I was getting this error when trying to start the automatic update service in windows xp sp2
This worked for me:
Error 0x80004015 when Automatic updates fail with WSUS Server | Windows Reference
After I got this running I was having problems with the BITS service,
KBAlertz.com: You may receive an error message that contains the 0x8DDD0018 code or the 0x80246008 code when you try to download updates from the Microsoft Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site
As I noted in this thread, I updated all my servers yesterday without a problem. It will make you run the wizard again and it can be slow!
For the last couple of days ive been fighting clients not reporting their update status to WSUS. After some digging around and playing with the WSUS Client Diagnostic Tool. I think I finally figured it out.
All my clients were showing up with this error:
WinHttpDownloadFileToMemory(szURLDest, NULL, 0, NULL, NULL, NULL,&downloadBuffer) failed with hr=0x80190194
I found this fix that cleared it up. Supposedly it has something to do with SP1 breaking
I work for a large organization that has about 22 remote sites running Windows XP and server 2003 (we are not moving to Vista at all). Windows Update has never really been a huge priority in our network because of our small staff and the amount of computers we have will be a management nightmare. With the recent virus attack of conflickr I have taken it upon myself to setup our WSUS infrastructure over the last couple of weeks, and surprisingly it has gone fairly smooth. Our first attempt at