+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Do you have any experience with Cisco equipment? It seems like you might have some experience since they are one of the largest network equipment and play a huge part in a lot of the stuff you mentioned

To be honest it seems like Cisco would be right up your alley (if you enjoy everything you listed)

Please list the hardware you have touched to give us a better idea of what would be best for you. Nothing wrong with giving us as much information as possible, the more info the better to help suggest a direction!

Do you have any sort of certifications right now? Also certifications aren't everything, they are great to have on a resume but your experience is going to help out more!

GZ3 I appreciate the interest but I'm not looking for counceling. I really just want answers to my 2 questions.
    And I work for Nortel...Cisco is a rival, we have our own Switches and Routers, so no I do not have experience on Cisco equipment other than the class I took.

Quote Originally Posted by davidpat View Post
    nemowolf -- Might I suggest that you don't start out with a slap to the person that you are going to give advice to. I was not a cable puller, I am a Senior Technical Support Engineer that works on both Software and Hardware issue. I love the way people jump to conclusions...money is not all I care about, but I think it is an important thing to know since I have a wife and 2 small children not to mention that I prefer not to go from a 6 figure income to a career that may have a ceiling of $50-60k. I'm not sure where you jumped to the conclusion that I wouldn't have any interest in the training...I assume that has something to do with the money issue. I have taken a course in all of the 3 career fields I mentioned and I find them all interesting, not to mention the fact that I can't even count all the training I've taken in 17 years at Nortel.
    GroundZero3 - Data was not my side of the house. I worked on Circuit Switched Voice and Wireless GSM, but I did mention that I worked VoIP which is Packet Switched Voice with Routers and Switches (hot too many hubs). It is heavy in Subnetting, TCP/IP, UDP, ARP, Ethernet, Unix, etc...
    I didn't want to clutter the Forum with my autobiograpy so that everyone would know my background, motivations, hopes and dreams, and interests, on the contrary I tried to keep the forum from being cluttered by asking that I don't get the same "It's not all about money..." lecture that I have seen dozens of time in other forums when anyone asks about the potential income of a given careers, which I see as responsible career planning. All I asked was 2 questions:
    1) Of 3 possible areas of study which has the best potential to make the most money?
    2) Of 3 possible areas of study which field will have the most job opportunities?
    Well sir, I take it as a personal offense that you have a six figure income and your going to steal a job from someone who doesnt have an established career already. I say you stick with your current job and work towards retirement. Personally, i dont see you as an easy transition and its not worth it for you.

Neither of the jobs is going to get you more then 30-60k starting and with no experience in Cisco or Servers, your going to have to start from the bottom. More then welcome to check Dice.com and see what you can find but your not going to have an easy go of it. A friend of mine has been out of a job since October of last year and were in Silicon Valley. I was accosted twice for IT jobs while on site working yesterday. If you arnt in a major hub for IT work, good luck to you sir finding something that is going to pay over 6 figures starting to help you support your family.

PS: I don't try to come off as offense but money and expected income is not why i went into IT nor do i want to see i potential IT coworkers. Money should never be the motivating factor for a career, passion and desire should be. You seem to have neither as your not happy with your own salary and current responsibilities.

PPS: Start your own business supporting Nortel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GroundZero3 View Post
    I think the Cisco world has the potential to make a lot more money than most of the Microsoft certifications. If you can get the CCIE which is above the CCNP you can make over 6 figures easily if you have the knowledge to back it up. I cant comment on the Oracle stuff, but im sure there is money in it to if you have the knowledge and hands on.
    I have already given you a suggestion but since you didn't give all the information my reply is voided. There is no way anyone can say hey go for this and you will get paid a lot. It all depends on your experience, your location, the job,the company, the benefits etc etc etc. Me being a Cisco person with a soon to be CCNP, my salary can range from $30k-90k depending on the company/location!

Since you have no interest in Cisco because of your job, then your choices are pretty much MS/Security/Or some kind of Database application.

1) Of 3 possible areas of study which has the best potential to make the most money?
    2) Of 3 possible areas of study which field will have the most job opportunities?
    1) to many factors to say what is best. Do some research for what salaries are for your area. Six Figure Salary Jobs: 6 figure income jobs, 6 figure salary, 6figure jobs ($100,000 job, $100k job

On reviewing these jobs, most have manager, director, or chief in the title. As i pointed out before, since your already over six figures there is no reason for you to change jobs if money is an issue as you will NOT find an entry level Cisco/Networking/Server job that pays anywhere near what you want to make nor will it be a quick process to make what you make now. You have invested 17 years already, unless your being laid off or have already been fired ... there is no reason to change careers.

2) general fields like Servers have the most opportunities but the least pay. Specializations like Cisco or DBA have the least opportunities because while a company might have a handful of server admins, they may only have one DBA.
    Last edited by nemowolf; March 11th, 2009 at 06:13 PM.

nemowolf -- Pick up a newspaper! I've been with Nortel from a high of 94000 employees worldwide to the current 30000 with 5000 more layoffs coming. I'm SO sorry that you "take it as a personal offense" that I'm trying to be proactive and "steal a job from someone who doesnt have an established career". That is a great idea "stick with your current job and work towards retirement.", gee do you think you can get Nortel to quit laying people off! As for following my passion, I'm going from one technical career to another technical career so that is obviously where my heart is, trying to be smart about my fanancial future seen like a no brainer to me. I didn't realize you were such a good judge of character with so little to go on..."passion and desire ... You seem to have neither as your not happy with your own salary and current responsibilities." It might surprise you to know that I am happy with both my job and my career, but the end of Nortel is close and I'm trying to be a responsible husband and father and plan ahead. Judging your character from your responses I'd have to say you are an ass and I hope that is not a requirement in the IT field.
    GroundZero3 -- I realize that you can't give me exact dollar amounts and I appreciate that. As for doing research that is what this is! I of course am doing research else where too. I've said this before, but I don't expect to take a class and get a $100k a year job. I'm looking for a low $40k job with a potential $80-90k. The reason I want to change now is because I wnat to leave before I'm laid off and have no income since Nortel nolonger pays a severance. The research you suggest on the internet is not accurate. The job pages tell you that you can make big money with xyz Cert., when in reality it is with the Cert. and 5 years of experience. I thought I would go straight to the horses mouth...that certainly started well. Maybe I'll try another "Help" page.

nemowolf -- Pick up a newspaper! I've been with Nortel from a high of 94000 employees worldwide to the current 30000 with 5000 more layoffs coming. I'm SO sorry that you "take it as a personal offense" that I'm trying to be proactive and "steal a job from someone who doesnt have an established career". That is a great idea "stick with your current job and work towards retirement.", gee do you think you can get Nortel to quit laying people off! As for following my passion, I'm going from one technical career to another technical career so that is obviously where my heart is, trying to be smart about my fanancial future seen like a no brainer to me. I didn't realize you were such a good judge of character with so little to go on..."passion and desire ... You seem to have neither as your not happy with your own salary and current responsibilities." It might surprise you to know that I am happy with both my job and my career, but the end of Nortel is close and I'm trying to be a responsible husband and father and plan ahead. Judging your character from your responses I'd have to say you are an ass and I hope that is not a requirement in the IT field.
    GroundZero3 -- I realize that you can't give me exact dollar amounts and I appreciate that. As for doing research that is what this is! I of course am doing research else where too. I've said this before, but I don't expect to take a class and get a $100k a year job. I'm looking for a low $40k job with a potential $80-90k. The reason I want to change now is because I wnat to leave before I'm laid off and have no income since Nortel nolonger pays a severance. The research you suggest on the internet is not accurate. The job pages tell you that you can make big money with xyz Cert., when in reality it is with the Cert. and 5 years of experience. I thought I would go straight to the horses mouth...that certainly started well. Maybe I'll try another "Help" page.
    Whats a newspaper?

www.comptia.org look for their practice test. under certification test , preparing to for test or something like that. The real certification tests cost a pretty penny though. good luck .

www.Networkingboards.com

www.CCIEFlyer.com

www.sadikhov.com - Recently cleaned up

www.msceworld.com

www.boson.com

www.groupstudy.com

I guess the list goes on and on...

Let me know what you are looking for...

Darby Weaver

I'm not looking to stay in telecom. I just made the point to show that I wasn't a car salesman jumping into a technical field, that I had a tech background. And that after 17 years in telco I make good money so I won't be satisfied with an A+ and a MSDST. What I want to know is which area would have the best potential to make the most $$$:
    CCNA/P
    MCSA/E
    OCP DBA
    Which field will have the most job opportunities:
    CCNA/P
    MCSA/E
    OCP DBA

David,

You said you have 17 years in Telco. Can you be more specific?

I've got most of the qualifications listed above except specifically for an Oracle DBA however, I worked with Oracle DBA's and I've even installed a Database or two in my time.

DBA's do well and are very much in demand if it is your thing. I'd say they have a higher starting salary on average, can specialize, and generally well respected and overall have the lowest learning curve.

Not bad for a 70-80k starting salary. I've seen folks on the help desk make the transition many times to DBA and it works well for them.

MCSE's and CCNP's are generally the "go-to" people - means long hours, extra work and a decent salary. Never out of work either.

I started out pretty much on my own with a screwdriver and a business license and I made it work.

Today I'm a CCNP and I've been the MCSE/MCT (still certified) and I'm the CCxP mostly everything. I'm a CCIE Candidate nowadays.

Give me some idea where you are and maybe I can offer some help of some sort.

Darby Weaver

Blog Entries
    Amazon.com: Mastering VMware vSphere 4 (Computer/Tech) (9780470481387): Scott Lowe: Books

Just got this in the mail Looking over the book it seems really well written

Hoping to learn some new stuff with it, it kind of sucks that you have to take the vmware certified class before you can take the exam but I understand why they do it.

nice! I need to get back on track with my studying ... next year i thinks.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Blog Entries
    My CCNP I think expires next year, gotta start looking at what exam I want to take to renew it for another 3 years.

Blog Entries
    GZ... tell me about that... the VMWare certs: are they difficult to obtain? What exactly is it? What jobs does it go toward? Is it something that I want to do? So many questions... I suppose the last but most important would be, do you make pancakes with syrup in them or just milk, eggs and stuff?

I use VMWare regularly for linux and testing OSes but I see companies wanting VMWare Experts... what's with that? I'm not sure what that even means. All they do is run different environments all day? XD I realize this must sound really stupid but in all honesty I've seen lots of companies requesting these sorts of employees and so I conclude that it's very high in demand. I'm just not sure what "it" is.

I hope you don't mind clarifying... ;/ If you do I'll gladly ask on the forum proper. Just curious.
    “Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” ― Cryptonomicon

Blog Entries
    Consolidation and uptime mark. With the ability to run vSphere on server platforms you can run and entire organization server farms on just a few servers and a SAN. So instead of buying a pizza box server for every single application, you can virtualize most of them so you are saving money on equipment, power, cooling and on top of all of that managing.

Of course to accomplish all this a person who works with vmware needs to know networking, operating systems, applications and depending on the environment network storage. Vsphere is so smart these days it will actually move live virtual machines around in a cluster when the demands change with only a dropped packet. It will also put servers to sleep when the resources are not needed and wake them back up when their resources are needed.

Everyone is pushing towards virtualization, and there is no reason why they shouldn't for the reasons I listed above. Virtualization also is starting to be big with Disaster recovery plans, because virtual machines are running on generic hardware inside a vm you can easily move them from one virtual server to another.

There is a free version of esxi/vSphere you can run in vmware workstation, vmware also gives you 60 days to all the cool functions like HA and live migration. Great for those who want to learn and try stuff out. I reccomend a beefy box if you go this route, see my desktop at home:

http://www.techimo.com/forum/blogs/g...-home-lab.html

Blog Entries
    So essentially applications that require different hardware architectures to run, resources, etc. can all be run from any system with access to this? It sounds like instead of a having a dozen or so high end servers you can essentially cut costs by running such applications in virtual environments instead, a few mains servers that can be accessed anywhere. Am I understanding that correctly? I may not be, again, I'm brand new to this vSphere stuff. Trying to read up on it online (will be able to do more when I get home later).

But don't the client-side machines need to be pretty high powered? I mean I've run things in VMWare and system resources can be demanding. I suppose high end client side computers are a lot cheaper to get/upgrade than full fledged dedicated servers.

Question: How relevant is WMWare when compared with other routes such as running applications directly off a cloud? I realize that cloud computing is more demanding but they seem similar in a sense. Which is more in demand, would you say?

Thanks for the info and details, I'm going to give this a shot. I take it either going Cisco or Windows Server route for certs (or equal work experience instead) are needed for such corporate jobs in addition to VMWare certs for a VMWare Technician/Expert? If not maybe I can try taking a class & the cert and working it from there after I'm done with this CompTIA nonsense.

Edit: Uh yeah... demanding indeed. Nice rig (saw link)... lol, I wish I could afford something like that to play on. I may have to learn this at a school or something as I don't have a system with nearly that much RAM and, from knowing VMWare, RAM is very much needed.
    Last edited by Interrupt; November 15th, 2011 at 12:35 PM.
    “Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” ― Cryptonomicon

Blog Entries
    Yes so blade technology has really taken off in large environments. At my old job we had 5 blades in a cluster housing around 25 virtual machines (we just started the project so the five blades were an overkill)

Right now im testing out virtualization at my new job, I have one server running around 6 virtual machines doing everything from WSUS/Updates, MS Lync, some test servers, dot1x authentication, etc etc etc

Blog Entries
    Stupid question... where did you get all your server experience from? Can you get it from cert study if you aren't working in the field?

That's really what I need. And with this VMWare it seems server knowledge goes hand-in-hand with the goals and purposes of vSphere.

Since finding a job in the field is difficult without experience I've been going to cert route for everything. But from the certs I've been encountering none really touch on server systems much (I had hoped that while studying A+ that it would include that but it doesn't it seems). I'm guessing maybe the N+ does? Haven't gotten to that. Windows Server certs seem to cover more software than hardware, or am I wrong?

The only jobs open in computers seem to be the in-store support positions at the moment, no corporate or IT departments (I'm still applying everywhere), and in-store support definitely don't provide server experience. And obviously my own computer repair business is my own. I focus on desktop PCs not servers. So I'm really lacking that critical experience.

Blog Entries
    I got it from doing it as a job and working on my MCSA for Windows 2003. Learned a lot of useful (and useless) information

Blog Entries
    Do companies actually hire people without any experience on servers before hand if they're good in other computer technician related tasks? And teach them from there all the ins and outs of servers while they study for certs? Honest... lol finding that so difficult to find I almost stopped believing it's possible. Do you need to just catch a lucky break or something?

Here I am considering getting a job at a tech support store just for experience. Probably should just keep applying more corporate.

Sucks that I didn't go to school for this. Decided to make my hobby a profession late in the game and all. So I really hope you don't mind the Qs, GZ.
    Last edited by Interrupt; November 15th, 2011 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information