+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    J g

Answer to "System Volume Information access denied" question, and also system restore

Have any of you wondered why (on WindowsXP----and presumably on other WindowsNT machines as well(wasn't able to check, as I don't use them)) you cannot access the System Volume Information directory?

I have, and I find it extremely annoying that files on your own computer are hidden from you! (I'm the curious type)

So,...if you absolutely must know, YES the restore points ARE stored right inside this special directory

While attrib will let you know of the existence of this directory, you still do not have access. However, that is all about to change

Suppose you have named your user account "Bob"

Well, pull out that trusty command prompt box, "cd" on over to your root directory, and listen up

enter the following command while having sufficient permissions (being the only user of a machine or logging in as administrator should be sufficient)

cacls "System Volume Information" /E /P Bob:F

That should all be on one line, BTW Then press Enter.

Now Bob can access all of that stuff!

to change it back the way it was before, enter the following on a line by itself, and press Enter

cacls "System Volume Information" /E /R Bob

Be really careful to include the /E ESPECIALLY, as if you don't, you might just end up with a file for which nothing has permissions to access (and that is REALLY bad considering this isn't just any file but is a very important system directory with backup volume information inside!)

Well,....haven't seen anyone ask this here....but if anyone was wondering...there you go

I still find it extremely annoying to have to do that, though. (also find it extremely annoying how Microsoft hasn't publicly released the NTFS filesystem format specifications)

Maybe this will help the more curious of you
    J mʮ mjҮ

Not Really a Member
    can also change the NTFS permissions from the GUI
    right click the folder, and go over to the 'Security' Tab ... may have to take ownership of it, but thats easy enough if you're the admin.
    Helicopters don't fly; they vibrate so much and make so much noise that the earth rejects them.

Big

worked Gr8

thanks for the play by play on this "just a guy"

Helped me out a bunch.

Thanks

Umm, maybe it's just me, but I've never had any trouble accessing that folder. In fact I regularly delete restore points from it.
    Will work for food!

Great!

I had a virus in the System Volume Information folder and counld't get a it. I found a bunch of other sites saying "here's how to do this..." and yours was the only answer that actually worked!

Thank you 100X

MS

Quote Originally Posted by chillyham View Post
    I had a virus in the System Volume Information folder and counld't get a it. I found a bunch of other sites saying "here's how to do this..." and yours was the only answer that actually worked!

Thank you 100X

MS
    Glad an older post helped.

Smile Wat a great BRAIN man!!

Hey... This is the best of the best solution for this really hectic kind of problem...

Just wanna say tonnes of thanks to this member...

Keep this up GUY!!

Cheers!!
    Harshal

not working ... :(

hi i'm doing all this and it still isnt working .. in dos each time i type it in it just brings up the set of commands (like what to chose from) but still not giving me access to the file :/

can you help?

Paul can you be a lot more specific?
    What are you wanting to do and what are you typing to do it?
    The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.

sorry lol .. i was in a bit of a rush before.. ok so ..
    i did an avg scan and i told me i have a virus in the system volume information file .. avg won't delete the virus and so i tried the method here.
    i typed in cacls "system volume information" /E/P Paul:F

when i pressed enter t gives me the access control list with basically all the diferent commands .. and yet nothing works.
    i tried using G (grant) instead of P and it does exactly the same thing

i am trying to get into the file to delete the infected files

Im having the same problem as paul!

I do the same thing as paul above and get the same message, I can figure out what part of the command I seem to be entering wrong that I get this list, I tried granting permission I tried changing permission I'm at a loss and I have a virus in that directory thats messing with my shutdowns! Please someone respond!

sorry

(Sorry for double post, please delete this admin!)
    Last edited by redhorizon75; December 21st, 2008 at 10:55 PM. Reason: comp lag caused double post

You can delete all files in that folder by disabling System Restore temporarily. Go to Control Panel > System > System Restore. Disable System Restore on all drives and click OK. Reboot to be sure. Now, go back and re-enable it.

Done!
    MCSE, MCP and nut job

I have done this and restarted then done a virus scan, i have used 2 different scanners (not at the same time!) avast and AVG to scan, avg detects it then crashes, avast crashes on the file before i even get the report. I have deleted such files manually before but the lock out on this folder is preventing that. I have identified its runtimes and whatnot so i can prevent it from activating but to remove it i need access to System Info, which I am currently denied. I appreciate your input and your time in your explanation but its already been attempted! What I need is an exact path that i can pretty much figuratively copy and paste into the command prompt to ensure i have no typo's, if the given command line is not a custom, spaces where spaces shouldn't be deal, which i have tried combinations of, then i am at a loss.

You are wasting your time and ours. Disable System Restore temporarily and be done with this.

The best way to access all folders is to do so from a bootable CD. Use an Ubuntu live CD:

Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu

To be sure that all bugs are gone, use the Avast Startup scan instead of scanning in Windows. Scan for spyware with this:

Malwarebytes.org
    Last edited by BipolarBill; December 27th, 2008 at 07:52 AM.
    MCSE, MCP and nut job

Maybe I wasn't clear when I said I did this already. Let me reiterate... I HAVE DONE THIS ALREADY, I have disabled System Restore on all drives via Control Panel->Preformance and Maintenance->System Restore it is off and I have done an Avast boot Startup (It detected nothing). Yet still the file exists in my directory and crashes detection software when I scan w/ windows booted. I came here in an attempt to find a solution, found one and asked for a simple explaination. I don't understand what provoked such a rude response from you, If I am wasting your time then simply don't respond, stop reading the thread, etc there is no reason to be hostile.
    I appreciate that regardless of your obvious frustration w/ the situation that you still attempted to find a solution. I have not yet attempted using a linux program b/c I have no experiance w/ it, but I guess I'm going to take a crash course. Also I used Malwarebytes and it came up clean, I have never heard of the program but it seems very nice thank you for pointing it out to me.

You never said that you had disabled System Restore. You said "I have done this.". That could mean anything. It helps to be specific here in the forums. You are not the only person who needs help. I don't mean to be rude. I just want your undivided attention and some commitment to clear communication. You started out on the wrong foot by taking over another member's thread.

Disabling System Restore empties the System Restore folder of all Windows-created files. While it is possible that there may be malware in that folder, it is unlikely. Even if it is in there, it can't get out for the same reason you can't get in - it is forbidden. I think that both AVG and Avast are wrong about that folder. Malwarebytes has verified that opinion now. I would switch to another AV program like AntiVir, but if you are set on this, use the Ubuntu CD.

Open the ISO file with your CD burning program. Do not burn the file directly to CD. You must actually open the ISO file like a Zip file and burn to CD. Boot your PC with the CD and run the Live option. When you get into Ubuntu, fimd the folder and just delete it. It will be recreated on normal startup. You can also use UBCD4Win to do this. Search Google for it. It works just like Windows and will be familiar to you.

To recap, please be clear when telling us what you did or didn't do. When seeking help, start a new topic instead of reopening or taking over another's thread.
    MCSE, MCP and nut job

I had no intention of taking over another persons thread, I simply asked for clarification on instructions given, I never intended for the conversation to even last this long and I apologize that it has. I also apologize for not being clear on my comment, in my mind since deleting the restore points was all you were talking about I assumed you would know that that was all I was referring to. I believe you may be correct about Avast and AVG being wrong as I notice no lack of real performance on my PC, however it is crashing my scanners preventing other potentially harmful files from being found (Avast crashes at 3% lol) and I have no desire to switch Virus scanners so I will delete it through Ubuntu. I appreciate your help and hope that this thread will revert back to prior discussions!

In order to avoid wasting peoples time, let me try and enlighten. Ahh DOS, the Dark Space Where this command may be going wrong is that this command (cacls) requires spaces between the /switches "/e /p". Example "C:\>cacls "System Volume Information" /e /p Admin:F", this returns "processed dir: C:\System Volume Information" else you just get the /? Help response.
    Pathing can also be a problem. Example "C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>cacls "System Volume Information" /e /p Admin:F" returns "The system cannot find the file specified." Use "cd\" to go to the Root level of the drive, "C:\"
    What I assume is happening for some folks is they use the following command, "C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>cacls "System Volume Information" /e/p Admin:F". This is the same as using "C:\cacls /?" and returns "Displays or modifies access control lists (ACLs) of files" followed by a screen of help information.

Of course this is just In My Opinion Thanks

I believe you are exactly right Tankergs. Though I have already deleted the file using Ubuntu I think this would have been my problem, though I am not certain since I have not attempted your solution. Lol, wasting time seems to be chronic on Tech forums!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information