+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WINDOW 2000 PRO

WINDOW 2000 PRO

Can anyone tell me how I can reformat my C: drive, so that I can do a fresh install of my Windows 2000 Pro. Problem occurred on a new build, I was having trouble setting the frequency from 100 to 133. That problem i was having that at 100 they system boots fine..no errors....but when I change everything to 133 in the bios and on the motherboard....it will not boot to windows....so i will have to clean out the harddrive....so that I can reset everything back to 133mhz and then run a fresh install of windows 2000 pro...anyone with any suggestions I would really appreciate it.....i think its the only thing I have left to do to have my new build running great....thanks again

Ultimate Member
    Sure, formatting is easy. All you have to do is boot from your Win2K CD and start a new install. It'll give you the option to format your hard drive.

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i assume you are talking about the ram

is all the ram in the system pc 133? also what are the other system specs?

to format the drive just go into the bios and change the boot up options to boot to cd first

Put the W2K cd in and boot to CD. Start the install and when it asks where you want to install to select the partition and then format it. You can also delete the partition and recreate it then format. All of this can be done during the install.

You can also use a win98 bootdisk and format the drive that way. If it is not NTFS

no I am not talking about memory.....I am running a P4 2.4Ghz....PC2700 DDR 512.....80 gig hd....well what was happening was that the chip was running at 100 mhz....and i wanted to run it at 133mhz....well i had already installed the os at 100mhz....and thru the motherboards forum....i finally found a way to set the cpu frequency at 133....i had to change the sdram frequency in the bios to "auto" turn of the comp and change the jumpers on the motherboard to 133.....well once i did the system would not completely boot into windows....well i am guessing but its worth a try....if i reformat the harddrive....i can shut down the computer and reset it back to 133 as i explained above and with my windows cd run a new install....im not sure it would work but trial and error doesnt hurt as long as i dont hurt my computer

Windows doesn't care what the cpu frequency is so a reinstallation will not help if that is the only change. If your earlier experiments caused Windows to corrupt files, then a reinstall could help.

well i am thinking that is what happened...i hoping this would work, because at 100mhz the machine works just fine.....its only when i change the jumpers and the bios setting to get the cpu frequency to run at 133 is when that happens, i get the following message:

windows 2000 could not restart because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows 2000 Root>\System32\ntoskrnl.exe....Please reinstall a copy of the above file....that is all i get when i try to run at 133....not sure what it is

Ahhhh, I see that message sometimes when I try to overclock my system too high. At which point I back off a little and Windows boots just fine.

What is the normal speed of your CPU?
    Say it is like, 100MHz X 10. If you were to all of a sudden try to change that to 133MHZ x10, you might get that message. In a situation like that you might have to lower your multiplier down to 8 or 9. I'm not sure that that is the situation here, and whether this pertains.

But I've definitely seen that message before...
    Crunching to Crush Cancer!

Somebody, Stop Me!

Scott

thats the whole thing too.....im really not trying to overclock the cpu...it should be able to run at 133.....intel chips are locked so i can't do any mods to it in the bios...but to run it at 133 i just change a set of two jumpers to 133 and change the sdram frequency to auto so that it can take the change.....but i feel that in order for me to do that....i have to have a clean harddrive so that when i use the windows cd i can do a fresh install....and maybe it would boot up fine after its done....not sure what to do anymore....

set the system back down to 100Mhz if it works with that, then somthing in your system dosent like the 133mhz. (you've got a P4 2.4Ghz so 24x100=2400 that could be the problem there (but then again i know next to nothing about the P4s...)

well thanks alot for the feedback everyone.....i found out the problem as to why i couldnt get it at 133.....there were some pins for the memory that needed to be shorted if DDR was being used...well it was my oversight....i thought they were three pins, but they actually turned out to be two pin and the caps were just on one pin...which is just like they werent there at all.....ooopss....i just decided to go over my motherboard really carefully and i noticed that...after i shorted them i did a fresh installation and everything worked out just fine...thanks again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information