+ Reply to Thread

When is Slack 9.0 coming out?!

I've heard nothing about this things release date. Has anybody? I really really want to upgrade my box. I'm tired of Slack 8.1 already. Anyway, if you've got any info, an idea, anything about when this sucker is coming out and a list of features/updates it contains LMK.

may contain mild peril SpookyEddy's Avatar
    Almost certainly no time soon, both Slack & debian run a much slower release cycle than many of the other distro's; somethng that has worked in their favour IMO.

Slackware-current, the work in progress snapshot, has switched to gcc 3.2 so I expect alot of testing is required to iron out all the bugs. I know gentoo & LFS have offered gcc 3.2 based systems but recommend them only for non critical machines, as many apps do not like the newer compiler.

Slackware 8.0 was available from June 2001, almost a year later they completed the 8.1 release. Its only been 3 months since then so I woiuldn't hold my breath

Regards

eddy
    I dreamt that a large eagle circled the room three times and then got into bed with me and took all the blankets.

yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath for Slackware 9.0. I was really hoping for a Christmas release but after reviewing Slackware's previous release schedule I'd say Eddy's right (as usual) we probably won't be out for some time. (Guess that explains why it's so stable)

Just out of curiosity, what makes you so tired of 8.1 - I love it. If I just had a video card for that box that would display at higher than 1024x768 that would rock (damn cheap ATI card!)

Shawn

haha! Okay, I'm not tired of 8.1, I just really want to upgrade to 9.0.

Ah, okay. Now that I can understand.. I'm looking forward to it myself. I've heard that programs that are compiled with gcc 3.2 run faster than if compiled by any of the gcc 2.9x compilers. I honestly have no idea if that's true or not there's nothing like checking it out for yourself!
    Where's Lunch?

Real gangstas sip on Yacc jkrohn's Avatar
    Well you can download and install slackware-current.

I have, and it is as stable as 8.1 so far.
    As with most Slackware releases no real "changes" to the OS structure itself really, no "new" great GUI's.

Just newer, better packages

Jkrohn
    Signatures blow hard
    If your signature contains an ad of any kind, congratulations, you're on my ignore list.

well, the thing i'm looking forward to is (i'm assuming) the 2.6 kernel. for me this will be the first major kernel change i've seen. i started out with redhat 7.2, so all i've seen is the 2.4x kernel.

Well you can download and install slackware-current.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I only had a box to run it on. I'm just not willing to format my 8.1 box to try out the new stuff yet... Really good suggestion though.. It's nice to hear that it's as stable as the Official release.
    Where's Lunch?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information