+ Reply to Thread

Can I Delete Folders in Application Data?

Hello, I hope you are well. After I uninstall programs, many of them leave behind folders in my main Windows user's Application Data folder. Would it be completely safe to just go into Application Data and delete those folders? Thank you.

Additional Information: I am running Windows XP Home, Service Pack 3 on a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop computer.

Those folder contain personal data that relates to the programs specified. If you have no intention of ever reinstalling those apps, you can delete the data.

There is a benefit to keeping them. If you ever reinstall those apps, your preferences for them are stored there. You can just pick up where you left off.

Look - if you find that it's necessary to look for unused files to delete, you're either running short of drive space or you're bored stiff. If it's the former, get a bigger drive. They are cheap. If it's the latter, I don't know what to tell you. These files do not take up a lot of space.
    MCSE, MCP and nut job

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill View Post
    Those folder contain personal data that relates to the programs specified. If you have no intention of ever reinstalling those apps, you can delete the data.

There is a benefit to keeping them. If you ever reinstall those apps, your preferences for them are stored there. You can just pick up where you left off.

Look - if you find that it's necessary to look for unused files to delete, you're either running short of drive space or you're bored stiff. If it's the former, get a bigger drive. They are cheap. If it's the latter, I don't know what to tell you. These files do not take up a lot of space.
    Thank you very much for the reply. My main reason for asking this question is because I rarely go into the Application Data folder and when I did recently, I was surprised that programs I uninstalled over a year ago still have folders there. In any case, thanks for the help. I probably won't go in there to delete folders anytime in the future and just deleted a few this time around.

Cool Appdata doesn't take up a lot of space???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BipolarBill View Post
    "Look - if you find that it's necessary to look for unused files to delete, you're either running short of drive space or you're bored stiff. If it's the former, get a bigger drive. They are cheap. If it's the latter, I don't know what to tell you. These files do not take up a lot of space."

In looking for the reason my c drive was 2/3 full, I found a Temp folder taking up 123 GB of space inside the hidden Appdata folder. Would you say that's not a lot?

I really don't think mastavic deserved the nasty attitude embedded in BipolarBill's reply to his earnest question. I hope my note above ensures that the next person who looks to this thread for an answer can feel a bit vindicated and a lot less a fool for asking the question.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by redleaf View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BipolarBill View Post
    "Look - if you find that it's necessary to look for unused files to delete, you're either running short of drive space or you're bored stiff. If it's the former, get a bigger drive. They are cheap. If it's the latter, I don't know what to tell you. These files do not take up a lot of space."

In looking for the reason my c drive was 2/3 full, I found a Temp folder taking up 123 GB of space inside the hidden Appdata folder. Would you say that's not a lot?

I really don't think mastavic deserved the nasty attitude embedded in BipolarBill's reply to his earnest question. I hope my note above ensures that the next person who looks to this thread for an answer can feel a bit vindicated and a lot less a fool for asking the question.

Thanks redleaf. You're right, the hubris and condescension displayed by BipolarBill was totally uncalled for. And didn't really address the query whether it's safe to delete those files/folders.
    Thanks anyway, all of you.

WOW... I thought Bill's reply was spot on target.

Did you notice how mastavic said "thank you very much."

And YES he did say you can delete the files. Its in the second sentence
    "Life is unpredictable, eat dessert first."

Some folks require more Hand Holding than others...

I really don't think mastavic deserved the nasty attitude embedded in BipolarBill's reply to his earnest question.
    ..and who determines what's "embedded" in a message? That is, by definition, a personal opinion. Please keep yours to yourself. I was not "embedding" anything. Any sarcasm was right up front. I wish someone would have been straight with me about this stuff when I started out in PCs. If someone had, it may have saved me from trashing my operating system multiple times.

As to where you got 123GB of anything in a folder, that's a mystery. As I did say in my original reply, it's safe to delete. If you want, you can use a program like WinDirStat to locate crazy large folders:

WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics

By the way, your observation of my behavior will not change my approach one iota. I am what I am and I'm not changing because some pantywaist is upset with me.
    MCSE, MCP and nut job

Quote Originally Posted by aureolic View Post
    Thanks redleaf. You're right, the hubris and condescension displayed by BipolarBill was totally uncalled for. And didn't really address the query whether it's safe to delete those files/folders.
    Thanks anyway, all of you.
    Hubris? Condescension? You, sir, are a troll.
    MCSE, MCP and nut job

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill View Post
    Hubris? Condescension? You, sir, are a troll.
    I agree, to use those words followed by a full stop and capitalization of "And" is quite laughable. Troll indeed.

In looking for the reason my c drive was 2/3 full, I found a Temp folder taking up 123 GB of space inside the hidden Appdata folder.
    If you are sure that you have uninstalled the application and it has left behind 123 GB of space in its %appdata% directory, it might be because of its faulty uninstaller, and you can most probably safely delete it.

I recommend the freeware software, Revo Uninstaller to be used as an uninstaller, as it can check if a faulty uninstaller has left files in the system or entries in the registry. (I use the 'Moderate' mode, which has worked fine for me in most cases.)

If you haven't uninstalled the application, either the program has a bug or has some sort of cache function that needs a lot of disk space, either way, check out the software's manual, or forums on how to delete or limit the file(s) in %appdata% that consume a huge amount of space, or if the files(s) can be safely deleted manually.

You can use BiPolarBill's suggestion, WinDirStat to check out directories and files that take up a huge amount of space in your hard drive.
    Last edited by MantisToboggan; June 19th, 2011 at 03:26 AM.

This thread is nearly three years old, and yet people are still posting replies - especially messages that do not even relate to my original question?

I felt like I should step in and say something, even if it's short. I was completely fine with BipolarBill's reply. He provided very clear information in the first two paragraphs, and I was in no way offended by his third paragraph. I can see why some people may think that he's being aggressive and whatnot in the third paragraph, but I thought he was just being a bit sarcastic and was being straight with me. After all, I do agree that I just had a bit too much time on the computer (three years ago) and was trying to save hard drive space.

I hope this clears up things a bit. But let's get back on track regarding the Application Data folder - that is, if there are even any more questions about it that Bill hasn't already answered.

Vic

Thus we learn that te first rule of discussion forum psychology is to not read less than the first sentence.
    Verizon FiOS Tier 2 Technical Support

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information