+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Backups question

Hi everybody,

Two how to types of issues for which I would like your opinions on how to resolve.

Question 1
    On my Win98 box, I have a specific directory, we'll call it Mable for discussion purposes. I would like to implement an automated process which would essentially mirror the contents of the Mable directory from the Win98 box to my Win XP home box. The two boxes are currently networked and sharing a cable internet connection.

Is this possible?

Someone had suggested XXCOPY, however I am not familiar with the app. Any applications suggestion to resolve this issue?

Question 2
    The user of the above listed Win98 box is currently doing some basic website html work. For discussion purposes, lets assume the website URL is http://www.myweb.com. I had earlier used Teleport Pro to create a local replica of the website, however, I was uncertain as to the best way to automate this process. Is it possible to automate a process to backup the website?

Ideally, for both of these issues, I would like to establish processes which would remove the "human" factor from the process. The overall goal of both of these questions is too allow me to perform backups on these processes for which I currently do not have a plan.

Thank you

I am running WINXP and use Scheduled Tasks to run Backup application every night on certain directories. I believe that WIN98 also has the ability to run Scheduled Tasks. If you share the out the directory on the WIN98 PC and map to it from the WINXP PC, you can include its files in the backup.

If Mable is located at c:\Mable on you win98 pc and you want to copy it to c:\Mable on the XP pc, then the following will automatically map drive O: to the XP pc, copy the contents and delete the mapped drive.

NET USE O: \\XP_PC_Name
    c:
    cd\
    xcopy Mable O:\Mable\ /D /E /Y
    NET USE O: /DELETE

You can create a batch file using notepad and then schedule the task to run everyday at a specified time or during boot-up.

As far as backing up the website, you may be able to automate an FTP program to do this.

not trying to crap on your thread here, but, I thought I would ask here instead of making a new thread.

I want to back up my personal files: my documents, downloads, and such. I run W2K and set up a small 2GB Fat32 partition to share with my boy's computer. Thought it would be easier to share a drive rather than have to set permissions for individual folders. Anyways, I was thinking, I could put those files(the ones I want to keep backed up) on that partition and just back up the whole partition on a daily basis. Does that sound ok? Do you suspect any problems?
    ChrisK> Certified computer crash dummy. Got a tweak you've never tried? Give it to me; if I can't crash it, it cannot be crashed!

Should be fine. If you want to use xcopy you would do something like this:

xcopy d: e:\backup /D /E /Y

That will copy all the directories and subdirectories from the D Drive to the backup folder on the E Drive. The /D switch is pretty cool. After you perform the initial backup, using /D causes xcopy to only copy files that are new or that changed, so you are not copying everything each time.

Originally posted by meese

As far as backing up the website, you may be able to automate an FTP program to do this.

I was playing with Teleport Pro's scheduler. It appears I could use that to automate the creation of a local copy at system start-up on the Win98 box. I might even go as far as setting Teleport Pro Scheduler on the XP Home box as it is the one with the DVD burner on it. No sense having to transfer the local website replica.

Any suggestions beyond Teleport Pro Scheduler? Thank you for the help.

I'm not familiar with Teleport Pro. Our webiste is not real complex. I used FrontPage to make it and I use it to import the web to my pc maybe once a month, or anytime I make a change. But this is done manually.

Hi everybody

A follow-up question to the earlier posted xcopy question. My current batch file is set to run on my WinXP system. The much appreciated post from meese has me running this as a push from the Win98 box to the WinXP box. I would rather execute the batch on the WinXP box and pull the files from the Win98 box.

The folder I am attempting to run xcopy on is on the second disk drive of the Win98 box. The folder name on the Win98 box I want to xcopy from is called Mable. I have an equivalent folder on the WinXP box. The batch file currently reads as follows:

NET USE Q:\\Win98_PC_Name\disk_drive_2
    c:
    cd\windows
    cd\system32
    xcopy Q:\Mable\ Mable /D /E /Y
    NET USE Q: /DELETE

I am getting the following error when the batch is run:
    System error 67 has occurred.
    The network name cannot be found.
    The system cannot find the specified path.
    More help is available by typing net helpmsg 2250.

So I typed net helpmsg 2250 and received directions to type net use to display a list of system resources.

So I typed net use and got the following:
    Status OK
    Local Nothing
    Remote \\Win98_PC_Name\disk_drive_2

Any thoughts as to where I went wrong. You'll have to excuse noobieness to networking. I have alot to learn. Thank you for the help.

Ultimate Member
    I didnt read thru all the posts..but one thing I had a problem with was trying to get XP to work on a W98 workgroup...was that the win98/ME machines would work quite well with a space in the computer name but they XP machine wouldnt work with the W98 machine with the space in the name.

In other words the W98se machine had a name of, say, ...... 'Joe's comp" well that worked fine with all the machines until I put the XP machine on the workgroup. I chased it all around until I took the space out like this "Joe'sComp"...then it worked just fine.

I am really weak on unc naming coventions etc...so maybe those "_" dont fly well with XP?? Just brainstorming.

Good Luck, JP
    "Even a fool is thought to be wise if he is silent"

Jack,

You need to create a mapped drive pointing to mable. Make Q map to mable directly. For some reason you can't use a path on the remote pc, whether you copy to it or copy from it. As an example:

xcopy c:\mable O: /D /S /E /Y

you can specify the path "\mable" because its on the local pc, but if the destination is "\\somepc\jimbob\mable", when you define mapped drive O you will use the entire path.

Basically what I'm saying is mable needs to be a mapped drive on the 98 pc.

Hope that makes sense

Why don't you want to use an utility like Retrospect o BackUpMyPC? Any compelling reason to use Xcopy other than that it is free?

Some of the programs like the two I mentioned or even Genie Back Up Manager are extremely intelligent and configurable.

Wait a minute. I think your only problem is you need a space between Q: \\. Its like netuse mapped drive, space, path. Sorry about the above post.

shahani,

I like to do things myself when I can. You tend to learn more that way

There is more to networking then the GUI. The command prompt is more powerful if you know what you are doing.
    Last edited by meese; September 9th, 2003 at 02:21 PM.

Ultimate Member
    http://www.techsoftpl.com/backup/

some software called "mirrorfolder" that basically mirrors a folder or folders to another location...sort of like a raid1 setup on a file basis.

I had a client (one of my only ones, lol) using retrospect....some other peeps had set it up...anyway, it crashed all the time....I rebuilt the backup...but a few days later it crashed again...Im sort of scared of retrospect now. But the W98 comp in question was always left on, and it has surely been years without a rebuild and probably is years behind on windows updates too! So maybe retrospect wasnt fully to blame.

I do agree to a point about the command prompt...less bloat and more direct can be appealing sometimes.

JP

I know there are some nice GUI backup options available and "mirrorfolder" looks pretty cool. But like anything else its an app that needs to be installed on all machines. Kind of a pain if you have 30 pc's (that's $23x30=$690). I've always liked to do things myself. The simple script I use does the job, and rather well. Plus its free and its not another app installed on my pc. It runs automatically on all the clients and also VPN's to my home server each night. Its been 100% reliable for over a year now.

Ultimate Member
    That whole "backup to home server thru vpn" deal is sweet, I have thought a bit about that.

Is that hard to get going? I suppose the server needs to run 24/7...how are the clients setup as far as internet access goes? I guess surely they are on broadband...but is the script controlling the vpn aspect? I doubt it...so how exactly do you have the vpn thing setup? Is it just thru W2k vpn etc?

I understand the concept of vpn but am a little shaky as far as the exact details of setting one up...even fuzzier on having it be automatic, lol. Say I have a client with W98...(no one around here uses w2k, only 98 and xp home)...how would I get that 98 machine to vpn to a backup server that I had here at my apt...lets say the server here was XP Pro. (if its too much trouble to explain, dont worry about it, lol....I am just trying to get a clear picture in my head)

JP

Ultimate Member
    Could tight VNC be used if needed? (in case they dont have W2k or WinXP)

JP

Below is the batch file I run each night from my work server to my home server. I removed stuff for less clutter. What I do is have each client pc copy only updated or new data to the server at login each day. Then run the batch file below each night using the windows task scheduler. Look closely at the last section of the batch file that uses the "RASDIAL" command. Pretty cool and powerful, as is xcopy if you know how to use it. Both my home and work networks are domains, but you should be able to VPN between workgroups.

Oh yea, I have cable at home and work for internet access and the servers run 24/7.

----------------------------------------------------
    @ECHO OFF
    CLS
    ECHO Transmitting

e:
    cd\
    xcopy E: G: /D /E /Y

NET USE X: \\server2\D$
    e:
    cd\
    xcopy Access X:\Access\ /D /S /E /Y
    xcopy Accounting X:\Accounting\ /D /S /E /Y
    ECHO Transfer Complete, will hang-up now.
    NET USE X: /DELETE

RASDIAL VPN_HOME
    NET USE X: \\home_svr\D\ftp-bak\T5
    e:
    cd\
    RASDIAL VPN_HOME /DISCONNECT
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by meese; October 10th, 2003 at 04:30 PM.

Ultimate Member
    Ok, I understand like half of that...I have used xcopy before, but its been a while and it had nothing to do with networking...I used to put it and xcopy32 on my boot floppies but cant remember why, it was a couple years ago, lol.

I guess what I really dont get is.....how does it know to connect to YOUR computer at home as opposed to one of the millions of others online. I dont see IP addresses in other words.

So does that mean the vpn is already setup on the machine and that AFTER the vpn is ALREADY setup that you just use the RASDIAL command? So "VPN_Home" is the name of a pre existing connection?

This is cool stuff, I must learn it, lol.

JP

Exactly. The VPN connection is already setup. VPN_HOME is the name of the connection.

The first section of the batch file:

e:
    cd\
    xcopy E: G: /D /E /Y.

copies the E: drive to the G: drive on my primary server.

The second section:

NET USE X: \\server2\D$
    e:
    cd\

copies the e: drive of the primary server to the secondary server.

Also the xcopy /D /E /Y only copies the updated stuff so you only need to copy all the data one time. After that it only will copy files that have changed ot that are new.
    Last edited by meese; October 10th, 2003 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information