+ Reply to Thread
    Real gangstas sip on Yacc jkrohn's Avatar

Aol on Linux? YES!

Check this site out. It's in french, and I don't speak french, but it looks promising

http://www.pengaol.org/

Jkrohn
    Signatures blow hard
    If your signature contains an ad of any kind, congratulations, you're on my ignore list.

Looks as if Linux is catching on strong. If AOL is accommodating it, it's for sure

Guess I may have to try it
    The impossible takes more time,and costs more money.
    Check out my band Saving Silence

AOL isnt exactly doing that.. more along the lines of people using linux also wanted to use AOL for some unGodly reason. Here's a tutorial on how to do it. Not exactly easy, but hey if you want to use linux and AOL is your only choice for ISP...
    http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialAOL.html there you go. In english and everything.

Halfway down the left side is a link to the english page...I guess.I dont speak french either.
    lynch
    Seldom right,but never in doubt...

There are probably two reasons that AOL has not released a Linux port of their client software:

1. fear of Microsoft -there are a number of things MS can and would do to keep AOL out of the loop

2. they can't figure out a way to take exclusive control of a Linux system (and frequently lock it up with bloated 16bit code)

Not Really a Member
    Originally posted by brainchild
    Looks as if Linux is catching on strong. If AOL is accommodating it, it's for sure

Guess I may have to try it
    I"m thinking aol isn't on the bandwagon on this one
    It doesn't have the aol gui, it just allows you to talk to their proprietary protocols.

It seems to me that Linux and AOL cater to somewhat different groups, the former being contemptuous of the latter and the latter being unaware of the existance of the former.

But that's just me.

It seems to me that Linux and AOL cater to somewhat different groups, the former being contemptuous of the latter and the latter being unaware of the existance of the former.
    Very well put!
    You may only be one person in the world, but you can be the whole world to one person.

I don't think contempt or awareness of one party by another is at all an issue in regard to AOL's hesitance to port it's client software to Linux.

I have been hoping for a port of the AOL software since I left the ISP 4+ years ago. This would be a mega endorsement of Linux; I already have about a hundred customers that would convert their boxes to Linux if only their AOL was supported -to them the Internet IS AOL. I can imagine that the AOL port of Linux would even come with a Linux distro on the CD/CD-set..... of course nothing else would work correctly.....

In truth, I just think AOL doesn't see enough of a customer base on the Linux side to make the project worthwhile.

How AOL views the Linux customer is probably another story:

On the one hand, Linux users have a reputation for being "hackers" (although I don't know why --I've never hacked anything in my life), and by that view AOL probably wants to offer as few tools to computer savy people as possibly, especially considering their past history of poor security.

On the other hand (more likely true IMO), AOL technical support shudders in their boots, thinking, "OMG! Our idiot customers can barely use Windows without flooding the helplines -what will happen if some of them start using Linux?"

that is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!! (and so true). although i don't think contempt is a strong enough word

they can't figure out a way to take exclusive control of a Linux system (and frequently lock it up with bloated 16bit code)
    gotta love it when you use an OS that is strong from the ground up.

i'm pretty sure that they would see very little consumer base. IMO the people that use Linux would scoff at using AOL (i surely do), and the people that use AOL wouldn't be able to use Linux. this is a generalization, of course, but i bet it's almost always true. of course there are people that say they would switch to Linux if AOL would work with Linux, but i would be willing to bet that at least half of them would go crying back to windows because Linux was way to hard to use.

How many self-respecting Linux users would want to use AOL, anyway ???

How many self respecting computer users would want to use AOL?
    Where's Lunch?

LOL! Good one Scott Tiger!

Why anyone intelligent enough to use Linux would want to even consider AOL is beyond me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information