+ Reply to Thread

Actual WineX benchmarks!

Look at the tomshardware article here.

It gives performance comparisons between winex and windows on identical hardware. Very nice. And the article is headed up by this great picture (source, Tom's Hardware):

EDIT: great, edits to title only show in the post...

the benchmarks don't suprise me. wine may claim not to be an emulator and winex may be directx in linux skin, but let's face it, it's still emulation, and anything done under emulation is NOT that fast... oh well, interesting article...

Agree completely with storm!!!
    Emulation is slow as a dog. That's why most of us simply rely on dual booting.!
    If Wine keeps maturing though, who knows, maybe we wont need windows after all!!

Thanks for the link!
    boo!

may contain mild peril SpookyEddy's Avatar
    let's face it, it's still emulation, and anything done under emulation is NOT that fast
    Wine/WineX is not an emulator & thats why it CAN be as fast

Because it is not an emulator their are no additional overheads & hence no reason why it can't be just as fast as running the code under Windows (as both are run natively). Atleast AFAIK

.....however the limiting factor is how well Transgaming coded their dll's etc. In theory they could have actually created more streamlined code & you could get higher fps than under Windows... but I would be the first to admit this isn't likely to happen

So IMO I can't see any reason why winex can't get faster & faster... eventually closing the gap with windows. After all it is still alpha software & I am sure a lot of work will go into implementing new features & increasing performance.

Regards

eddy
    Last edited by SpookyEddy; May 31st, 2002 at 11:53 AM.
    I dreamt that a large eagle circled the room three times and then got into bed with me and took all the blankets.

I know it can get faster (check out those Snes, and Playstation emus). But will they make it faster?!!?

I thinkn that's the mayor reason I haven't tried Wine yet. I know it will be slow as hell. Oh.. and keep in mind that Tomshardware is running the benchmark with a high flying Athlon XP. What about the guys (like me) that don't have that kind of power.!?!?!?
    boo!

may contain mild peril SpookyEddy's Avatar
    I know it will be slow as hell
    hmmm..... well it played RTCW great on my duron & thats a fairly new game, so its not that slow IMO
    I dreamt that a large eagle circled the room three times and then got into bed with me and took all the blankets.

Hmmm.. I don't know.. I think that after you get used to the smooth animation from within windows, any drop in frame will irritate me!!!!

I'm staying with TuxRacer!!!! lol
    boo!

I just started play RTCW under WineX on an Athlon 1.33ghz with a 32mb TNT2 M64. This thing runs no slower then my friends box in Windows with a GeForce 2 MX. WineX rocks.

BTW, any Quake 3 players up for a game?
    /me has Q3 for Linux.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information