewer for PDF files that enables you to view and annotate PDF files. You can add text, sticky notes, and other annotations and save them to the file, which will be compatible with the standard Adobe PDF reader. The program also includes a handy loupe tool to zoom in on selected areas of a document, as well as options to extract text and images, export a documents to image formats, and more. PDF-XChange Viewer offers a modern, tabbed interface and an attractive set of features not commonly found in free PDF viewers."

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pdfxchangeviewer.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    I'll try that Paint idea.

Thank you.

Part of the DWG problem is bandwidth. Hotels usually are OK connection wise, but lack bandwidth for large files, so tradition dictates .pdf.

Plus, once I did a .dwg alteration and the architect didn't catch it and published my detail, which was a no-harm no foul, but could have been.

Thanks for you input.
    That right there is one of the biggest reasons the office I worked in this summer only sent out pdf or paper copies of our engineering designs. Another reason is the liability if a client would make a change and reprint without consulting the engineer or designer and present the idea to a code official or some other figure who would blame the designer for changes that the client made.

Our office spent the money on Adobe Acrobat Professional and we all feel that it was well worth it. If there is a cheaper (or even free alternative) I would suggest checking it out, but you can't go wrong with choosing the professional software.
    I don't like signatures.

Be sure to check the date of the original post... We all get snookered at least once!

Welcome to Techimo!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information