+ Reply to Thread

OS/Desktop for Kids

Ok, well, I have a spare computer that I'd like to put back together and get running for my 2 year old, who's constantly fascinated with mine and his mother's computer. He even uses the mouse to click things and such. So, I've been looking around and found some Desktop applications that limit OS functionality like I want, but they charge $30-70 and I don't want to pay anything.

I'm sure there's a free way of doing this, so I figured I'd ask the trusty people at TechIMO if they know of anything like this that's free:

Make Any PC Kid-Friendly

I basically want something that has some fun young kid games, doesn't allow him to do anything with the computer itself (nothing OS related), only let's him run apps that I've setup for his "desktop" and is something simple yet fun enough for my kid to enjoy. Any suggestions?
    My Rig:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.16||6GB OCZ Rev2 DDR2 800 @ 1:1 ratio
    MSI 975X Platinum||GTX 275 896MB ||WD Black 640GB and 2x80GB RAID 0

If you have Xp already, this is what you need. It's free and you can setup the way you want. I've tried it before and awesome tool. It basically turn your PC to Kiosk machine.

Windows SteadyState in a Kiosk or Internet Café

Edubuntu. An educational OS.

Just download a colourful OS theme, put a cool wallpaper on and a few kiddie games worked great for me when i was small

Yeah, I saw edubuntu...How good are the kid's games for linux for the 2-4 year range?

I didn't know about Windows SteadyState. Definitely sounds interesting and a viable solution. I may try linux first and then see how that goes. If it doesn't work out then switch back to windows and give SteadyState a go.

Any good sites to download good young kid's games?
    My Rig:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.16||6GB OCZ Rev2 DDR2 800 @ 1:1 ratio
    MSI 975X Platinum||GTX 275 896MB ||WD Black 640GB and 2x80GB RAID 0

Smile Kids os

Quote Originally Posted by fpantovich View Post
    Ok, well, I have a spare computer that I'd like to put back together and get running for my 2 year old, who's constantly fascinated with mine and his mother's computer. He even uses the mouse to click things and such. So, I've been looking around and found some Desktop applications that limit OS functionality like I want, but they charge $30-70 and I don't want to pay anything.

I'm sure there's a free way of doing this, so I figured I'd ask the trusty people at TechIMO if they know of anything like this that's free:

Make Any PC Kid-Friendly

I basically want something that has some fun young kid games, doesn't allow him to do anything with the computer itself (nothing OS related), only let's him run apps that I've setup for his "desktop" and is something simple yet fun enough for my kid to enjoy. Any suggestions?
    Qimo is designed foe kids. It is a Linux operating system and will boot from a CD so the kids cannot mess with your windows system or what ever system you are running

Quote Originally Posted by fpantovich View Post

Make Any PC Kid-Friendly

I have been looking for the same thing. I found Magic Desktop by easybits and Kid Desktop. I know that Kid Desktop is only $19.95 and you can download it right from the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by aRIfA4 View Post
    If you have Xp already, this is what you need. It's free and you can setup the way you want. I've tried it before and awesome tool. It basically turn your PC to Kiosk machine.

Windows SteadyState in a Kiosk or Internet Café

I would stay away from Win SteadyState.... Read here: Need Parental Control to limit time on computer!
    ◄ it is what it is ►

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information