+ Reply to Thread

Question How to stop hidden programs from running?

How do keep all of those programs in the system tray, or that stuff in the right side of the task bar from running, or starting when you boot the system?

I know you can cntl+alt+del each one of them, but there are so many, it takes about 5 minutes. All of these programs running in the "back ground" seem to slow up my computer. I want most of them GONE! Please help, Thanks.

Also it seems my computer is so cluttered that scan disk, or defrag won't run to completion. They seem to get hung up and become non responsive. What's the best way to clean up a hard drive, or would Win XP solve this?

I'm using: Win ME, and I just installed a new GIGABYTE MB, and 1.7mhz 478 celeron, 20gig maxdor HD.

Most programs that don't start because they are in the Startup folder on the Start Menu can be stopped from loading by using the "msconfig" utility

Start>Run>msconfig>Startup tab

welcome to techimo (usually someone beats me to this )

I agree with Fingers about the msconfig tip, but I'd go one further

when you say slowing down you machine, what exactly do you mean? boot, apps, general system browsing?

t/j

My computer just seems sluggish, and some programs won't open. When I right click on the icon, My Computer, go to properties, then performance, my system resources is below 60%. After I close all the programs using ctrl+alt+del, my system resources are at 86%. I just want to know how to control the System Tray, and how to really clean up my hard drive.

Definately Use Msconfig and kill all the unneeded apps!

YES! I found all those files in the startup folder. Thanks ya'll, never knew about this msconfig file. Thanks!

I like this little utility called "startup cop." It's very handy as it stops things in msconfig and the start menu from coming up, but they can be removed completely or disabled. Plus you can set different profiles. For instance you can practially run your own "safe mode" by loading a profile where absolutely nothing starts up and rebooting. Plus, it doesn't stay resident in memory, only when you're adjusting settings.

http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/mandias/...artup_cop.html

Sam

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information