+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Unhappy lsass.exe error loop at bootup

Can you help me save my files on my computer?

I have an Emachines 4155 with a 1.5 G P4, 60 gb HD, DVD drive, CDRW, 512 Mb RAM.

I put on a Logitech Cordless Elite Duo KeyBoard and Optical Cordless Mouse. I loaded the software and the computer prompted me to power off so the changes could take effect.

I did.

When I powered it back up it came up with a
    "lsass.exe error." (that is a lower case L not an I as I had first thought when I started doing searches on it.)
    It would leave the failure dialog box up for about 3 seconds then shut itself off. It would then try and restart,by itself. It would go through the Emachines logo page, then the Windows XP logo page with the small scanning activity box on it that makes you think XP is loading, then it would show the Isass.exe failure again for about 3 seconds.
    It would restart a new loop about every 30 seconds.

I pressed F8 (safe start) and tried EVERY available option on the Safe Start page. The lsass.exe failure showed up on each one.

I have gotten in contact with Emachines at least 6 times. Each time they start out by telling me I need to back up my data. That is great but since I cannot get the thing to boot I am at a loss as to how to do this. One of them, on the live chat assistance site, told me that I could not be having this failure then disconnected from me. They then tell me that after backing up my data I need to reinstall xp from the restore disk.

I Put in the Emachines Restore CD. I selected Restore XP. It is not a retail version of XP, it is the OEM version that came with the computer and it is a Ghost image. It told me that I would lose all of the data on the HDD. This is not acceptable. I have some very important files that I cannot lose.

I put in a bootable CD and did a "C:" It told me that C was an invalid drive.

How can I save my data or preferably, get this thing to quit looping and boot properly?

Please send any replies/ questions to:

dakotafox74@yahoo.com

reinstall XP to directory called "Windows2" or something to that effect, then you can boot to that, copy files to your CDR and format and reload everything

good luck!

Ultimate Member
    I dont own XP so Im not sure but...

Isnt there an option for system restore?? restore it back to before you installed the software.

I would also definitely put my old keyboard and mouse back on.

Also, why call emachines...call logitech and bug them. Also check out their site because this could be a known issue and maybe they have a fix.

Dont worry, Im pretty sure your data is safe...give the thread some time and one of the XP gurus will tell you how to restore it.

Dont do anything rash...breath in and out slowly....count to 10...lol.

JP
    "Even a fool is thought to be wise if he is silent"

"reinstall XP to directory called "Windows2" or something to that effect, then you can boot to that, copy files to your CDR and format and reload everything "

I don't have the ability to choose the directory that the Emachines restore disk installs to. The way it looks to me that it performs is that it reformats the hard drive and then install all of it's xp ghost image. I think this why it warns me that I will lose all of my data if I choose to install

Isnt there an option for system restore?? restore it back to before you installed the software.

I haven't seen any restore options offered when I put in the Emachines restore disk other than a full drive wipe and reinstall.

I would also definitely put my old keyboard and mouse back on.

The Logitech KB works as a regular KB and the mouse does it's thing. I was trying to get the extra button and battery status functions going. I went to Logitech and got their latest software for XP. After I get this resolved I'll try that.

Also, why call emachines...call logitech and bug them......

I Called Emachines because it is an Emachine and I had to start somewhere. I figured I needed to find a way to manipulate Windows XP so I could save my data. Microsoft is USELESS as far as supporting OEM software, even though they sell it.

Thanks,

Blain

Ultimate Member
    No, the emachines restore disk isnt going to help you...I was thinking more along the lines of an xp boot disk...or if xp has an equivilant of w2000's "recovery console".

If worse comes to worse, you could download an xp bootdisk on someone elses comp (public library even).

www.bootdisk.com

I didnt say bug Msoft..I said Logitech...hey, you put their device on your comp, now its screwed up...I think you deserve some techsupport.

JP

JP,

I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm sorry if I am coming off that way. It just seemed to me that the people that had had the best chance of helping me wiht Trying to get XP open were XP people.

I was hoping that some software guru would be able to say some thing like "Oh, That is easy just go into (XXXXX) and change (xxxx) to (yyyyyy). I know that person exists just where to I find them and how do I get a message to them.

I did take your advice and sent a message to Logitech. Now, we'll see.

Thanks

Blain

Well, Logitech suggested I get in touch with Microsoft.
    aparently they didn't resd the part about this is OEM SW and Microsoft wants me to get ahold of Emachines.

It almost seems to me that these help places are populated by part time people that have no expertise. I think they have scripts for common failures and when you call with something that falls out of the scope of that script they refer you another company.

Anybody else have any Ideas?

Ultimate Member
    Go here... http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q314058

read all that, check it out.

Hopefully some other more knowledgeable XP guys will respond to this thread shortly.

You can use the recovery console to get access to windows files etc. Then its just a matter of repairing something or possibly deleting some of the bad files....Im not sure if you can uninstall programs from the recovery console.

Here are some of the commands that you may need:

fixmbr
    bootcfg/rebuild

Give it a while and let some other guys see this thread...they can expand on what I posted.

like I said, dont do anything rash, this problem is most likely easier to fix than it seems...your data should be safe.

JP

Lightbulb

it's an error caused by IPSEC service at boot up. This is what the service properties says: "Manages IP security policy and starts the ISAKMP/Oakley (IKE) and the IP security driver.","if the service fails, the computer will restart. Recovery actions are not supported for this service". It's automatic startup, reason why it keeps rebooting. I had to reinstall windows again. Hopefully the boys at MS will make a patch for this another little annoyance.

Report to MS?

How do you report this to Billy and the boys at MS?

I have OEM software. I think that MS hates OEM software. As soon as you type the OEM in my product key then they want me to go to my manufacturer or send meoney. Every option I have been able to find at their web site requires huge amounts of money before they acknowlege OEM's miserable existance.

I hope they get some kind of patch for it too, but they got to know how often it happens before they can do it.

I think there is an option in the Operating system that lets you report problems as they occur, that assumes you can get your computer to boot and are on XP.

From what I've recently found you may be able to recover by renaming the hive SAM.BAK tp SAM in the Windows\System32\Config directory.

You will have to use a Windows 98 boot floppy to get to it -- as long as your file system is still FAT32.

Other wise you will need a bootable XP CD. Search the web for the proper boot image file and you can make a bootable XP CD.

I've gotten a few emails from people wondering if I found a fix to this problem it seems to be a fairly common problem. This is for the information of anybody else that has to deal with the lsass.exe error . I didn't find any way to get the computer back into operating condition. I hope you have better luck.

This is the only way I found to deal with this problem.
    I was able to get ahold of an older 3 gig HDD. I installed the 3 gig into the Emachine as the primary and then I ran the resore disk on this to install Emachines version of XP. I had thought I would copy the information from the 60 gig to the 3 gig but the installation took about 2.5 gig of space. I installed the failing 60 gig as slave. I was able to read the data on the 60 gig in Windows explorer. I networked the Emachines to my New Trend. I then was able to find and copy my much needed files to the older machine.

After that I put the 60 gig back as the primary and restored it. It seems to be working now.

I think that having to do this to a machine with the "Latest and Greatest Windows" to save one's data is BULL$HIT. I have never had to deal with a problem like this with Win95a, 95b, 98, 98SE, or ME. And the "support" from micro$oft is shameful.

I have been on the Internet for the past week finding and installing the XP drivers for the printer, scanner, camera, burner, modem, and all of the hardware that didn't come with XP drivers. It is a real pain in the a$$. I wish that the money grubbers at Micro$oft would support their product and spend some time refining the functionality of their op sys instead of figuring out how to keep a homeowner from putting a copy on their kid's computer.

The soulution seems to be to try a different operating system or to make sure you have a spare computer and hard drive around so you can save your data when XP craps on you.

Had same problem with lsas.exe today following crash.
    Kept rebooting.
    Problem was solved by reverting to last previously known good configuration.
    Only thing I had to do is reinstall graphics drivers.

FireWall

hey guys... I have the same problem with my laptop running win XP home and I can't seem to get it to work at all... not even reverting to last known good settings helps... has anyone figured out a way to get at the files themselves yet or is this still up in the air? another interesting question that comes to mind, with win XP you can prevent other users (even admins) from gaining access to your files in the My documents folder(providing that you are an admin as well) I thought that microsoft used some sort of subtle encryption scheme to prevent other users from gaining access to these files so if you were at the command prompt and assuming that you could get to the files would they still be usefull if you could just copy them? or does the encryption make them now useless?

lsass.exe system error--xp won't boot

With so many postings on this subject, it appears to be a major problem with xp (and/or some hardware compatibility problem?).

My 3-month old HP notebook with xp home edition also started with "lsass.exe system error - the specified domain did not exist" problem from yesterday. The system gets in a loop without booting in xp. Have tried safe mode and last known good configuration, still no luck. (The only new thing I did was switching my network a week ago from hardwired Linksys cable/dsl router to Linksys wireless router, and the system was working fine until yesterday.)

There isn't much documentation to fix this problem at Microsoft site and HP tech support wasn't of much help either. HP recommends restoring system to original configuration with their provided system CDs (HP didn't include WinXP install CDs with the system.). They also suggest getting setup disks from microsoft and booting the XP with the setup disks.

Can any one help with their experience of successful boot and/or data back-up before doing a complete system restore? Thanks.

I am another victim of the lsass.exe system error. I was loading drivers on a brand new Dell laptop, and I hit a "checkmate" which required me to reformat the hard drive and reload everything.

I could not recover using the Windows XP OEM CD.

What is going on here? I haven't been able to find a work-around for this problem anywhere.

Angry lsass.exe

Howdy:

I found this forum by searching "lsass.exe" in google.com because I seem to be having issues with it too. I think it's the reason my laptop keeps locking up and requiring about three reboots before it sucessfully boots up.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix and/or eliminate it I'd appreciate it.

As for your problem with getting your files safe before formatting the harddrive, I think it will be an issue since you have an eMachine and all those kinds of companies ever give you nowadays is a "Restore Disc" which SEVERELY limits your options. If it was me I would take my harddrive out and stick it in another computer and get my files that way.

I emailed Microsoft tech support about the problem and they already know about it but haven't been able to get around to fixing what they call a minor problem.... considering how wide spread this prob seems to be I resent another e-mail with a link to this particular forum... now weather or not they decide to take a look at the thread is another question but hopefully they will have a patch or a fix out soon... as for now they recomended reformatting the drive and reinstalling because overinstalling XP over the old OS will do nothing but cause program faults and you will have more problems than before...(like that is possible) and if you put another OS onto the same partition then it "MAY" cause other OS problems... now if you are lucky enough to have another partition just hanging around on that drive then by all means go ahead and install an OS on that and go get your files... but for those of us that do not have one in our back pocket... we are SOL...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it looks like we're snookered on this one.

I'm perplexed at the very serious nature of this particular problem and the seeming lack of concrn on the part of Microsoft or anyone else in the industry about solving it.

Reformatting a hard drive doesn't sound like a great solution to a problem which the manufacturer seems to think is not serious. Yet, the only solution I could come up with on a brand new Dell computer was to reformat the drive.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information