+ Reply to Thread
    Blog Entries

Db'ing for legal

Lately I've decided to put the comp certs on hold since I do have a marketable background as a paralegal and starting up new career paths can be difficult in this economy. I've worked legal database entry in one such job for the government. So in applying for legal support jobs, I've been trying to emphasize my abilities in both eDiscovery and IT Litigation Support (computer security and data recovery are hobbies but I find such skills useful for eDiscovery).

This combines my interest in in depth computing with the legal arena. But given my background, perhaps I should also study up some on databasing? or just enhance some of my database skills?

I have used MS Access and an Access front end program designed for case management. I've created reports, databases in design view, etc but never actually coded. So database programming is probably not for me. But then what is? There's no certifications in data entry and manipulation is there? DB Administration?

Poor math skills and little coding experience means learning everything SQL might be a stretch but maybe picking up a SQL book just to learn some reporting codes would be a benefit to future employers?

If anyone would like to recommend a course of study, avenue or path to look into further please let me know. Any SQL books geared for just mundane office work or report drafting rather than programming as a whole?
    “Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” ― Cryptonomicon

Dunno. I've dabbled a bit in Access myself and learned just enough code to make myself dangerous. It seems like Vass0922 was the expert...

Blog Entries
    XD darn, do you think the coding is a necessary part of the job for entry and analysis purposes in a law firm? I'm thinking it may be important in other areas but a law firm maybe in-depth programming skills would be overkill to run a few queries (in my data entry position I never ran a single query by hand but did have to use Access to generate reports, do searches, etc).

That's what I'm hoping anyway because otherwise I need to get studying. XD I figure what I currently know about doing everything visually in Access is more or less what will be required. Anything more is a benefit but not common place in that field. Dunno though!
    “Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” ― Cryptonomicon

Blog Entries
    Actually, for Access, you would learn Visual Basic for Applications and interface with the database that way via SQL commands. Trippy huh?

I did some VBA vs SQL when I was an AutoCAD programmer. It's really not that difficult if you understand how databases work and can visualize relations somehow. SQL isn't very hard either, but it can be a pain in the ass when it feels like it.

I honestly found working with XML to be more of a pain in the ass than working with databases in VBA.

Blog Entries
    Wow, it sounds like a lot of work to do. I believe you though as the Access backend application I was using looked like it was actually coded in VB which makes a lot of sense (the program was designed to literally spit out reports by pulling data from the db via Access).

So the question is... as a paralegal and a tech enthusiast (and being math and, at the moment, programming inept) is that something I should be getting into? DB programming? Or should I just focus on brushing up on just a few queries? I do want to get more into programming but DB programming is a whole field onto itself, no?

Blog Entries
    Actual DB programming is an entirely different ballgame, yeah. Most of the stuff I did was temporary table creation or reading from a pre-built database entered via Access's front end. And more of the reading than anything. It was 10 years ago now so I don't remember much of anything anyway, but.

The girl that worked on the actual databases and did the reports there used Crystal Reports. The other guy just used straight Access and Excel sheets from what I remember (you can use VBA to populate databases from Excel sheets and vice versa).

Blog Entries
    That actually sounds like fun, if I knew it - or spent some time to learn to use VBA - I'm sure a lot could be done with it. Hrmmm, I'll consider it though. Maybe after I wrap my mind around one programming language the rest will fall in place. Something tells me just for report writing from Access and Excel VBA is where it's at.

Thanks -- maybe I can find a book on that, VBA + SQL just for report creating, basic office needs type stuff, not really in-depth coding.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information