+ Reply to Thread

Help please? [With IMAGEX]

>>>>>>I STARTED WITH THIS:

Download Hiren's BootCD from Download Hiren’s BootCD 15.1 | HBCD Fan & Discussion Platform
    Burn Hiren's BootCD to a CD
    Put the Hiren's BootCD into CD Drive and Reboot computer
    Select "Mini XP" from the menu
    Double click on "My Computer"
    Identify the partition that you use for your operating system
    Right click on that partition and select "Format" to ensure a clean install

>>>>> ALL THIS WORKED FINE!

Identify the recovery partition and go to the "Imaging" folder
    Right click on the "Imaging" folder and select "Command Prompt Here"
    At the command prompt type (substituting c for your particular recovery partition and e for the partition that you use for your operating system)

imagex /apply c:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 e:\

>>>>AT THIS STEP IS WHERE I RAN INTO TROUBLE AND GOT THIS ERROR: imagex is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I'm not sure what to do now, because there IS a factory.wim file at this location. Please, any help would be appreciated, thank you!

vista, dell inspiron 537

Not sure what is going on, but so far it sounds, like it can't find the imagex program, your factory.wim, file is probably OK.

Is the Command typed exactly.
    If there is a mistake, it is in the beginning, you are not getting to the "apply" and beyond, part of the command.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

its typed exactly how I found it online, and just a while ago, I tried going through the same command but with C:\tools at the beginning, because there is an imagex file in that and it said access was denied?

Hi Angelleigh,

Did you already try the Dell OS restore procedure? Why are you running it this way?

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    Renamed thread, removed the other post you'd submitted from the other thread.

As stroyal said, the issue is with the OS (or at least the CLI) not knowing where the IMAGEX application is.

I would need to review my Hirens disk to see what the options available are, but the CLI might just need to be pointed at a different folder/directory to where it currently is/was when you got that error - but I know that IMAGEX isn't included in XP, not by default at least...
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

the factory restore quit working after I got the check system virus..the computer was running fine except for an issue with a lot of lag and redirecting... kinda silly of me, I suppose, but I'm up for new challenges, so thought I'd try. If it wasnt clear, I dont think the OS (vista) is there anymore and I'm running mini xp off the hiren's disc. I'm on another comp now.

Oh, and thanks for removing the other thread, wasnt sure how to do that...

I actually went to that link also and it isnt working, either. the drives are different anyway and even if I change them it doesnt find it.

What do you mean, the drives are different?

Do you have your Vista OS disc from Dell?

the drives are lettered different, thats all, I tried it the way it said on the site and a cpl of other ways, too.
    it didnt come with discs..sighs.. believe me I've even been looking at dell but I cant even seem to find a place to order an OS

argh this is making me crazyyyyy

wow, I come to forums because I count on people to know things, and all I get is dell support? there is no support. pfft

Quote Originally Posted by Angelleigh View Post
    Oh, and thanks for removing the other thread, wasnt sure how to do that...
    You wouldn't be able to do that, I can as I have elevated permissions on here...a "sub-Mod" if you will..

wow, I come to forums because I count on people to know things, and all I get is dell support? there is no support. pfft
    You have to bear in mind that the members are here to give voluntary assistance, so there is no SLA to adhere to. Reading a response like that is likely to reduce the assistance you get, rather than "encourage" us to help.

Also, perhaps if you called Dell support, then you might be able to get disks to repair or re-install the OS to how it should be - just be aware that you could lose data, unless you have a backup...
    Last edited by Nude_Lewd_Man; March 1st, 2012 at 04:14 AM.
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

sorry, its just that dell always charges for "support" and as I am on disability, this is no support at all. I know there are people out there who could help me to fix this, its just a matter of finding them. and I do appreciate any help I get.

In my experience (bear in mind that I used to be a SysAdmin for multiple companies) for simple things like this they might not charge you - though if your computer had a 'hidden' partition with the restore section on that, then you may need to pay a (small) fee for the installation media.

Another option could be to ask your friends/family/neighbours whether they've got a copy, in which case you could possibly use your computer's PID (licence key, label on the box would show it) when you use their disk.... Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Nude_Lewd_Man View Post
    You have to bear in mind that the members are here to give voluntary assistance, so there is no SLA to adhere to. Reading a response like that is likely to reduce the assistance you get, rather than "encourage" us to help.

Like me. I would have offered support for free ... but now not so much ... Good luck though!!!

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Hi Angelleigh,

The link I provided is the page where you can order an operating system disc for your Dell. I think that's what you need.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information