+ Reply to Thread

Red face URL Malformed- need help!!!

I am having a Win XP issue. After just upgrading from home edition to professional. Each time I boot, I get an run time error message that says " URL is Malformed error # 35752" I get this message every time I boot and can not seem to find a way to correct the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You've got a corrupt registry entry. Easily fixed by getting rid of the 'spyware' on your computer. Download/run Ad-Aware (free!) and get rid of Alexa, at the very least. Hopefully that should fix it.

Download Ad-Aware (free!)

- rp

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I've already done that and still have the problem. Any other suggestions????

Have you ever installed Bearshare, LimeWire, Kazaa, Grokster, Net2phone or BonziBuddy?

There is/was a trojan included with those installers.

You are infected with this trojan if you have either of these files:
    C:\Windows\system\explorer.exe
    - or -
    C:\Windows\explorer\explorer.exe
    Note that the C:\Windows\explorer.exe is OKAY to have

IF you have the first 2, then you need to clean your system of the specific trojan. Grokster has a tool.

- rp

I really appreciate your help. Unfortunately I do not have either of the files you mentioned. I checked the grokster site and ran the fix anyway in case i missed the files......no luck still get at boot up malformed URL run time error 35752

H>>>>E>>>>L>>>>P

I don't mean to send you on a wild goose chase.. but..

Start -> Run -> msconfig

On the 'startup' tab, are there any entries that you don't recognize?

(Maybe you can attach a screenshot of that window... simply ALT+PrintScreen, and a copy of the window will be put in your clipboard. Open up Paint, and 'Paste', and your screenshot should show up. Save As JPEG or GIF, and then attach to your post.)

- rp

thanks for staying with me on this. attached are two gif files pg 1 and pg 2 of the start up image.

thanks

bs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails URL Malformed- need help!!!-start-up-pg-1.gif  

whoops, you missed the 2nd attachment. I believe you can only attach one at a time.

I looked over the first image. Although you could uncheck some items to improve performance, none of them should be causing the problem you are seeing.

- rp

Here is the attachment and thanks again. What would you suggest I uncheck???
    Thanks

BS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails URL Malformed- need help!!!-start-up-pg-2.gif  

Ouch! the "Belt.exe" is the one that is probably causing your issues. It is Adware, or.. a 'browser Hijack'.

See Symantec's website for more information about Adware.Binet and how to remove it!

Symantec only updated that page yesterday (Nov. 19th), so it must be fairly new.

I'll post back later about which other boxes you could uncheck. ('Belt' is the only harmful one of the bunch)

- rp

I note that you are using Adaware regularly, but are you sure you have the latest version? Adaware needs to be updates almost as often as your virus Dat files. Check your version and even consider downloading the newest version and run it whether you think you have the latest or not.
    now THIS is interesting....

Supporting our military Bill in SD, CA's Avatar
    Welcome to TechIMO!!

I use this program to scan for trojans.

They're very good at updating the database frequently.

Think there's a 30 day trial on it.

The Cleaner 4.0 Professional

Bill
    The final legacy of the United States will be that in the end liberalism shamed & destroyed the heritage of this great nation. How sad as I see no turning back. When in Rome ..

I swear I posted again on the 20th about Startup items. TechIMO might have eaten my post. Re-Post. (If someone finds my orig posting, lemme know and I'll delete it.)

-------------

To determine the startup items that you do not need, please visit this comprehensive startup programs listing. To use it, simply find the letter of the item in question.. (for example 'realsched'), and click on the letter (in this case it would be 'R'.)

This site gives you a great explanation on what each item does, and can help you decide if it is really necessary for your system.

- rp

Hey! I'm having the same problem with my WinXp when it boots up. I'm not that good with my computer! If someone can help me out a bit with more details, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
    `~*babyblue*~`

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information