+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    If you apply for a job with an MCSE and no experience, if there aren't any better applicants or similar ones, they will bring you in to an interview and test you with questions and simulations. I had three interviews for my current job, and all three combined both technical and scenario questions, and real-world simulations using equipment and software. I was that MCSA without the Systems Administration experience that went into the interviews and showed them that I knew the stuff and not just memorized questions and answers from Braindumps. Practice test like Measure Up gives you an idea of how the test will be without giving you the exact questions and answers on the test. In my opinion, they will only hurt you in the long run.

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yah if a company is desperate to bring someone on, they will hire someone with little to no experience. But its very rare these days to not being able to find someone with experience over someone who has none.

I might come off strong towards people with little experience, i just want them to remember that they better prepare for rough times ahead when trying to find a job. Granted the IT field is getting back on its feet, its never going to be the same.

I got my start by volunteering plain and simple as that.

Blog Entries
    I will say it like my boss has told me over and over again while going through more interviewing process. Experience is great, but if you can't answer or perform better than the other guy with less experience, it doesn't matter. That experience is just a resume filler and doesn't mean squat. The same with the certifications. YOu can have all fo the certifications and education int he world, but if an employer is looking for someone who CAN do the job, and you don't know how, you won't cut it either. We have had MANY applicants with 5+ years of experience, stack of certifications, and still not know as much as those certifications say they should know. Then there were some with no education or certifications who knew a lot more than some who had them. In my experience, it isn't hard at all to get a job without experience. The hard part to me is getting the interview, and then showing them you can do the job. The certs and education will get you in the door, but you have to prove you know the stuff and are better than the next guy who may have the experience, but can't perform as well as you. I've seen them, I've worked with them, and I've experienced it myself. Not rare at all...you just have to get that first interview and impress just like everyone else.

My Certs

I've had good luck with my PMP cert and recently got my SMP as well:
    pmi.org
    and
    thesmi.com

I just passed my A+ Certification test with a score of 725! Thanks for the links in this thread!

Congrats on the passing, I am currently studying A+(within 1 month Ill be ready), Network+, CCNA, and MCP. Looking through this thread has really opened my eyes a lot when it comes to online help and the availibilty of online help. Previously I had googled quite a bit for help but kept coming up with testking and braindump sites.

Ironicly I was searching for help with a COD4 problem that landed me here. Whew thats the best 50 $ Ive spent on a game that doesnt work lol.

Anyways glad to be here with everyone and hope to help someone out with what limited amount of knowledge that I have on these subjects.

P.S. Not many people in this town I live in are computer literate, so anytime someone asks me to look at thier computer and fix it I just tell them to pay me 1$. That way I can say that I have working exp in the field. To date Ive helped approx 67 people with their PCs, not a single one has had the same problem reoccur.

cheers....

Can any one help me with the sql 2005 70-431 exam. I need the question for the exam couse am writting on the 18 feb

Can any one help me with the sql 2005 70-431 exam. I need the question for the exam couse am writting on the 18 feb

Quote Originally Posted by fulufhelo View Post

Amazon.com: MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-431): Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Implementation and Maintenance (Pro-Certification): Solid Quality Learning: Books

Here ya go!

hi

how r u

Blog Entries
    Do you have a question about IT certifications?

I have a technical backgroud. I've been in telecom for 17 years and there are some crossover areas. I've also worked some VoIP. I've taken 1 class in CCNA and 1 in MCSE and I am currently working on a Network+. I am leaning on getting into IT and I'm looking for some help...In this case (and I don't want a lecture about Money isn't blah, blah...) which area would have the best potential to make the most $$$:
    CCNA/P
    MCSA/E
    OCP DBA
    Which field will have the most job opportunities:
    CCNA/P
    MCSA/E
    OCP DBA

The cost of training seems fairly equal.
    I know there are a lot of MCSE's in the world, but there a lot of positions.
    There are a fair number of CCNP's and there are a fair number of positions
    I'm not sure about DBA's.
    I've been in Telecom for many years and make a fairly good living, and I'd like to stay in the same neighborhood...or at least the same city...or at least get back to that neighborhood as soon as possible.
    Any info you can provide is appreciated

Blog Entries
    Since you want to stay in the telco side I would suggest finishing up the networking+ then the CCNA. The CCNP is after with the CCIE as the highest certification when it comes to Cisco/networking.

I'm not looking to stay in telecom. I just made the point to show that I wasn't a car salesman jumping into a technical field, that I had a tech background. And that after 17 years in telco I make good money so I won't be satisfied with an A+ and a MSDST. What I want to know is which area would have the best potential to make the most $$$:
    CCNA/P
    MCSA/E
    OCP DBA
    CCNA/P
    MCSA/E
    OCP DBA

Blog Entries
    I think the Cisco world has the potential to make a lot more money than most of the Microsoft certifications. If you can get the CCIE which is above the CCNP you can make over 6 figures easily if you have the knowledge to back it up. I cant comment on the Oracle stuff, but im sure there is money in it to if you have the knowledge and hands on.

Another money maker is if you have any knowledge or experience with SANS

Now please don't misunderstand what im saying, MS still make some good money (as long as you have the experience and hands on to back it up.) Hands on if very important in a real environment!

Well I don't have experience in ANY of these so I trying to figure out where to put my energies. Six figures would be great but if I realize that will take a few years. I NEED $45-55k I'd be happy with $85-90k, $125k would allow my wife to quit working...but I'm not fooling myself into thinking I can get a single Cert and knock down $100k!

Where is the best place to put my energies for job opportunities AND $?

Blog Entries
    You said you have 17 years in the telcom section, but you never touched any kind of data network services?

Quote Originally Posted by davidpat View Post
    I have a technical backgroud. I've been in telecom for 17 years and there are some crossover areas. I've also worked some VoIP. I've taken 1 class in CCNA and 1 in MCSE and I am currently working on a Network+. I am leaning on getting into IT and I'm looking for some help...In this case (and I don't want a lecture about Money isn't blah, blah...) which area would have the best potential to make the most $$$:
    CCNA/P
    MCSA/E
    OCP DBA
    CCNA/P
    MCSA/E
    OCP DBA

The cost of training seems fairly equal.
    I know there are a lot of MCSE's in the world, but there a lot of positions.
    There are a fair number of CCNP's and there are a fair number of positions
    I'm not sure about DBA's.
    I've been in Telecom for many years and make a fairly good living, and I'd like to stay in the same neighborhood...or at least the same city...or at least get back to that neighborhood as soon as possible.
    Any info you can provide is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by GroundZero3 View Post
    You said you have 17 years in the telcom section, but you never touched any kind of data network services?
    Pulling cable and installing modems im guessing.

Personally, I think your not going at this the right way and your better off sticking with the telco's. Looking for a job because the money is good makes me want to suggest going to the military since they provide you with everything or money for some.

Since you only care about the money, you arnt going to be as invested in the training because your not going to care. And I do agree that Cisco is the way to go as GZ said, but your going to have a long and arduous journey of studying and prepping for the tests let alone finding a company that is willing to take on a cisco admin without any experience working with networking equipment.

If your serious and your dedicated, I would say get A+, Network +, and Security + to get your feet wet and a solid foundation. If you find that Network + and Security + were easy and enjoyable, then go for Cisco stuff. If A+ was the easy and enjoyable one, go with MCDST for desktop support and continue working on MCSA/MCSE for server stuff. If neither of them works out, look at DBA as an alternative. You need to be able to enjoy what you do otherwise your going to burn out and end up going through jobs faster then you can imagine.

nemowolf -- Might I suggest that you don't start out with a slap to the person that you are going to give advice to. I was not a cable puller, I am a Senior Technical Support Engineer that works on both Software and Hardware issue. I love the way people jump to conclusions...money is not all I care about, but I think it is an important thing to know since I have a wife and 2 small children not to mention that I prefer not to go from a 6 figure income to a career that may have a ceiling of $50-60k. I'm not sure where you jumped to the conclusion that I wouldn't have any interest in the training...I assume that has something to do with the money issue. I have taken a course in all of the 3 career fields I mentioned and I find them all interesting, not to mention the fact that I can't even count all the training I've taken in 17 years at Nortel.
    GroundZero3 - Data was not my side of the house. I worked on Circuit Switched Voice and Wireless GSM, but I did mention that I worked VoIP which is Packet Switched Voice with Routers and Switches (hot too many hubs). It is heavy in Subnetting, TCP/IP, UDP, ARP, Ethernet, Unix, etc...
    I didn't want to clutter the Forum with my autobiograpy so that everyone would know my background, motivations, hopes and dreams, and interests, on the contrary I tried to keep the forum from being cluttered by asking that I don't get the same "It's not all about money..." lecture that I have seen dozens of time in other forums when anyone asks about the potential income of a given careers, which I see as responsible career planning. All I asked was 2 questions:
    1) Of 3 possible areas of study which has the best potential to make the most money?
    2) Of 3 possible areas of study which field will have the most job opportunities?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information