+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A+ Cert

A+ Cert

~Originally directed towards NemoWolf

I am a student not so much into technology at this point and completing a BA in social science next year.

This summer i wanted to study and get my A+ certification and I was googling and found a post from you talking to some guy about it.

If I study and get my A+ cert(which I will do my best to do once the semester is over) I then want to study for CCNA.

Can A+ help me get a decent job or internship in the field?(like I said I am still a student).

Ive already gathered study materials for me to read and go over so once i get adequate time to I will be able to read through it all.

Just felt like you were knowledgeable so I joined this site just to get some of your opinions on this.

Also would getting a degree related to this after I graduate undergrad next year be helpful as well or would A+ and CCNA be good enough to be proficient and capable of going into a career.

Thanks,
    HOV

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It could fill a requirement for a job, that's about all the help it will give you to be honest. It also depends on where you live and how the job market is.

Quote Originally Posted by GroundZero3 View Post
    It could fill a requirement for a job, that's about all the help it will give you to be honest. It also depends on where you live and how the job market is.

Jumping from Social Science to the Computer Science can be a challenge. This is highly dependant on your own technical aptitude and the most important thing, desire to make the jump.

The A+ is considered by the industry as a foundation in computers and computer technology. There more broad spectrum knowledge and it specificaly tries to stay away from any brand specific coverage expect noting who developed the technology and what company may have implimented it post development. Many call centers and big tech support companys may require this at the mimimum and on the opposite, mom and pop type repair shops will expect this to ensure that your competent enough to have a conversation with their grizzled veterns and not be completely baffled. I myself worked at the Geek Squad and was told that the expectation is that i would complete the A+ certification within 3 months of being hired. I worked there for over six months, under a year for sure, and never made any progress toward it. It took me until my fourth year at my corporate job after that to find the time to study and complete the test. Even after nearly 5 years in the industry, i still missed some questions.

That in mind, jumping from the A+ to the CCNA is a mighty big jump. Most people work a few years to get a grounding in the industry before commiting the time and money resources to the CCNA as it is a challenge for many. This is a specific network technology cert offered by Cisco and expects a certain degree of understanding networking and interoperability of networks. In addition, this leads down a very specific path for a career. Once you start down this path, it will demand that you continue through or you will find yourself starting back at the beginning again as your skill set is now specialized and limited in range.

As for starting a career with either or both, that entirely depends on, as GZ noted, where you live and how the market is doing for IT work. For instance, currently in Silicon Valley there is an abundance of Help Desk/Desktop level work as just about any recent college grad in the area can fulfill these roles and we have MANY colleges pumping out CS folks every year. You will find when searching for jobs, i recommend Dice.com, that many jobs will ask you for 1-3 years of experience for an entry level job, 3-5 for a more experienced roll, and 5+ for anything sr. or above for example. While the A+ will a boon, it may need be everything.

Internships: Now this is something that is also highly dependant on your area. I don't think that your going to find many if your in farm country idaho or remote alaska. I HIGHLY recommend, note the bold, that you immediately find a guidance councilor and ask for a recommendation for a mentor in the CS division. Depending on your school/college/university, a CS division may have faculty that double as CS major councilors specifically to mentor and help network. Change your major or do what ever you have to do to get one.

If your serious about doing this for a career, stop your social science degree and consider it a life lesson. While your still in college, stay an extra year and stick with it. If your telling yourself, WTF MATES!? Change majors in my senior year?? No Way. Then stop, breath. Find another career and smile. Seriously. Computer Science is a life long career that will branch into many paths and you HAVE to be dedicated to it. This is that moment in star wars, sorry for the geek reference, where there is no trying this out. There is do or do not. Nothing else. While this may appear as an extreme answer, i can expound on this further in another post but im sure that this is enough to take in for an initial reply.

Cheers!

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

I actually was first interested in learning programming but a tech guy from my university that I know was talking to me about A+ cert and getting into working with systems and things of that nature like he does. Programming was my first choice but I think this could be something I could learn as well.

Which would you say leads to more solid ground as far as finding a career or at least career stability?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HOV1914 View Post
    I actually was first interested in learning programming but a tech guy from my university that I know was talking to me about A+ cert and getting into working with systems and things of that nature like he does. Programming was my first choice but I think this could be something I could learn as well.

Which would you say leads to more solid ground as far as finding a career or at least career stability?
    I personally think the two go hand in hand. A+ isd covering the essentials and will definitely be the first route to go to work your way into a faull understanding. Since the A+ is a lot easier to grasp than full on programming, definitely go that route first then work your way in if thats the field you are interested in.
    4K PC: Intel i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz / 16gb DDR3 2400 / Sapphire R9 290X / Win10 Pro
    HTPC: Intel Pentium G3258 @ 4.2ghz / 8gb DDR3 1333 / Evga 750ti / Win8.1 Home
    Laptop: Lenovo G50-45 / AMD A8-6410 / 8gb DDR3 1866 / Win10 Home

Quote Originally Posted by SoloCamo View Post
    I personally think the two go hand in hand. A+ isd covering the essentials and will definitely be the first route to go to work your way into a faull understanding. Since the A+ is a lot easier to grasp than full on programming, definitely go that route first then work your way in if thats the field you are interested in.

I don't really agree with that. Getting your A+ can be done over a month watching Professor Messer's videos and reading some additional material from a book. This does not get you more then the fundamentals and won't "Get you a career" as you still need soft skills and technical skills to compliment the information.
    If your in school and your studying computer science for programming, THAT is a career path. Facebook and Google actively recruit fresh from college grads making more money then your parents may make combined. Id say that might be a more lofty goal but certainly worth the challenge.
    Last edited by nemowolf; April 21st, 2012 at 06:19 AM.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information