+ Reply to Thread

converting dell laptop to redhat

well, i am tired of usin the same ol win xp all the time, so i am decidin to convert my dell laptop to a redhat 8.? linux distro... anyone have any pointers on how to do this and start it fresh with redhat (or whatever is the free version ) any known hickups? post em here, ty

The Terk

redhat 9

to be exact... redhat 9 is the latest distro, i've tried it, and i actually have all 3iso's in a safe place.

redhat 9 is great, it looks great, it performs well, and it does everything u want to do.... i on the other hand, i really use my pc for multimedia purposes, and thats where i draw the line.

redhat 9 does not come with all "mpeg123 and divx" codecs for watching movies and playing back music.

Mandrake 9.1 however is great, it comes with everything a multimedia user needs, but redhat is still a great system, "i dont use"

its not that hard to install it on a laptop, or pc..... just boot the CD ONe and start the installation, then if asked, custom partition and/or use free space on a windows partition, i heard something about LINUX can't "do something with NTFS partitions so watch out, u might mess up the system.

but other than that, having windows xp and redhat 9 on a single drive separate partition is not a bad idea.

give it a try, use REDHAT 9 or Mandrake 9.1 "think twice about Mandrake 9.2

so mandrake and redhat are both free right? if so cool, and also, can i just do a complete reformat with just linux on the laptop? that is what i would ultimately want, if not doin dual boot will have to do i guess.. ty for the quick responce!

The Terk

Talking

ofcourse! redhat 9 and mandrake 9.1 are completely free,

NOT TECHNICALLY exept for the 3 blank CDRS u need to burn the iso's !

look, im a linux "newbie" and i've used it for about 8months,
    linux redhat or mandrake are beautiful systems! and best of all
    freeeeeee

but i do not recommend erasing windows...... u might need it for somethings.... plus its a great "transition" from windows to linux if u keep ur xp.

after 6months... when u get the hang of things, delete windows!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information