+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    stop spaming you bastard!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxmancometh View Post
    stop spaming you bastard!
    I know, he ruined my question.. Kill him Taxman, kill them all.
    “Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” ― Cryptonomicon

Banned
    Blog Entries
    He's gone. Sometimes I wish I was a mod.

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marknjas033 View Post
    Do companies actually hire people without any experience on servers before hand if they're good in other computer technician related tasks? And teach them from there all the ins and outs of servers while they study for certs? Honest... lol finding that so difficult to find I almost stopped believing it's possible. Do you need to just catch a lucky break or something?

Here I am considering getting a job at a tech support store just for experience. Probably should just keep applying more corporate.

Sucks that I didn't go to school for this. Decided to make my hobby a profession late in the game and all. So I really hope you don't mind the Qs, GZ.
    Im sure companies have done it in the past, but with IT people being a dime a dozen now im sure its harder to just be hired with the idea of you learning stuff down the road

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxmancometh View Post
    He's gone. Sometimes I wish I was a mod.
    LOL, thanks for saving me Taxman... and I don't! Imagine having to come on all the time and delete stupid spam posts! Well... technically we are on all the time any way I guess.

GZ, I hear you there... also considering specializing in data recovery. I mean I do that now w/ my business but I mean actually being an expert in it somehow (finding some training courses, etc). Right now I know all the software - well Recuva, Undelete and some other really good one I don't have the name of atm - know about HD technologies, interface types and adapters, etc... but I mean real hard core stuff. Like using special government/high end company tools to magnetically pull data off the HDD bit by bit. That sort of thing. Computer forensics.

I'm figuring these sorts of niche areas may make finding a specialty computer job easier on me. Bah I dunno... life sucks. But I think you'd agree... retail repair usually does not help on the resume. :/
    “Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” ― Cryptonomicon

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah the thing to do is find what you are interested in doing and go from there.

I started off with PC repair, then moved into networking/server os, now im kind of playing around with the idea of vSphere but keeping up to date with the Cisco stuff

I'm figuring these sorts of niche areas may make finding a specialty computer job easier on me. Bah I dunno... life sucks. But I think you'd agree... retail repair usually does not help on the resume. :/
    Not entirely true ...

I worked for the Geek Squad for six months and made the transition to a corporate help desk position. The selling point for my new boss was that i had a degree in english which meant i wasnt a l33t sp34k3r and could articulate myself well in conversation and in writing.

My new supervisor worked for Geek Squad for a time so naturally knew what to expect of me as a former as well. I was offered the job immediately on departing from the interview and had an offer letter sent via email within an hour.

So it really depends.

Honestly, it really depends on what your overall goal is out of your IT career.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nemowolf View Post
    Not entirely true ...

I worked for the Geek Squad for six months and made the transition to a corporate help desk position. The selling point for my new boss was that i had a degree in english which meant i wasnt a l33t sp34k3r and could articulate myself well in conversation and in writing.

My new supervisor worked for Geek Squad for a time so naturally knew what to expect of me as a former as well. I was offered the job immediately on departing from the interview and had an offer letter sent via email within an hour.

So it really depends.

Honestly, it really depends on what your overall goal is out of your IT career.
    Wow that's actually pretty good to hear. I'm sort of like that in a sense. I have a college degree but from an unrelated field. Similarly I have a paralegal certification and, again, work experience in an unrelated field (with the exception of some database DE). But I suppose retail isn't necessary a bad thing in that case, even just to make some connections. Worth considering. Having my own company is a bit of hinderance too because local stores view it as competition even though I offer to sign a non-compete (obv. in retail this doesn't mean much) or halt business (a hit to me but worth doing if the job is worth it). Corporations don't care if you have your own repair company, lol, but such jobs are difficult to find at my level. *Shrugs* worth considering though.

Wow that's actually pretty good to hear. I'm sort of like that in a sense. I have a college degree but from an unrelated field. Similarly I have a paralegal certification and, again, work experience in an unrelated field (with the exception of some database DE). But I suppose retail isn't necessary a bad thing in that case, even just to make some connections. Worth considering. Having my own company is a bit of hinderance too because local stores view it as competition even though I offer to sign a non-compete or temporarily halt business. *Shrugs* worth considering though.

you run your own IT shop?

Blog Entries
    Small business out of my home, on-site and pickup and delivery PC repair. But the problem is cost of doing business/advertising and what not which is why I wanted to supplement it by actually working in the field (which to be honest is better because there's little money in straight computer repair). Doing it for experience while studying certs more than money.

I thought it was a good idea initially... and really is... just conflicts a bit w/ retail.
    Last edited by Interrupt; November 15th, 2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling and slight add at bottom

Small business out of my home, on-site and pickup and delivery PC repair. But the problem is cost of doing business/advertising and what not which is why I wanted to supplement it by actually working in the field (which to be honest is better because there's little money in straight computer repair). Doing it for experience while studying certs more than money.

I thought it was a good idea initially... and really is... just conflicts a bit w/ retail.

I have a friend of mine who managed to make a solid income to not need to work a summer job at the age of 17 doing IT work. Really depends on your market and the needs of your client. doing pick-up and delivery PC repair alone isnt doing much work for what is out there. Honestly, I would consider picking up some additional small business clients doing POS and SMB server setups. Your bread and butter comes from support contracts more than actual repairs.

Blog Entries
    Sorry Nemo, I responded to this but the darn thing isn't showing up now.

Thanks for that advice and I do see what you mean. Business support is surely the way to go. I was sort of skeptical as to whether or not businesses would even hire me or call me since I'm a one man army. But I guess you don't know until you try. I dismissed it but I guess I shouldn't. Plus my legal background might give me some insight into legal applications (actually took that in my paralegal class), so on a non-technical level I could at least provide support for that.

As for POS and SMB... since I don't really have retail experience yet I don't have any experience dealing with POS. I'd like to get it though. My eyes are peeled for any "classes" or training sessions that pop up. Since my GF works in retail I do know a lot about the type of systems they use at her store (IBM & Cisco). Maybe I could ask one of those techs if they work for an outsourced company - try to gain employment directly with them - or if through the actual IBM company, the procedure they went through to gain employment and experience.

Edit: My girl's friend does POS terminals and says he didn't have that experience beforehand. Just an A+ and some electronics in college and applied to a business solutions company. That company trained him in repairing POS terminals. So maybe that's a good lead. He says finding a company with an open position and willing to train a brand new tech to business systems is hard to get, especially in this market, but worth it. Said the more certs or schooling or experience the better but to just keep applying. (Added this after my initial post since I just spoke with her and found all this out...)

Worth a shot, right!? Thanks for the idea too, before now I really didn't ask too many questions in regards to repairing/troubleshooting POS. But between you and my GF telling me about it... eh, worth a look into.
    Last edited by Interrupt; November 16th, 2011 at 01:51 PM.

Sorry Nemo, I responded to this but the darn thing isn't showing up now.

Thanks for that advice and I do see what you mean. Business support is surely the way to go. I was sort of skeptical as to whether or not businesses would even hire me or call me since I'm a one man army. But I guess you don't know until you try. I dismissed it but I guess I shouldn't. Plus my legal background might give me some insight into legal applications (actually took that in my paralegal class), so on a non-technical level I could at least provide support for that.

As for POS and SMB... since I don't really have retail experience yet I don't have any experience dealing with POS. I'd like to get it though. My eyes are peeled for any "classes" or training sessions that pop up. Since my GF works in retail I do know a lot about the type of systems they use at her store (IBM & Cisco). Maybe I could ask one of those techs if they work for an outsourced company - try to gain employment directly with them - or if through the actual IBM company, the procedure they went through to gain employment and experience.

Edit: My girl's friend does POS terminals and says he didn't have that experience beforehand. Just an A+ and some electronics in college and applied to a business solutions company. That company trained him in repairing POS terminals. So maybe that's a good lead. He says finding a company with an open position and willing to train a brand new tech to business systems is hard to get, especially in this market, but worth it. Said the more certs or schooling or experience the better but to just keep applying. (Added this after my initial post since I just spoke with her and found all this out...)

Worth a shot, right!? Thanks for the idea too, before now I really didn't ask too many questions in regards to repairing/troubleshooting POS. But between you and my GF telling me about it... eh, worth a look into.

Now ultimately, the big transition is doing POS setup, configuration, repair and maintenance on your own for small stores like mini marts that cant afford the manufacturers warranties and expensive one-time repairs.

Secret to all this is let them train you and give you experience, then use that on your own.

I dont know where you live or what your market is like but being in the bay area, there are a epic number of techies and companies that service anything. Despite this, mom and pop computer shops still do okay for themselves. You just got to drive traffic and make sure your quality of work is better so they spread your name word of mouth style.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information