+ Reply to Thread
    Blog Entries

Digital Forensics Cert Questions

So for a while now I've been helping out family and friends by doing a bit of photorec/recuva to get deleted or corrupted files, encrypted drive wipes, removed hard drives with a SATA/IDE-to-USB recovery cable, quick crack/reset Windows passwords, DEFT toolkit in Linux & Windows, you know, the fun stuff! Not really toying much with hex via carving yet but playing around plenty with various operating systems.

As some of you know I'm a paralegal trying to focus more on eDiscovery and data forensics to aide in investigations (I do have some investigations in my background).

So recently I came across the ISCFE's CCE bootcamp pages. I was a CJ major and not a CS major but I do have a lot of the prerequisite skills just by virtue of working on computers heavily. After speaking with an ISCFE rep. I'm seriously considering going to a bootcamp program (ISCFE in VA or Intense in NY).

I'm not good at doing math in my head for some reason. I made this clear. ISCFE assures me that for the exam anyway and the exam's practical (as well as course work), heavy math skills aren't really needed. More "knowing what to do" and using programs to convert Hex, Dec, etc. Not really pencil and paper type stuff. Yet on the ForensicFocus forums CS majors-turned-CCEs say math is used all the time but don't mention programs or calculators that do the conversions for you.

So what's the truth?

My friends all tell me to go for it if I'm really into it. Stop making a mountain out of a mole hill: if I'm good at it, I'm good, if not all I've lost is money but tried to do something I like. Friends in the know say that it's "knowing" math concepts but not really in-the-head calculations. And that it mainly depends on the type of job I get afterwards (data recovery lab heavy into the sciences vs. law office).

IF I am successful and get a CCE, I'm interested in consulting, law enforcement and legal work processing various forms mediums for data and drafting reports on them to employers.

Input needed! I usually don't like spilling my beans about my personal life on the forums but I trust TIMO and the community so handle with care!
    Last edited by Interrupt; August 16th, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
    “Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” ― Cryptonomicon

My friends all tell me to go for it if I'm really into it. Stop making a mountain out of a mole hill: if I'm good at it, I'm good, if not all I've lost is money but tried to do something I like.
    I am in agreement with this statement.
    "The passion for setting people right is in itself an afflictive disease." Marianne Moore, American poet (1887-1972)

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What do you have to lose? A few bucks but in the process you might learn some new things.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys... I guess I'm a worrier by nature.

Beside it sounds like an awesome field onto itself. No prerequisite certs needed and yet you can get more advanced certs later or foundational ones if you want to branch off more into network sec (Net+, Sec+, CISSP... whatever). That's what I find so cool. XD

Now just need to figure out which bootcamp is best, time to get cracking with the research on my end. 1 week, M-F, morning to night = learn forensics? +6 week extensions for $250 a piece? Must be very grueling indeed, but so very fun. XD

I really appreciate your responses GZ & Poon.
    “Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” ― Cryptonomicon

Blog Entries
    ISCFE CCE In-Person Taught by Creators
    August 20th - August 24th
    Falls Church, VA
    Computer Forensic Training School - Certified Computer Examiner (CCE) Boot Camp
    Course Modules: Certified Computer Examiner (CCE) Boot Camp
    5 Day boot camp, extentions available for one-on-one

ISCFE CCE & Bootcamp Online
    Computer Forensic Training Center Online
    Same as above but online, no video, manuals and programs included

Intense School teaching ISCFE CCE in NY
    Authorized Computer Forensics CCE Boot Camp | Intense School

So yeah, will be deciding on this. XD NYC is literally commuting distance but the other is given by the people who make the exam (ISCFE), even if I have to stay up in an apartment or hotel for a bit. Dunno yet.

I can only speak for myself, I would have to with one of the instructor led boot camps. I am more of a hands on learner. Some people can learn what they need from books/online. Decide how you learn for yourself. Good luck and we are all rooting for you!

On a side note I am seriously thinking about CCNA classes that would be company paid. Just gotta stop procrastinating.
    "The passion for setting people right is in itself an afflictive disease." Marianne Moore, American poet (1887-1972)

Blog Entries
    Thank you. And do it, Poon! Company paid?!

I'd love to be in your shoes! Anything I do I need to pay for (or, better yet, my parents help but with the strong hint that I better get a job soon and pay back).

I've always wanted to work for a company that would pay for a cert. I'd study through the roof. Anything to have that kind of potential security.

Even McDonalds has tuition reimbursement. I think most companies pay for tuition. My company pays up front and then if I fail, I pay it back. If I do it, I ain't gonna fail. Lol

Blog Entries
    Hey, I know the topic is older but... well... it is my topic, lol. I thought I'd inform folks that I've decided to go with digital forensics but not with the ISFCE. With the SANS Institute instead, aiming for the vLive 408 (GCFE cert; class isn't for a while but studying up in the meantime). If anyone is interested in getting into the digital forensics/DFIR field for the first time... check it out:

Computer Forensic Investigations - Windows In-Depth

Optionally they have a 508 course which is for more advanced digital forensics (includes Linux). Knowledge of the material in 408 is assumed. Further down the career path it splits into different types of devices such as mobile forensics.

SANS also has an interesting Masters of Science IA program which offers 6 GIAC certs + an MS for those interested in Cyber Security. If anyone is considering a Cyber Security path, I hear from friends that their computer security certifications are excellent (Rob Lee, I believe, is doing the Metasploit Kung Fu class which for pentesters rocks).

They also have (for legal folks) a Digital Security and the Law class complete with a certification. I'm mentioning it because I'm also a paralegal though I'm not really into getting this one at the moment. Still... if you went to a para school and were bummed out about the lack of digital/internet law/rights courses... this may be for you.

Somewhere on the site they have the GCFE/GCFA career path laid out in a PDF. It looks pretty cool and is very informative.

Good luck to anyone else pursuing a career along a similar route. Many other organizations exist as well, I'm just looking at this one at the moment.

Edit - https://www.sans.org/curricula/ (links to their other classes broken up by category)
    Last edited by Interrupt; October 17th, 2012 at 09:02 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm into aviation and computers second with electronics and radio communications third. If I don't get to fly I would like to see about getting into programing FMC's (Flight management computer) or maybe doing something with flight simulators. Then I thought about maybe doing something with gauges. I have some very sophisticated gauges in Flight Simulator 2004 and I just love the SANDEL ST3400. This is the real gauge --->ST3400 TAWS - Terrain Awareness and Warning System And this is the Flight Simulator gauge. ---> Sandel ST3400 XP - Reality XP Simulation

You talk about real life map tracking! The thing will tell you if you are about to run into a mountain. I've installed it into my F-22.

So computers and aviation are high on my list.

Oh yeah Interrupt. 49 20 70 75 74 20 61 20 68 65 78 20 6f 6e 20 79 6f 75 2e 20
    Last edited by Taxmancometh; October 17th, 2012 at 11:32 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information