+ Reply to Thread
    Supporting our military Bill in SD, CA's Avatar

Firefox 4 is out

Firefox

Bill
    The final legacy of the United States will be that in the end liberalism shamed & destroyed the heritage of this great nation. How sad as I see no turning back. When in Rome ..

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Yeppers, Been out Since Tuesday, just got it installed yesterday, and liking it so far, slightly different feel than earlier 3.xx versions, to me it feels a bit more Chrome and Safari like, but so far so good, the only plug in or add on that I had to update was FireFTP to a version that was compatible with 4.0.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Firefox 4 is out-ff4-out.jpg  
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    Installed it on WORK_PC, not yet sure whether I like it or not - some of the ease-of-use things appear have been dropped (but I haven't gone through the menus to see if I can re-enable it), like double-clicking the tab bar no longer opens a new tab; it maximises/restores the whole window...do not like...

I like the fact that you can really minimise on the window framework - you can choose (IIRC, it is the default) to have "tabs above" and then they sit in the area that would otherwise be the title bar... I've chosen to do that on WORK_PC as otherwise there's just too much area that maximises/restores, but I'm sure it'd be handy on a lappy or anything else with a small[er] height screen, as it enables you to see more of the page at a time..

I'm gonna hang fire before I try it on any more machines.
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

Doesn't resize here.

Double Click the Open space next to each Tab (in my screen shot, the Windows Aero area, it'll open a new tab when double clicked. Either that or just single click the "+" icon next to each tab and it opens a new one too, thats what I've always done.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

I like the look, speed is good, works great for me. The little annoyances aren't bad once you use it for a while, like anything, it takes a bit to get the hang of it
    The impossible takes more time,and costs more money.
    Check out my band Saving Silence

Quote Originally Posted by Brainchild View Post
    like anything, it takes a bit to get the hang of it
    I with you on that, some things I like and some things I'm thinking ......

'WTF?'

Bill
    The final legacy of the United States will be that in the end liberalism shamed & destroyed the heritage of this great nation. How sad as I see no turning back. When in Rome ..

Hmm... In addition to not being able to just double-click the free space in the Tabs bar to open a new tab, it seems that pressing [F6] no longer takes you into the Address Bar...

Checked again, doesn't seem to be ab option available to deal with the tab creation issue - so I'm stuck with pressing [Ctrl] + [T], or clicking the [+] button, or right-clicking the tab bar (free space or existing tab) and selecting 'New tab'..
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

zen
    I have a simple request. Why oh why can't a new tab open to my home page?

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    I have a simple request. Why oh why can't a new tab open to my home page?
    Good point, since the 3.xxx versions, I have wanted that as well, why it can't open a new tab with the home page (for me, its my customized Google page with the Google search, and a few handy gadgets like Currency conversion, weather, measurement unit conversions, etc)

Looks like there are a couple addons for it to do this, but they all seem to have at least one annoying quirk or bug for Firefox 4.
    Last edited by ShyguyXPC; March 25th, 2011 at 12:40 PM.

Blog Entries

IE9 is also out

[Un]fortunately, only available for Vista SP2, Win 7, or Win Server 2008 R2 or -SP2 with Platform Update. (I've installed it on my Win 7 box.)
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley

I thought that there is a menu option in FF that you can choose what opens...?? I know you can set it to re-open the tabs that were open when it was last closed..

You can do that w/ chrome...

I am done with FF. I even jumped on the beta, because 3.x was having such memory bloat problems.
    But no go. It didn't take long before it started having the same issues. (and w/ both FF for windows and mac)
    "Sometimes life is just what we make it."

I know this isn't the happy solution for the homepage opening up in a new tab, but if you activate the bookmarks toolbar and drag your homepage there a right click on it gives the option to open in a new tab.

Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information