+ Reply to Thread
    Blog Entries

Programming for Math Stupid

This is not to be confused with my thread on database queries for legal assistants over in the certification forum (that issue is for work). This is not for certification or anything work related but for fun.

I've been learning some Python @ the University of Waterloo online. Prior to that I've learned some markup languages like HTML & PHP (not a lot, just enough to create basic sites, view and modify code and spot errors in code for work). Someone told me that I may have more fun learning Java as I can, eventually, pick up the Android SDK and try my hand at toying with creating apps.

But I'm very math stupid, even basic math (otherwise I would have been a CS major). In Python thus far it has just been about making the program do the math and you, the programmer, thinking logically in "instructing" the code what to do, not actually doing computations (sure, it's best if the programmer knows what to expect). That's fine! Plus way back when I enjoyed AIML coding on Pandora Bots (obviously rooted in HTML and having very little to do with Math). Think I had several thousand lines of unique code.

So the question is... should I pursue Python or learn Java? Or is there a different language worth learning that doesn't deal heavily with math?

Seems like while one may or may not rely heavily on math, most examples in programming use mathematics to help teach the language. I could always continue learning PHP in more depth but something about creating actual programs, not web pages or managing web servers, sounds fun!

You may be tempted to ask: "Well what do you want to do? What do you want to create?" But I don't care what I create as long as it's functional, fun, and not terribly difficult to learn at first.
    “Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” ― Cryptonomicon

Blog Entries
    Seems there's more to python than math (math module aside). wxPython looks fun too. Hmmm... Just the idea of coding for my droid sounded fun too. But that would be OpenGL intensive and that is math.
    “Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” ― Cryptonomicon

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information