+ Reply to Thread
    Banned

Angry does defrag slow my computer down???

my computer seemed to take a while when loading a program so i ran defrag on both hard drives. now, the computer is slower than ever. i opened up Mozilla and the hard drive light is on... my computer has no case on it, just a box so i put my hand on both hard drives and feel that BOTH are just givin er, they're spinning full speed. the computer is on the floor and i can feel the vibration from the hard drives from a few feet away there..... the hard drive light is ALWAYS on and it's constantly using the hard drive even when the computer is virtualy idle such as after loading a program it will have the hard drive goin full power for a few minutes after the program was opened.

it's Windows XP Home.

the *Voice* in your Head PresterJohn's Avatar
    the answer to this is yes, there are some cases where defragging your drive WILL SLOW your computer down.

let me explain...

unlike the built-in defragger in win9x, the built in defragger for w2k & xp has a very limited intelligence. it uses a best-fit space algorithm as far as to what sectors are available and where to move the fragmented files.

this becomes a problem when a program needs to read multiple files from a folder if the contents of that folder are scattered to the far ends of the partition.

for example, the system32 folder has many run-time DLLs. if your defragger were to jumble those files all over the drive, you would notice a longer bootup time the next time you powered up the machine. the old free version of Executive Software's was guilty of doing this also.

i know they recently updated that free version so i can't say if it's any better now.

you might wanna see if you can get a copy of norton utilities 2002 or 2003... speed disk can do a much better job than the bui9lt in xp one...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information