+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

CODE PURPLE

what if you cant locate the c:\hp\bin\configcheck\run.py file i find the c:\hp\bin but not the configcheck\run.py any idea

It worked

renaming the run.py to run.p_ worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks

It worked

renaming the run.py to run.p_ worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks

Talking Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by djhannigan View Post
    To access the "C:" drive to rename the file:
    1. Boot the system with a Win Xp Original Disk.
    2. When you have to select "Enter" to reload or "R" for Recovery Console select "R".
    3. Select the "H:\minint" Drive to bring up the System
    4. At the "H:\minint" prompt, change to the "C:" prompt
    5. Change directory to the "C:\hp\bin\configcheck"
    6. Rename the file with the command "ren run.py run.p_"
    7. Reboot the machine and there should be no "Code Purple" error.
    That freakin' did the trick! It was such a relief to finally get past the "Code Purple" error. Thank You Thank You Thank You.

Angry sportfanhouse

Quote Originally Posted by pins4ever View Post
    That freakin' did the trick! It was such a relief to finally get past the "Code Purple" error. Thank You Thank You Thank You.
    I have exhausted every option windows vista will not load as soon as i turn on the computer it starts loading then throws up code purple anybody have any suggestions , desktop is HP pavillion a1709n

HP code purple.

Hi All,
    Thanks for all the help. I think I'm really close here.

Originally Posted by djhannigan
    2. When you have to select "Enter" to reload or "R" for Recovery Console select "R".

I followed all the above.
    This way I got to the prompt but when I tried to chdir to hp I got "Access denied".
    Any ideas of how to get around that? atrrib didn't work too.

Thanks, Ronen.

Bill

About this " Code Purple". What do I do if the computer is a Compaq. What are the instructions then?

Code purple... HELP!

Okay, so I had the same problem as everyone else and Rollie had the same problem as me (I don't have a "bin" when I search for the C:\hp\bin\configcheck\... and so forth. I have downloaded that ERD winternal commander, burnt it as an iso file and inserted it in my other computer on a disc. All I get is the same stuff over again.

What do I do? Someone please help! I call HP and they tell me it will cost $99 just to TALK to someone to help me.

Thanks!
    Last edited by rcoglez; August 2nd, 2008 at 03:25 AM.

Hi! I had the same problem as Rolliedog (not having a "bin" in my C:\hp\bin\congifcheck\... and so forth). I downloaded the ERD winternal commander like you said, burnt it on a disc, threw it in my "problem" computer, and still nothing! I go into F10, system recovery, and I've looked for "bin" and the file name and everything and I can't find anything. Am I suppose to install something or check for something else?

Please help me! HP keeps harassing me about paying $100 just to TALK to someone without any guarantee of fixing my comp.

Thanks!

Thank you

WOrked great for me.. thank you

i have i will never use compaq again!!!

i start computer (compaq persario) everything is normal as usual and then all the sudden configuration errorcode purple) and then an error about the operating system not being installed properly or completely and something else but this was a year ago all of my attempts to restore recover everythig did not work.
    I used a compaq recovery cd to recover my system and for some weird reason it started d.o.s.(Disk Operating System) and i used the computer like that for quite some time and then and im not crazy it said it was an hp computer on the start screen it continued working as usual in d.o.s.(Disk Operating System) but then i got a new computer and that one is sold now.

worst time of my life i lost so much data i was not happy.
    Last edited by Mr OBrien; August 7th, 2008 at 12:50 AM.

The evil Code Purple...

Quote Originally Posted by BCWeaver70 View Post
    If you are having trouble accessing the C:\ becuase the system won't let you switch to that directory or you are getting an ACCESS DENIED message for one reason or another it is possible to rename the run.py file to run.p_ using the notepad program in the command prompt and then delete the original run.py file throught the h:\ directory which should solve your "code purple" problem... it solved mine after a motherboard replacement and hard drive reformat. Follow these steps:

1. Load the system recovery disk into CD-ROM
    2. Press F10 repeatedly at boot screen to load the Recovery Menu
    3. Press R for the recover console
    4. Select "Advanced Options"
    5. Press Alt + D to bring up the command prompt
    6. type "cd h:\" to enter the root directory
    7. type "dir /w" to view the directory in wide view
    8. open the master.log file (or something along those lines), this should bring up a prompt asking you what program to open it with, you should only be able to select notepad.
    9. open the file with notepad and when it appears select the File>Open
    10. in the file name box type in "C:\hp\bin\configcheck\run.py"
    11. once the file opens clear the contents and select save as then save the file as run.p_
    12. close the notepad program
    13. delete the original file by typing "del C:\hp\bin\configcheck\run.py"
    14. reboot system

After a reboot the windows screen might flash a few times and take a little longer to load, be patient and you should be able to continue with the windows set-up without that damned code purple error message.

This solved my problem with the code purple after exhausting all other options in this forum.
    Hey everyone! I just got this "Code Purple" crap Saturday evening on my kind'a, sort'a new HP Pavilion a1630n PC, and it's Wednesday, and still I haven't got my PC to boot to the desktop. From what I'm understanding about this "tattooing" or "branding" that HP/Compaq does to the motherboards of all their computers, is actually a scam they're doing to make unsuspecting people that don't know how to fix this on their own, in hopes that we will send the PCs back to them so they can make a buck? (Many, many bucks).

It seems that after the "one year warranty" is over, this is when the computer won't ever boot up again after installing new hardware, and then attempting to do the fresh 3-DVD Restore discs. I've installed just recently a Linksys wireless N router, not to mention the cable modem as soon as I got the PC in the house a year ago... and a Canon photo printer.

I bought a Lenovo Ideapad notebook, so what I was trying to do is do a DVD Restore, so that it would have more HD space and be faster than it already was. Then give it to the kid for his school work and whatever else he likes to do on computers. But now everything is at a stand still `cos of this lowsy "tattooing scam".

All of the ways I've read seem like they would work, but the fartherest the PC would go was to number 7,`cos I could not find the Master.log file in number 8 as you've mentioned. I kept looking in the M section of that whole directory, and I looked through he entire set of names that were abbreviated, but nothing struck me as any of them being the Master.log.

Do you know exactly what must be typed after "C:\" before I get ready to type "del C:\hp\bin\configcheck\run.py"?
    Last edited by Stealthpad; August 20th, 2008 at 01:25 AM.

I forgot to mention... it does not recognize cd h:\ so therefore I cannot enter the root directory, but it does recognize dir /w. Maybe this is why I cannot find the Master.log file?

I've made visits to computer shops and stores, and none of them know anything about this. They say it's the hard drive, that HP/Compaq is not doing any motherboard tattooing to cause us to have to send our computers back to them so that they can charge us a lump sum for a new MB and labor.

I believe it is my MB, that it has been tattooed by HP, and I hope someone here can tell me why I can't enter the root directory by doing the cd h:\ or maybe there is another way.

I've opened Notepad under other names, such as Restore.log, and certain others, but when I go ahead and type C:\hp\bin\configcheck\run.py in any of the Notepads that actually do pop up, a window comes up saying Path does not exist on every one of them.

I'm about to give up and trash this PC, smash the HD and keep the CD/DVD ROM, but then again, I may never be able to get a driver for that so that I can use it in another PC.

Any ideas are appreciated so that I can get this PC up and running once and for all for the kid to have.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Stealthpad; August 20th, 2008 at 03:11 PM.

code purple happens on HP or Compaq units

hie my name is vicktor, and it seems i have noticed this forum and would like to share a piece of information.

-when it has the configuration error : code purple, which occurs on Hp and Compaq as i know, you need to send it back to hp by calling in to Hp 1 800 474 6836 and there is no charge for this,toll free line, no repair charge as well even the unit is out of waranty.(but im not sure do they support obsolete products which means pc older than 4 to 5 years).

-In addition, the code purple error, it does not relates to the operating system at all i believe.

- so Stealthpad, you can contact hp technical support and they will definitely provide a solution which will be they will offer you to get the computer to be retatooed...by sending you a box, taking it back to the repair center, and send it back to you but the condition would be that all the original hardware should be in the computer. And its free of charge. (please also check on what does the hp representative advise because policies might change)

-this will be the last resort if system recovery does not solve this issue. (means that it is not a Hdd tatoo problem)

-retatooing the hdd is easy as u need to run the recovery disc but the motherboard is totally different...

-also code purple happens when ever u added something new hardware to the unit as well. Or sometime it happens, not frequently.

-i hope this bits of information might be useful and helpful.
    -For further prove of my statements above, please do view this link :
    Error: Your system has detected a configuration error... (Code Purple)*

-it is from hewlett packard website.Thank you for giving me this opportunity to share.

if you're not so techie...

... but just enough to get this far. I had a hard time following the renaming instructions in DOS (??). Here's a slight variation that some may find useful:

My problem was caused by replacing a Sempron (Simpleton?) processor/MB in an HP with something that could at least run the OS...

Unable to follow the 7 step program, I removed the hard drive from my HP and put it in place of a CD drive in my Dell. The Dell was happy and launched Windows. From there, in Windows, I identified the drive letter of the HP drive and then ran a search on that drive for 'configcheck'. Clicking on the result, I found the 'run.py' file and did a rename Windows style to "run.p_".
    (yes, r-u-n-dot-p-underscore) . I reinstalled the HD in the HP and Windows ran on the new MB in the HP tower without a hitch. The registration number on the side of the HP tower finished the job.

Thanks for the instructions!!

It didn't really work. Windows was unstable and would not play nice with the new kids and often failed to boot, shut down or locked up.

I just bought XP OEM and will stay away from purchasing systems through HP or for that matter Dell.

Help

Code Purple can be bypassed by accessing and renaming the file run.py to run.p_. The file is found at "c:\hp\bin\configcheck\run.py" . Questions? Send me a message.
    dude im 15 and have no clue what to do...i see the windows startup logo or w/e and this error pops up. what do i do from there

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

code purple

Quote Originally Posted by scootergizer View Post
    Ive had one of the most confusing error messages today. I work in technical support and one of the customers I had today recieved an error out of the box that its terminology is a bit puzzling. The customer has an OEM version of XP and during its first boot after he hit the windows splash he recieved an error message "configuration error : Code Purple. I cant find any reference to this even through microsoft. While I was looking for a reference to this i was having the customer do busy work : restart. reset CMOS defaults. This seems to have resolved it, the caller was able to load to the original windows config screen. but I dont believe that it was reset that had done it, I cant logically think why it would have. Im mainly just curious as to what the error is, "Code Purple". Anyone experience this before?
    yes i have this problem how to fix it ? with a hp touchsmarth pc

Contact HP directly and tell them you have this problem - they lost a lawsuit over this issue and will send out software to fix it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information