+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

argh! I am sick of this!

Hey all,

As some of you will know, i have recently formated & re-installed winXP/SP1 (was running XP without SP1 before).

Since the format i'm having weird problems.

1. Right after windows loads, it seems to hang for about 30 seconds (can still move the mouse)

2. After opening the search/find files thingo, searching for a file, i close the window after the seach is finished, and it hangs the PC for like 1 minute, can move mouse still but everything else stops responding, after ctrl-alt-del and choosing taskmgr even that doesn't load right away. Eventually everything starts responding again.

3. After I log into ICQ, i get the same symptoms as for #2.

These seem to be the only programs causing this.

Has anyone got any idea's??? If i format again i will be going back to win2k altho i do kinda like XP better.

JayMan

try taking the cpu back to original specs, and some system tweaking. if that doesn't work, take it back to original and check video drivers.

my apologies jayman, i was thinking of a sysopt user
    Last edited by corrupted; October 16th, 2002 at 06:30 PM.

Ultimate Member
    Have u comtemplated that it could be a virus, I remember with 2k I had a virus that cause mass use of the cpu, would sit at %99 used all the time, even the mouse cursor was slow to move, though it was intermittent, every minute it'd stop for about 10 seconds, doubt you'd have the same thing but it's just an example of the kinda things u can get

You will certainly need a few new drivers for your system after SP1. Make sure you uninstall the old ones fully.
    _____
    NuKeS

Ermmm corrupted, the CD key was not changed after the install. I don't know what your talking about there. Like i said, this was done on a clean install.

e.g. 1. Format, 2. Install WinXP, 3. Install SP1, 4. Install Drivers.

Nah i doubt very much that it is a virus since its a brand new install, and it was hanging for that 30seconds right after install. Plus my CPU is always at 100%, run ECCp/UD/Aids And i have checked and this isn't what is causing the hangs either.

JayMan

Hmmm it also seems to be hanging sometimes when browsing in my computer & windows explorer.....

JayMan

the *Voice* in your Head PresterJohn's Avatar
    jayman,

imo, all the suggestions before (cd key change, reinstalling drivers after sp1) are a little ludicrous and don't apply.

how are you running the eccp109 client? is it set up as a service (running w/o requiring user login) or is it set up as a shortcut which launches after the user logs in.

do one little test: kill the eccp109 process and see if the machine is better.

ECCp is running from a shortcut.

I'm pretty sure i've already tested this. But i'll kill ECCp, do a file search and close it and post back with the results.

JayMan

Hmm.... Interesting... I closed ECCp & UD & Aids and the search closed fine....

JayMan

Hmmm started ECCp and the seach hangs system on closing... Took all this time just for system to start responding again..... Looks like we found the culprit.... but i don't wanna have to stop runnign ECCp!!!!

JayMan

Same test done with UD & Aids and there was no problems.... Definatly seems ECCp is the culprit..... How can i fix this PJ??

JayMan

Hi Jayman!

If you browse through the Distributed Computing forum, I think cwizard (or someone else) pointed this out! I have had problems with "some" eccp clients and those are exactly the symptoms but they don't happen as often as they happen to you!
    I only get pauses when opening My Computer and Explorer (maybe some other apps too). Since then I stopped using the clients in the university computers!!!
    I think the newer client causes this. ! Why don't you try an older client OR an enhanced client and see if that alleviates your problem..!

BTW,, HELLMUND !!!!!! NICE SEEING YOU BUDDY!!!!!
    boo!

what version of the client are you running? also is the shortcut in the statup folder or is it launched manually, ie. user clicks on it.

i can provide you with a possible workaround upon your reply...

i'm running then enhanced client by kenG6 i think it is.... And its in the startup folder. (but has the same effect when opening it manually by a shortcut.)

Weird this is, it is exactly the same config as what it was before the format & reinstall of winXP. Same client, same ini file, same settings on shortcut etc...

Looking forward to your reply. Maybe i'll have to try the statsaholic client and loose alittle crunching power....

JayMan

definately out of my league

mickwish
    Interesting problem, Jayman. I installed SP1 on my winXPPro box, and have had no problems that I can recall related to ECCp. I use KenyG's client too, I think.

Since BEFORE I loaded SP1 I have had a problem though, with lag in opening certain network shares (such as on my file server) that I haven't fixed yet, but I don't think it's related to ECCp.

But I might test that anyway.... you never know.

Cheers
    Mick

Hopefully PJ will be able to tell me how to fix up the problem.... Still seems weird that it wasn't doing it before on basically the exact same setup...

JayMan

I think this applies to XP as well:

One thing to check is that you have removed the troublesome reg key for W2K. I will post the link when I find it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace/D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF

What it does is correct a problem where W2K Explorer will hang momentarily on access to any network resource. This may be causing your program problem, because the little red X should go away and be connected instantaneously on mappings it shows up on when accessed.

You can get more details about this here:

http://www.winoscentral.com/sections...ticle&artid=25

Here's a great tip (a bug actually) to speed up your browsing of Windows 2000 machines. Itís actually a fix to a bug that by default of a normal Windows 2000 setup that scans for shared files for Scheduled Tasks. And its turns out that you can experience a delay as long as 30 seconds when you try to view shared files across a network from as Windows 2000 is using the extra time to search the remote computer. Note that though the fix is originally intended for only those affected, Windows 2000 users will experience that actual browsing speed of both the Internet & Windows Explorers improving significantly after applying it since it doesnít search for the Scheduled Tasks anymore. Here's how:

Open up the Registry and go to :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace

Under that branch, select the key :

{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} - and delete it.
    This is key that instructs Windows to search for Scheduled Tasks. If you like you may want to export the exact branch so that you can restore the key if necessary. This fix is so effective that it doesn't require a reboot and you can almost immediately determine yourself how much it speeds up your browsing processes.

ok, jayman your description & client version checks w/my situation and i had a similar problem (also running the client via shortcut in the startup folder)

i have not been able to determine why this problem exists since i have installed the client on numerous machines and this problem has only manifested itself on only a couple of machines.

the culprit seems to be the program loading order of the eccp client in relation to the other processes on the machine. the workaround (and it's not much but it seems to do the trick) is that i had to remove the shortcut from the startup and manually launch the eccp client.

give it a try and see if there's an improvement.

ps. give eweruk's reg trick a try also. it did not work for me but worth a chance

i'll give that a try on my laptop. it needs all the help it can get. damn win2k
    Last edited by corrupted; October 17th, 2002 at 12:47 AM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information