+ Reply to Thread

Devry Telecommunications management, is it worth the cost?

I have been looking at attending Devry for the degree program listed in the subject, but am unfamiliar with Devry, and how they rate in the I.T. industry.
    The program looks like it would fit well with my goals, but it is pretty damn expensive.
    Does anyone here know anything about this program, and if it is worth the expense?

Thanks in advance

AS, BS, or MS degree? I suggest a community college or state university for the lower cost. In addition, the overall acceptance and prestige of the degree would be higher.

BS Degree.

There's a lot of people that would laugh at someone with a DeVry degree. Now I'm not insulting anyone who does have one, I'm just saying what I've seen and heard people do.

It is your choice but a good college or university can give you the same education that DeVry or any technical institute can.

Sean

It all depends on what you put into your education.

My 26-year old son received his DeVry Bachelors in Telecommunications early this year. He started doing some network consulting as an employee of a small consulting firm, his hours varied from 3 to 25 hours a week but he was paid $50/hr. He just landed a job with SBC doing internal network helpdesk with a total salary-bonus-benefits package of about 65K per year ($45K base). He would not have been able to land either job without a degree -but equally important is his actual knowledge and experience.

Yes DeVry is expensive, but we were fortunate that my son had earned a millitary education benefit that offset most of the cost. Over all I think it cost about $50K -roughly the same amount it might cost at a reputable 4-year university. Even The University of Phoenix charges about $50K to obtain a similar degree online. It is an investment in your future. I remember thinking that the $10K I spent on automotive tools was entirely too much, but those tools have earned me $700K in the last 10-years alone (I have no idea where all that money went though).

My son was lucky that we have some extensive hardware at home for him to practice with; he also brought into DeVry a wealth of experience in both hardware and Windows/Unix-Linux operating systems, and was already A+ certified.

I am a DeVry telecom student in Southern California.

It's very expensive, figure 1000 dollars a class and the tuition increases all the time.

Get all your general education requirements somewhere else. In other words, do not pay DeVry prices for English 101 and College Algebra.

DeVRy is very, very picky about what they take in transfer credits.

In California, there are State Colleges which are part of the "CSU" Cal State University system., Places like Cal State La and Cal State Northridge for example. Classes good enough to be eligible for these places are called "CSU" credits.

There are University of California places like UCLA that are "UC" credits.

I had over 100 transfer credits mostly composed of "UC" quality credits in general education courses.

DeVRY did not accept a SINGLE class credit of mine that was of the "CSU" caliber. They only took the higher level UC credits.

I transferred with over 53 "UC" credits to DeVRY and that is considered a lot by all of my friends who came with AA degrees and found that DeVRY only gave them credit for 20 to 30 units of their courses. Thats ugly.

You pay a lot for DeVRY, but you get equipment like rooms packed with racks of Cisco routers, switches, hundreds of computers, high speed printers, and teachers who talk the talk and walk the walk with Masters degrees, Multiple Masters degrees and Phds.

We are talking about teachers who have done battle for 10, 20 years in the telecom business and not just book learned.

You will take Voice telephony classes, Lan Classes, Wan Classes, Unix, Novell, Win 2k server.

You will learn the ins and outs of PC hardware, software, You will learn to program routers hands on. There is a HEAVY emphasis on DOING in the labs. There are lots of lab classes.

They don't cancel classes, if you need a TCP/IP course and there are just 9 students, they don't cancel it like the State colleges often do. You will get your courses, you will stay on track, you will graduate according to schedule.

The courses evolve to stay in step with the current market. When Novell was hot, they taught Novell., as the market shifts, they add more Security Classes, more Windows 2003 server courses etc.

The bottom line is that the DeVRY has the curriculum,. they have the teachers, they have the equipment.

Your effort and participation will determine if it's worth it to you.

Originally posted by Oakie
    The bottom line is that the DeVRY has the curriculum,. they have the teachers, they have the equipment.

Your effort and participation will determine if it's worth it to you.
    [/B]
    Totally agree!

That post was exactly what I was looking for to get my spirits up again about going back to DeVry. I attended 1 semester, tested out of 2 classes, and took the intro and gen ed classes was sort of dissappointed because they were boring and easy. I now realize that it is how you apply yourself = what you get out of it.

I had to quit because of financial reasons and took some classes at a local CC. Ran into the same thing there... some bad classes/teachers - and some good. Thinking back I'd rather go to the small campus of DeVry with all the equipment and new technologies than to any 3 of the state univ.s that are square miles in size. They can't offer the same degree of FOCUSED - HANDS ON training that DeVry can.

What you've said about transfering the "easy's" from a CC is great advice. However I can, I'm going to figure out a financial plan to get back to DeVry. TCOM is still what I like to do, and there's no better place (IMO) to get the degree at than at DeVry.

Hopefully Oakie's (and my) post will help the orig. poster, and others too.

Thanks...

I'm a student at DeVry and majoring in tcom, now networking managmnet. Compared to most ivy league and public universities, DeVry is cheap. Devry offers alot of hands on training which is a plus and provides the resources needed for you to learn. However, i've noticed through most of my education that most studentsd don't apply them selves as they should and end up dropping out or going to a different college.

i find that with technolgy you can't learn just by reading, especially if you are new in that. you have to go out their and experience it for your self and not depend on books and lectures.

just with any school, it's what you make of it, not what school you came from; with the exception of ivy league schools were you pay a fortune. But to me, DevRy is alsomot ort as good as other regulat colleges and universities out their, th eonly difference is that DevRy is soemwhat underrated comparted to piblic univesrities which may; i mean may, be left out from soemone coming from a public school.

Devry Biggest Mistake Ever

Attended Devry and can tell you first hand it was a biggest waste of my hard earned money. Also did nothing for me career wise and wasn't accepted for transfer credits by any reputable school afterwards.
    I had to go get my bachelors from a real school afterwards and still kick myself for wasting that $25k I did.

My advice, attend a real (traditional institution).
    Good luck

Wow, totally forgot about this post. Looking back over 3 years ago from my original post I realize the "wish I knew then what I know now".

I did in fact graduate from DeVry and let me tell you a few things from my experience there:

1. Hands-on...? The only people who really get the hands on are the lab assistants that work for minimun wage as a student-job for the school. Otherwise the labs are given to you in thick packets of paper with step by step instructions that take HOURS to finish and in order to actually finish the labs to get credit you basically just rush through it following instructions in the lab booklets to get it done. They might have you switch a wire or two on a router/switch or use a removable hard drive to store your semester's worth of data... but other than that I had little to no hands on experience.

2. I would say, at my campus, there were some excellent teachers as well as some that were sub-par. There were so many worthless classes though that even the teachers had such lack of enthusiasm for the class that you knew they thought it was pointless too. I spent a whole class learning how to use MS Project and to this day I have no idea how to really use it.... The class consisted of us going into a room for 2 hours and talking about different ways to plan out projects and splitting up into groups which evolved into people venting about things at their own jobs. Then we were given a large packet of step by step instructions to take home and finish. That's actually how most of the business or management classes worked.

3. On the other hand, if you want to know the difference between the binary on a TCP header compared to a UDP header I could probably tell you....

I could go on and on but I'll stop here.

Bottom Line: If you have a lot of money or can get a scholarship and don't already know that much about computers but you're really excited about learning computer stuff.... DeVry might be for you.

If you're already a "Techie" this is NOT the school for you. Go get a computer science degree from a regular university and go after your career from there. DeVry will be too slow paced and you will loose interest and get locked into finishing b/c you can't transfer credits elsewhere. I lost so much interest that I moved out to a small town a few states away and started my own construction business. However, running the office I still can't get away from sitting in front of a computer half the day

DeVry

I've been very happy with my combination of DeVry education and certifications. If you're a bad employee or a social inept techie, it doesn't mater where you go to school. If you carry yourself well and have a good head on your shoulders, you'll probably do well too. I went to DeVry about 8 years ago and have people with MBA's from Northwestern working under me. I also know DeVry grads from my class still answering tech support calls. DeVry isn't cheap by any means however. I have no regrets but don't think the school itself is all that crucial unless you're going to Ivy Leaugue or something. I also got a couple good certifications to set myself apart like the PMP and SMP.

pmi.org
    thesmi.com

Devry- Just not worth IT (pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by LTGRich View Post
    I've been very happy with my combination of DeVry education and certifications. If you're a bad employee or a social inept techie, it doesn't mater where you go to school. If you carry yourself well and have a good head on your shoulders, you'll probably do well too. I went to DeVry about 8 years ago and have people with MBA's from Northwestern working under me. I also know DeVry grads from my class still answering tech support calls. DeVry isn't cheap by any means however. I have no regrets but don't think the school itself is all that crucial unless you're going to Ivy Leaugue or something. I also got a couple good certifications to set myself apart like the PMP and SMP.

pmi.org
    thesmi.com
    Don't take it personal LTG. Devry doesnt quite cut it as an institution of repute. i'm going to disregard your comment about bad or socially inept employees since I presume that wasnít in reference to me. Without listing certifications or degree (of which Iíve accumulated a few over the last few years including an IVY degree), Iíve managed individuals with all sorts of academic backgrounds for one of the largest TELCOís in the world.

I can say this it takes more than paper certification to excel. Having said that, itíll be delusional to suggest that the institution one graduates from is of non consequence or isnít reference point for potential employers on one hand and other academic institutions to which one might apply on the other hand.

My position remains unchanged that Devry is sub standard and failed to meet my expectations and like one of the previous posters I stuck at it because of the funds I had committed already. Having attended 1 college and 3 universities afterwards at the undergraduate and Graduate level my position is not only informed but comparative as well.

not what I meant exactly

First, I in no means was referencing you about socially inept employees, I was only trying to say that regardless of what school you graduate from the person themselves makes the most difference in their own success or lack thereof, not school recognition. The socially inept part was because if there's one aspect of skill I see holding otherwise intelligent people back in the industry, it's social/interpersonal.

Certifications are always secondary to degrees, no argument there. But if two candidates are equal but one has a range of certs, it sure has the possibility of helping. It's helped me differentiate myself from other candidates.

Back to DeVry, are there better institutions? Certainly. Can you go to DeVry and still be very successful? Certainly (you're evidence of this).

There's a HUGE difference between an Ivy league school and DeVry or a state school, but in most cases the decision is not one of DeVry of Harvard. If it were, only a fool would choose DeVry. My point was that if you're not going to go to a premier school, I think most all are equal in employers eyes. Is DeVry any better than a mediocre state school, no, but it's not worse either. Given that DeVry is quite a bit more expensive than a lot of schools, this would make the other institution a better choice.

If I had to do it over would I go to DeVry? Nope. But is it an excuse for why someone isn't successful? Nope.

Unhappy is a DeVry degree transferable to a regular university?

I am starting to realize that DeVry is false advertising the transferability of their degrees. Has anyone been able to transfer all their credits from DeVry to a regular university?

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I am starting to realize that DeVry is false advertising the transferability of their degrees. Has anyone been able to transfer all their credits from DeVry to a regular university?

Devry NEVER advertises that ALL of their classes are transferable only that their programs and degrees are accredited. They do not offer the same type of class as a normal university because it is hands on in a classroom instead of being theory.

The idea behind a school like Devry and ITT are that you shouldnt have to transfer your credits because once you finish your degree with them, your getting a job. If you planned on using their accelerated learning program to get you more credits for regular university/college, then you shouldnt have quit your previous college. It is not a short cut to anything but a job.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Credibility?

I've been trying to research DeVry to see if it is worth getting a masters in MIS. I've been seeing the ups and downs, but nothing much different from other colleges. I have an AA from Miami University and was wondering if I'd be better off trying to finish my Bachelor's and Master's there or save the money and time by going to Devry.

The course I was looking at seems to be more concentrated at Devry. Most all of the electives I've taken transfer and those that have not still seem geared toward MIS. I've worked in the field a couple of years and, as in any field, will probably learn more working in the field for a month than I would in 2 years at college. My main concern is not how challenged I will be in classes but how credible a degree from DeVry really is.

I've seen hiring managers almost laugh at degrees from online courses, such as University of Phoenix. I've been recommended to stay away from those types of colleges. However, I like the idea of knocking out the remaining electives and finishing a masters degree in less than 3 years. Does anyone know how credible a technical degree from Devry is? How does it compare to ITT Tech?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_f150 View Post
    I've been trying to research DeVry to see if it is worth getting a masters in MIS. I've been seeing the ups and downs, but nothing much different from other colleges. I have an AA from Miami University and was wondering if I'd be better off trying to finish my Bachelor's and Master's there or save the money and time by going to Devry.

The course I was looking at seems to be more concentrated at Devry. Most all of the electives I've taken transfer and those that have not still seem geared toward MIS. I've worked in the field a couple of years and, as in any field, will probably learn more working in the field for a month than I would in 2 years at college. My main concern is not how challenged I will be in classes but how credible a degree from DeVry really is.

I've seen hiring managers almost laugh at degrees from online courses, such as University of Phoenix. I've been recommended to stay away from those types of colleges. However, I like the idea of knocking out the remaining electives and finishing a masters degree in less than 3 years. Does anyone know how credible a technical degree from Devry is? How does it compare to ITT Tech?
    Three threads for the same question!?

I started at DeVry in Kansas City in '92 and graduated in '95 with a B.S. in Telecommunications Management. For me, my experience was very positive as has been my career. Yes, it was very expensive. I had a lot of credits transfer, and some that did not due to the curriculum. My career in the last 20 years has encompassed that of Technical Project Manager and Program Manager, I have held Director level positions as well.

The majority of my classmates have also excelled in their careers.

My experience with DeVry was very positive and set me on a solid career path with equally stellar compensation.

What I enjoyed most about DeVry, is the focused curriculum as well as the hands-on (yes, we had a lot of labs during the '90's) education.

That said, I have heard that much of DeVry's classes these days are on-line and lack the "hands-on" aspect it once boast.

My experience was very positive and don't regret it at all and I would say that the majority of my classmates would say the same.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information