+ Reply to Thread

Windows 7 Keeps Restarting Itself

I just did a clean install of Windows 7 from Windows XP.
    I was having some troubles with XP... but not too often, I think it was just from an unstable OS...
    This one should be stable and all! It IS legal. Of course, that means nothing apparently on stability :]

My comp keeps restarting itself randomly.. No show of why, it just happens...
    Any ideas? Windows 7 Pro.

I don't think it's from any overheating... It's kinda cool in my house, and I haven't had any problems before like this...
    Got a new PSU about two months ago... OCZ Modxtreme500
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
    Asus A8N-E
    Corsair 2x512 Dual Channel RAM
    Connect3D Radeon x800GTO

Almost afraid to ask: What are one or two of the issues you had with XP?

Can you get Win7 up in safemode so you can disable auto-reboot?
    The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.

Yeah, how do I disable the auto-reboot?.. I can run Win 7 out of safe mode long enough to do my thing... It takes about 15 minutes for it to start happening...

One or two of these issues refers to the dozens[hundreds] of times I got BSOD's (which I don't get a BSOD here). But that's from the last few years on an unstable XP

Edit: As I wrote this message and clicked reply, on that button press, it restarted. Good thing Firefox saved my message here :] but yeah, ouch. That was only about 3 minutes in...
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
    Asus A8N-E
    Connect3D Radeon x800GTO

Blog Entries
    Download, burn and run Memtest86+
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
    Q6600@4Ghz | i7 920@4.4Ghz |E6320@3.5Ghz
    FAQ's ~ Team Stats
    My PC

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Control Panel, system icon, advanced system settings, startup and recovery, uncheck automatic restart.

Then go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, System Logs - both Application and System logs ...and look for events that occur just prior to a reboot to see if there is a clue.
    WHUT?

It's hard to tell what part exactly, but the pattern I'm seeing is under System Logs:
    Type: Warning - Source: Wininit - Event ID: 11
    Description: Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.
    String: avgrsstx.dll
    However, I was pretty sure it was rebooting like this prior to installing AVG...
    I'll try deleting that file, and seeing if AVG can run without it. I made the mistake of installing AVG8 because I had the disc, AVG9 is out, maybe 8 isn't compatible. I'll get back if that doesnt fix it!
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
    Asus A8N-E
    Connect3D Radeon x800GTO

I wouldn't just delete that file. Uninstall AVG, then get the latest version downloaded and installed.
    WHUT?

Interesting...
    Auto Restart is unchecked
    AVG is uninstalled
    and it still auto-rebooted...
    Gonna go burn a disc for the memtest thing now..

EDIT:
    Update!
    I ran Memtest86+. No errors found.

I noticed in my bios, I had the boot device priority set to CD, and none for the rest... now booting up the Harddisks.. maybe that was a problem.. We'll see!
    Last edited by DiabloDj1; November 6th, 2009 at 05:35 PM.
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
    Asus A8N-E
    Connect3D Radeon x800GTO

Talking same problem

hey guys i am haveing the same problem but with less frequency my win 7 pro is just randomly restarting it work for hours at a time and just reboots itself the only thing i see on the screen dureing this event is a mesage (dumping physical memory) with scrolling files on the screen above it then it just comes back to life i have a custom built pc its components are very close to the ones from the previous thread

asus motherboard m2nsli deluxe
    amd cpu anthlon 64 x2 3800 +
    adata ram 2x1 gig ddr2 800

if anyone has experienced this as well any input on the subject would be welcomed

thanks

also feel fre to email me at pctechsupportsystems@gmail.com

As asked before; what were the problems you were having with XP?

This could be a memory compatibility issue. I say COULD BE, I'm not claiming unequivocally that it is.

XP is an extremely stable and refined OS. If you're having issues across different OS then I'd start looking at hardware if none of the previous suggestions work out for you.

And yes, memory can be spec perfect for your mobo and STILL not work right. Some brands will work, while other brands with identical specs might not. I've seen it time and time again.

Looking at the information, it seems AVG is likely a culprit. I've seen nothing but problems with that program anyway... just my personal experiences.

furshtunkinner 'puter ?

Quote Originally Posted by savage1776 View Post
    hey guys i am haveing the same problem but with less frequency my win 7 pro is just randomly restarting it work for hours at a time and just reboots itself the only thing i see on the screen dureing this event is a mesage (dumping physical memory) with scrolling files on the screen above it then it just comes back to life i have a custom built pc its components are very close to the ones from the previous thread

asus motherboard m2nsli deluxe
    amd cpu anthlon 64 x2 3800 +
    adata ram 2x1 gig ddr2 800

if anyone has experienced this as well any input on the subject would be welcomed

thanks

also feel fre to email me at pctechsupportsystems@gmail.com
    ==============

I've built my own computers from scratch ever since I put together an Altair. (~1976) I'm retired, but was a mainframe IBM systems programmer for half of my career, and a sysadmin for the rest. That's almost 40 years of experience. So when I say that this has become such a #%*%@#$^#(!!! of a problem, I mean that.

Windows 7 Ultimate - fully maintained.

Same problem; and your hardware config was the closest to mine, mobo, cpu, etc.

If you make any progress on this, please let me know.

So far I've:

-Installed and removed several antivirus programs (Symantec Endpoint Protection, Kaspersky, McAfee, NAV, AVG)
    -Manually restored ntoskrnl (when that was pointed to as the problem)
    -Ran memory diagnostics 60 times (overnight). No problems.
    -sfc /scannow - noproblems
    -Re-eneabled System Restore capability for drive C:
    -Manually examined all file names for applications and DLLs in system32, and syswow.. ,
    (sometimes a name stands out as not belonging when it is generated by a virus or trojan.)
    -Have installed several BSOD reporting tools (the latest one being "WhoCrashed." Most often it points to ntoskrnl.exe, or memory management, and once it even pointed to the nVidia graphics drivers. First two I already mentioned above; updated to latest nVidia graphics driver for GX 7600 (7-series).

I have a virtually identical operating system running on another computer (Intel board, Intel CPU). It has *never* had a BSOD, nor anything similar to this very frustrating issue.

I will create a new hardware profile on the ASUS system, physically move the HD (they're in removable docks) to the Intel system, boot using that new profile and install all of the drivers needed by that system (board, chipset, video, etc.) just to see what happens. Changing the hardware configuration, and possibly some modules required for WIN 7 to run on an Intel system vs. and AMD system, I know no longer means it's exactly the same system. But it's the best I can do to see if the same or similar issue occurs on that system.

The "problem" system was the first AMD-based system I ever built. I'm more and more beginning to suspect that that is at the heart of the issue, but I'll pursue the above test first.

As far as this ASUS/AMD machine I'm about to jack up the Southbridge heatsink and put a new mobo/CPU/memory underneath: I'm just too old to pull out any more hair!!

Sleepless-and-frustrated-over-this-furshtunkinner- 'puter ...

devs62507@mypacks.net
    Last edited by devs62507; April 4th, 2010 at 12:23 PM.

Use whocrashed to find out what is causing this

I have the same thing I have custom made pc window 7 ultimate with intel i7 and asus sabortooth x64, nvida 950 & asus 3d monitor
    I changed the motherboard & video card the monitor

and still keep rebooting I put a v6 cooler on it runs at about 30c to 37c the only thing I did not replace is the 1000w corsair power and the i7 but when I replaced the motherboard the problem stoped for 5 days and it used to reboot befor it went in to the os and now today it did it when I was in the os it just turned off like turning off a switch

Dude, you really need to start your own thread...
    Because by the time someone reads through this old thread just to find out its barely similar to the original OP's problem they are going to be too annoyed to help you...
    Start a new thread and include ALL your specs, everything you've tried so far and be specific...
    youll get alot more help

Hello,
    i have been looking for this. i also faced this problem many times but after reading this article i fixed it. Thanks for sharing this post. i also got some help from this articlehttp://ezinearticles.com/?Windows-7-...ing&id=4627422 , hope someone might get help from this article.

Cool erratic bluscreening of builds

i've had this much more often with AMD CPUs...
    chips from 2-3 years ago and chips from 2011.
    i guess being the same as intel isn't the same as intel.
    these are no other cause found with the same apps.

added - the problem has been happening with Win7
    not any of my XP systems
    Last edited by pensive; February 19th, 2012 at 01:46 PM.

I have XP now and remember that incident. You got some malware in it that does that.

I believe I ran A squared to find it. And it did find it and nuked it and no more worries.
    A2 takes a long time.
    I would try Spybot Search and Destroy 2.0.6.0 first just because it is faster and you may luck out.
    My XP is rock solid

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information