+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VMWare ???

VMWare ???

Simple question is this software worth it?
    I would like to dable with Linux, and maybe some other OS, but mainly Linux, but I do not want to do a dual boot, nor do I wish to run it constantly.
    Mainly what I am looking for is the ability to run Linux and learn how to use it better, including its networking featuers, but without the need to reboot my system whenever I may feel like trying something out.

Has anyone tried VMWare, does it what it suppose to do well, or am I stuck making a partition and installing the bloody thing there and forcing my self to not forget its there and use it, like I usualy do ;(

Thanks guys
    -=Marcin=-

I don't think vmware is the best choice for what you described. If you were doing testing, and wanted to load up a whole bunch of OSes that you could quickly restore, then vmware is cool. But for the hassles you described, Vmware will replace them with other hassles that are probably worse. Also, as well as vmware works, it isn't the same as the real thing.

I think you need a second Hard Drive, or maybe removable HD cages. They're dirt cheap at computergeeks, and you can physically swap the drives in and out. That way you don't have to worry about hosing your main drive.

However, multiple partitions on one HD isn't that bad. But I understand what you're complaining about, when you're first getting started with Linux, the multiple partitions can get a bit confusing/messy.

Well that not the biggest worry.
    What I want to avoid is installing the OS in a dual setup.
    I have tried that twice before, and ended up delting the partion of formating the drive getting rid of Linux.
    Its fine at first I dable with it for a bit, and restart into windows.
    Then I just don't even bother going into Linux, and stick with Windows. Don't have the discipline I guess, or the drive.

With this I guessed I could install it, and then just run it when I get the urge to do so, without needing to reboot.
    -=Marcin=-

I've had absolutely NO luck with it running Linux from Windows...it screws up everything. I ran Windows from VMware on linux just fine though.
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe | AMD AthlonXP 2600+ | 512mb Corsair XMS Extreme DDR

But remember, you're running Linux, you're running a virtual Linux session within vmware. It is a bit slower, and it is "different". 95% + works perfect within vmware, but when you need it most, vmware may let you down. It's great for playing around with, but at least through Version 3, I'd hate to rely on it.

Version 4 is out, which I haven't played with. But based on previous experience with vmware, and also based on the cost, I wouldn't say it's the perfect choice. Kinda takes the fun out of a free OS to pay for vmware to run it.

Well I got my hands on version 4, so I guess I will give it a shot.
    Not like I am doing anything that is mission critical with my system.

All I want from it is to learn enought, and get hooked, so that I will than be able to properly install it, and actuallly use it.
    Hell I might even migrate to Linux if I can find it does everything Windows can.

What I need:
    Word, Excel, PowerPoint functionality.
    the use of Divix, Xvid, 3Vid, and anyother codecs that I would need to watch encoded anime, and japanese tv shows (some are very funny, and provide a relief form the drying well that the US has right now, I HATE REALITY TV)
    Also need the use of Kazaa, Trillian, and a way to monitor my system Temps
    And one of the most important: The ability to run Diablo II

Can Linux provide all of that for me?
    I don't really care bout other games too much although running them would be nice.
    -=Marcin=-

MS apps on linux? huh uh
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe | AMD AthlonXP 2600+ | 512mb Corsair XMS Extreme DDR

I am sorry I should have been more precise.
    What I meant is the usabity of something that will give me the same results.
    MS Word, I need a word processor that can read and save doc files.
    Same goes for Excel, and PowerPoint.
    I do not want to run those specific apps on the linux OS.
    -=Marcin=-

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i have run all sorts of flavors on linux with no problems with vmware. i love it

as for subsitutes for windows

http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/
    http://www.linuxjunior.org/yabbse/in...;threadid=5187

those will get you started
    Last edited by GroundZero3; July 3rd, 2003 at 09:16 PM.

why don't you try Knoppix it totaly runs from CD. It is awsome without screwing up your HD. Stinky

Blog Entries
    good suggestion stinky, personally tho i find it slow. but a great way to learn linux! of course it doesnt save anything

well it still requires the need for rebooting my system.
    I guess I am just lazy, and want to be able to just turn off VMWare, whenever I get bored of Linux, and get back to windows without any delay.
    Or just switch between the two on the fly, if that is possilbe with VMWare 4.0.

I guess I am sold on the idea, and will try it.
    Worse comes I need to reinsatll my os, and I have learned a lesson.
    Thanks for all the input, and as to Knoppix, I would like to use that to troubleshoot hardware problems, this being one reason I want to get more comfortable with linux
    -=Marcin=-

as already mentionned, I've tested Knoppix,
    Linux version that you have to burn on a CD and then, boot from the CD. And I enjoy working at the prompt with the powerful shellscript.
    You have a full Linux system without installation, like the Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE).
    Your hardware is detected and you can work with Mozilla, OpenOffice, in total more than 900 installed software packages with over 2000 executable user programs, utilities, and games.
    I can see my Windows partitions in read-only mode, listen to my mp3 or look at my videos, everything is running in a RAMDisk. But it's a little bit slow with a 24x CD-ROM.
    The only problem is the download if you have dial-up : 650 MB !
    A lot of people speak about Linux without testing it, Knoppix is a good opportunity to have an idea about Linux without messing with an install.

More information at http://www.knopper.net

KNOPPIX is a bootable CD with a collection of {GNU/Linux} software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a Linux demo, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it.

If you want, you can save on disk, i've do it.
    Pierre.

Well I have learned my lesson, (waiting for the I told you so)
    VMWare has somehow managed to screw up my internenet connection, or something to do with DNS.
    Takes forever to load up pages, and some don't even load.
    Only about 20 min after boot, does everything run as it should.
    Argh, damn you emulators!!!! (only VGBA is a good emulator at the moment)
    -=Marcin=-

Blog Entries
    how much ram do you have? Vmware runs a bunch of programs in the background at windows startup

I got 512 MB of RAM, but VMWare is no longer on my system.
    Atleast I hope it got unistalled properly and did not leave any interesting suprises for me.
    -=Marcin=-

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information