+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Upgrading to Windows 7 on Dell Vostro 1500 (Regarding Drivers)

Hello, I hope you are doing well.

I am currently using a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop and running Windows XP, Service Pack 3. Windows XP came with this laptop when I purchased it from Dell approximately two years ago, and I am now planning to upgrade to Windows 7. For the past two years, I have been getting my driver updates strictly from Dell's official site for this laptop, here: Drivers & Downloads

That page only applies to Windows XP and Windows Vista, as the Vostro 1500 never came with Windows 7 and Dell no longer manufactures the Vostro 1500. Once I upgrade to Windows 7, how would I continue getting driver updates?

I plan to format my hard drive after saving important files (my documents and programs), then installing Windows 7 on a clean, reformatted hard drive. When I formatted my hard drive in the past, I relied on the Dell drivers site to get applications to connect to the Internet, get BIOS updates, etc. Will it still be fine if I download the drivers and applications from that site and use it for Windows 7?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. This is the first time I am upgrading an operating system in my entire life.

Thank you,
    Vic

Not Really a Member
    its possible Windows 7 will include drivers for your devices, but it is unlikely you'll be receiving any driver updates for 7

also FYI, you can't do a standard upgrade from XP to 7
    You'll have to a do a fresh install
    Windows XP Can Upgrade to Windows 7, Sorta - Tom's Hardware
    Helicopters don't fly; they vibrate so much and make so much noise that the earth rejects them.

Download and run the Upgrade Advisor
    Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

In general, if your PC can run Windows Vista, it can run Windows 7. But if you're not running Windows Vista, or are just not sure if your system is ready to run Windows 7, there's a quick way to do a simple check.

Just download, install, and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta. You'll get a report telling you if your PC can run Windows 7 and if there are any known compatibility issues. If an issue can be resolved, you'll get suggestions for next steps. For example, it may let you know that you need an updated driver for your printer and where to get it.
    "Life is unpredictable, eat dessert first."

Thanks for replying, vass! Is there any way to make sure that Windows 7 will have all the drivers I need for my laptop? I don't want to do an update and get stuck with not being able to use my computer.

Oh, and I know that it isn't possible to upgrade from XP to Windows 7, which is why I'm planning to do a full reformat. In any case, thanks a lot for pointing that out though!

Mastavic,
    If you are planning on purchasing Windows 7 when it is released it may be helpful to know you don't have to wait until October to reserve your copy of Win 7! You can pre-order your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional today. For more information, see the Windows 7 Pre-Order offer page here: Windows 7 Pre-Order Offer
    Jessica
    Microsoft Windows Client Team
    Last edited by RicheemxX; September 15th, 2009 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks for the information, Jessica. Perhaps you could help me a bit, as I am still unsure if I should upgrade to Windows 7. I am nervous that if I cannot get the drivers and some parts of my computer do not work the way I am used to it working, I would rather not upgrade to Windows 7 at all.

Do you know what I should do regarding driver updates if I do choose to purchase Windows 7? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Download and run the Upgrade Advisor

In general, if your PC can run Windows Vista, it can run Windows 7. But if you're not running Windows Vista, or are just not sure if your system is ready to run Windows 7, there's a quick way to do a simple check.

Just download, install, and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta. You'll get a report telling you if your PC can run Windows 7 and if there are any known compatibility issues. If an issue can be resolved, you'll get suggestions for next steps. For example, it may let you know that you need an updated driver for your printer and where to get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mastavic View Post
    Thanks for the information, Jessica. Perhaps you could help me a bit, as I am still unsure if I should upgrade to Windows 7. I am nervous that if I cannot get the drivers and some parts of my computer do not work the way I am used to it working, I would rather not upgrade to Windows 7 at all.

Do you know what I should do regarding driver updates if I do choose to purchase Windows 7? Thanks.
    Did you miss Steve's post? Just download & run the upgrade advisor. If you have the nvidia graphics, which were optional on your PC, you may have to download the Win7 video driver directly from nvidia.com.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...e-advisor.aspx
    What computer do you have? And please don't say a white one. - Sheldon Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by JLK03F150 View Post
    Did you miss Steve's post? Just download & run the upgrade advisor. If you have the nvidia graphics, which were optional on your PC, you may have to download the Win7 video driver directly from nvidia.com.
    Ah, I did miss his post. He posted around the same time I did (two minutes before), and he was probably writing his post while I was replying to vass. Thanks for bringing his post to my attention.

I just downloaded Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and tried to run it, but it didn't work. I received the message "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor was unable to reach the Microsoft server for compatibility information. Check you internet connection or see if there's a new version of Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor available." I redownloaded it, repaired it, and tried running it again, and came out with the same problem. A search online showed me that other people have the same problem, with no solutions posted thus far, such as in this post.

Any thoughts on this?

You can (and should anyway) back up your entire laptop to an external drive and then go ahead and try Windows 7:

Free Backup Software

It's free. Just be sure to back up and make the bootable media CD for Drive Backup before you begin the Windows 7 installation.
    MCSE, MCP and nut job

Thank you, Bill.

Does anyone know if the Win7 release candidate can still be downloaded? If you can get that you will be able to test it out before buying it. It works great on my desktop, only driver I needed to install was for my ATI video card.
    What computer do you have? And please don't say a white one. - Sheldon Cooper

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nope they dropped it off the MS site. You cans till get keys but you'd need to find it from a secondary source.

From my experience from the early beta testing on W7 if there are vista drivers they should work for anything that doesn't get auto installed from W7. But that doesn't mean it will work for everything. Since its a newer laptop you shouldn't have much issues, in fact most the time I see problems with drivers it ppl trying to roll back to XP from a Vista only lappy, or trying to jump from a much older laptop to vista.

As for future upgrades, there really is no way one could answer that for you. Driver porting from one os to another is strictly a manuf. by manuf process, with a few exceptions of custom drivers done by end users. So its really up to each and every manuf. to decide if they are going to release new drivers to support the new os.
    Last edited by RicheemxX; September 16th, 2009 at 05:42 PM.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Unregistered

win7 64bit

I have built my vostro 1500 with both vsita upgrade 32 bit and a fresh 64bit install. For the 64 bit install you need to go and get the 64 bit graphics driver from geforce 8600M GT (Dell dont do 64bit drivers for this machine).

My only complaint is that I cannot get skype to work properly, but this may be a Skype issue.

Unregistered

Talking Vostro 1500

I am also using a Vostro 1500, and personally it runs excellent on Windows 7, i would reccomend having more than a gig of ram, but otherwise the Vostro is excellent for running windows 7, boot time is a little slow if you don't have ram but it like vista will use the hell our of your ram if you have it. I use mine for gaming and only run it with 1gb ram so its probably gonna run fine for ya!

Windows 7 was built a lot lighter than windows vista so its just flat out faster and more secure.

I get error on W7 with Dell Vostro 1500

Quote Originally Posted by RicheemxX View Post
    Nope they dropped it off the MS site. You cans till get keys but you'd need to find it from a secondary source.

From my experience from the early beta testing on W7 if there are vista drivers they should work for anything that doesn't get auto installed from W7. But that doesn't mean it will work for everything. Since its a newer laptop you shouldn't have much issues, in fact most the time I see problems with drivers it ppl trying to roll back to XP from a Vista only lappy, or trying to jump from a much older laptop to vista.

As for future upgrades, there really is no way one could answer that for you. Driver porting from one os to another is strictly a manuf. by manuf process, with a few exceptions of custom drivers done by end users. So its really up to each and every manuf. to decide if they are going to release new drivers to support the new os.
    I already tried with W7, but my computer is not work well as XP SP3. The issues are relating to Audio and Video (as I tested)

Help me installing Windows 7

I have the same Vostro 1500. I formated the C: drive(XP OS drive) from cmd prompt. Now i don't have any other OS to boot my laptop. I try'd installing Windows 7, In the first step of collecting information, windows is asking for the drives. I try'd various methods like navigating to the drivers folder, injecting drivers to the boot.wim using dism tool. But none of them helped me to progress my installation.
    Someone who have installed Windows 7 in Vostro 1500 help me please.
    My system config:
    Processor: Core2Duo 5470
    Video card: N-VIDIA Geforce 8400M GS

Help me please.

You have to download the Intel storage (SATA) drivers from the Dell site for the Vostro 1500. You should extract and load them to either a flash drive or CD. When you begin setup, look force prompt the load 3rd-party storage drivers and press F6 to do so. Have the drivers ready.
    MCSE, MCP and nut job

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill View Post
    You have to download the Intel storage (SATA) drivers from the Dell site for the Vostro 1500. You should extract and load them to either a flash drive or CD. When you begin setup, look force prompt the load 3rd-party storage drivers and press F6 to do so. Have the drivers ready.
    I try'd by loading SATA drivers from dell website by injecting into boot.wim. But again it is prompting for drivers
    Error: "A required CD/DVD driver is missing"

My system status:
    Onboard devices: Internal CD drive is not working since a year. so connected an external CD/DVD drive.
    HDD config in BIOS: AHCI
    Flash Cache mode: Enabled
    Factory OS: Vista
    Last installed OS: XP (now No OS)

Need help please.

Windows setup is probably trying to find a driver for the broken internal DVD drive. Try removing it.

The external DVD drive is USB? If so, Windows has the driver already.
    MCSE, MCP and nut job

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill View Post
    Windows setup is probably trying to find a driver for the broken internal DVD drive. Try removing it.

The external DVD drive is USB? If so, Windows has the driver already.
    Thanks mate. worked fine.

USB Boot - The image file which I used in my USB PEN drive was corrupted/incomplete info.
    DVD Boot - The external DVD drive which i used is USB. With both internal and external DVD drive connected, it recognized corrupted internal DVD drive and was searching for drivers as you said. I unmounted/removed internal DVD drive from laptop. I booted using windows 7 dvd. Installed successfully.

All the drivers including webcam, HD audio, Quickset are installed except the Touchpad driver. I downloaded the latest NVIDIA drivers from their website

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information