+ Reply to Thread

Windows XP SE (Second Edition?)

Hello,
    I have heard that Microsoft had or have plans on releasing the Second Edition of XP. Is this true or just rummors? IMO this will be no good since it will show that they couldnt make a proper OS. Think about the people that purchased XP how they will feel. Im asking this since one of my friends asked me if it was worth for him to buy XP or wait since he also heard about this plan. I said to him that I was going to ask you guys in this forum and answer him later since I really dont know. It will be strange if they did IMO since they have planned to release the next version of Windows codenamed "Longhorn " in late 2004 early 2005. I will be feeling like history repeats itself since this happened to Windows 98. Most people now that use 98 use the SE and the FE is pretty forgotten. I hope that Microsoft dont do this release for the sake of the people and also for themselves since they will get more bad reputation. Although I would agree that it would be nice to have a "better" version than XP. I think that XP have a lot of issues to be fixed and that Microsoft could have made a better OS IMO with the bucks and power that they have. Although I also think that XP is great in some areas. But actually very similar to 2K, almost too much, except for the visual of course.

dan

Personally i doubt that they will release a second edition. i haven't heard anything confirming or denying this, but just from what i know about 98 FE and SE compared to XP there is no reason to, and in a way there actually is an SE already.

Basically the difference in 98 FE and SE is that Se is 98 FE with a service pack, they just didn't call it that and they didn't release a downloadable service pack.

You can get copies of XP now that already have SP1 in them, so in a way that is XP SE.

Of course i haven't heard anything from MS to prove or refute this, so i could be wrong. But i haven't heard anything at all about it

NDC
    Xtreme Member
    I've seen that on the Internet. They seem to have labled Longhorn as Windows XP Secod Edition...
    [NDC]

Pretty weird stuff.
    Yeah originel, your right. I also dont think there will be a XP Second Edition, because SP2 is suppose to be released in the end of 2003 (soon) and why would they be doin an other service pack for XP if they are planning to release the Second edition? But you never know with Microsoft anyways. I at least hope they dont. NDC, yeah thats one of the things I didnt get either. I also heard that they are maybe going to call what is called today "Longhorn" for Windows XP Second Edition. That is IMO not a good title to the next Windows since they will take XP as a OS that should have never been released.

dan

Originally posted by originel
    Basically the difference in 98 FE and SE is that Se is 98 FE with a service pack, they just didn't call it that and they didn't release a downloadable service pack.
    No, Microsoft made you go BUY the "Service Pack" so they could rake in more money. Enough already!

I seriously doubt that. XP is following the NT and 2000 way of MS releasing service packs. Far easier and less likely to cause a public uproar.

Sean

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information