+ Reply to Thread

Server 2003 in session printers?

What are all these duplicate printers listed in session 1, in session 2, etc..?

You should probably mention this is a Terminal Server

Session 1 is the first person that logged on....and it's showing everything for that persons PRINTER in control panel. If you enabled Fallback you'll often see something like HP2025...and then HP2035 Fallback.

There is a setting to only show the persons "default" printer but I believe you could lose "some" abilty to print if you enable it.
    "Life is unpredictable, eat dessert first."

Can ya tell I'm learnin? OK, these are all still listed even though the user's are not connected/logged on.....It is a small network of about 10 wired, 10 wireless clients, primarily printing to an HP4250n.....so, this "session" listing is only on terminal servers?
    Last edited by hoemee; May 7th, 2010 at 09:14 AM.

You tell me Are you looking on a TS Machine?

Someone has to be logged on for the sessions stuff to show up. You for example would probably be one person.

Attached is a screen shot and you can see I'm session #6...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Server 2003 in session printers?-sessions.jpg  

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    Steve, it doesn't have to be a TS server (Terminal Services server, in case the OP didn't realise what TS stands for) as it can also be listing for any other user who is logged into the server through RDP... It will list them as being from a specific machine - so Steve is using a computer called "STEVEVISTABUS" in his pic...

Also, it depends on whether the other RDP client/s (remember, non-TS servers will allow a maximum of 2 x RDP sessions, plus the 'console' session, at a time) are set to enable the printer to be re-directed or used while in the RDP session - I personally turn it off while I'm connecting to my server, as it is only on the other side of the room anyway..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Server 2003 in session printers?-capture2.jpg  
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

OK - let's back up a little bit...I am using the term terminal server/services, but maybe that is not what it is.....It is a Dell Poweredge 1800 with Server 2003 installed....about 20 computers connect to it wired and wireless, several installed printers.....all computers are listed under "workgroup"........connecting with RDP....

...as far as the 2 RDP session limit - I am somewhat familiar with this - it applies to the SBS versions.......

....so I think what I've got is a file and print server, using terminal services for client computers to connect...is this right?

In all honesty, in this specific scenario, it doesn't matter what hardware the server is using or the connection type that the clients are using to connect to the W/LAN... I'll need to have a check later (on BlackBerry at the moment) but my understanding was that all 'flavours' of servers were limited to 2 RDP sessions - unless they were configured to be a TS server. Again, this is beside the specific point - as is my thought that you would normally only need to use a TS server if it is in a different physical location (over a WAN link) or if you have a single-install application that multiple users need to use...but this doesn't sound like it is in a different location, as your mentioning that you're using it as a F&P server too...
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

I'm tempted to ask what you're trying to accomplish with this server, and what the rest of your server farm looks like - in terms of what you're using them for - as it sounds like there is a possibility that you're not doing things the best way, and/or over-complicating things...

Quote Originally Posted by Nude_Lewd_Man View Post
    Steve, it doesn't have to be a TS server (Terminal Services server, in case the OP didn't realise what TS stands for) as it can also be listing for any other user who is logged into the server through RDP... It will list them as being from a specific machine - so Steve is using a computer called "STEVEVISTABUS" in his pic...
    You be so right...

hoemee - the long list of printers is the norm. As I mentioned:

T
    here is a setting to only show the persons "default" printer but I believe you could lose "some" abilty to print if you enable it.
    Do you want me to find that setting for you?

Good morning to all - thank you for all the feedback - and I appreciate your patience with me as I try to learn...ok - I got the in session printer thing - these sessions are created when the user logs on - when they log off they are gone.

As far as the server farm......this is the only cow in the pasture....a single server 2003 machine. The client computers are a mix of wired and wireless. They all log on to the server with RDP connections to access the medical software. They are all listed under a workgroup. My lack of knowledge is specific to this terminal server/terminal services.........I understand that you use a terminal server (usually a separate dedicated physical server) to perform terminal server functions....so , we don't have this - is it correct that we are using the terminal services on this server to perform this function without deploying an actual terminal server with the licensing associated with it?

...also, please chime in about the 2 RDP limit with SBS only.......on the SBS, terminal services is not natively installed and I believe it cannot be installed - hence the need to utilize the full blown server version.....the 2 RDP limit on the SBS's is primarily used for administrator functions - not for multiple users to access programs......

Indeed...there is a maximum of 2 remote sessions (not including LogMeIn or VNC connections to the 'console' session) on a server running SBS that cannot be overwritten, but then again, even Enterprise versions of the OS won't allow more connections without adding the TS service to enhance it...........hence my comment(s) earlier...

I'm just about to leave for home, I'll check in again later.

Quote Originally Posted by hoemee View Post
    Good morning to all - thank you for all the feedback - and I appreciate your patience with me as I try to learn...ok - I got the in session printer thing - these sessions are created when the user logs on - when they log off they are gone. *1

As far as the server farm......this is the only cow in the pasture....a single server 2003 machine*2. The client computers are a mix of wired and wireless*3. They all log on to the server with RDP connections to access the medical software*4. They are all listed under a workgroup*5. My lack of knowledge is specific to this terminal server/terminal services.........I understand that you use a terminal server (usually a separate dedicated physical server) to perform terminal server functions....so , we don't have this - is it correct that we are using the terminal services on this server to perform this function without deploying an actual terminal server with the licensing associated with it?*6
    Numbered to ease answering...

1) Just for clarity, the printers are only going to be created when a user logs in through an RDP session. If the user doesn't tick the box, it won't create the 'printer' that you saw. No biggie, just wanted to ensure there isn't any confusion on that point. Also, if the user disconnects (instead of logging off) this will have the same effect.

2) This is kinda linked with number six, as it is prolly not the best way forwards for how you're working. The fact that you mention (in #5) that the server is in a workgroup (not a domain) it does simplify the hardware issues somewhat, as it means that you don't need to worry about not having a TS on a DC (Domain Controller) server.

3) As mentioned previously, as long as the other machines can access the W/LAN, it doesn't matter (in this example) as to how they connect - they're going to be connecting to the same NIC as each other anyway.

4) That makes sense, presuming that the medical software can't be pushed out onto the workstations.

5) As you're running the server as a 'standalone' server (not on a/the domain) it does stop the concern about running a TS on a DC - which is something that M$ recommend against doing.

6) This is kinda linked with number two, as it is prolly not the best way forwards for how you should be looking to go. Depending on how the rest of the network is configured (do you have a domain?) it would prolly be easiest - or at least easier - to set this TS up as a member server on a domain, then use AD (Active Directory) to configure the other settings, this would also mean that users would just have one password to deal with for logging into Windows and you could just install the required printer/s onto the server in the first place (remove the tick for using printers in the RDP session) and just use it 'directly' from their own TS session. This is generally considered to be the best practice.

For example, I used to have a single-install licence for an application. If I installed it on a workstation, then that was the only machine I could allow users to use to use the software. If I still used that now, I would be able to install another server (virtual or otherwise) and join that to the domain. I could then set that up as being a TS and install the software onto that. Then, when anyone needed to use it, they could just RDP onto that server and use it. (You can install a TS into an SBS domain)

I could also still use that TS server to act as a kind of gateway for external users to connect in to work on. Again, anything that they would need to use that needed to be installed would be installed, then they could kick off an RDP session from wherever they were (that had an active internet connection) and log in through the TS to access data, e-mail and anything else that they would normally use on the TS session. It would also mean that they could disconnect if they were about to go from one site to another, without losing their work.

Wow - great stuff - thanks for your efforts......this server is using active directory....also - is the puposes of a separate dedicated terminal server used to isolate the resources needed to run terminal services and take the load off the file and print server?

Yes, a separate FnP server will take some of the load off of the TS server, though TBH I think it is more about stopping users being able to make too much of a mess of things... Remember, if the data is on a disk that is attached to the same machine as they are allow to log into, there is a chance that they might try to see what is on the other 'local disk' - and it is more of a pain to block them from accessing the root of the drive (without blocking yourself) but still allow them to gain access to shared folders/data... There isn't really too much of a reason that you couldn't have them both as VMs on the same physical hardware - which is something I'm normally a little averse to doing with major servers (like DCs) as they aren't critical to the network being able to function..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information