+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Congrats on receiving the Welcome Kit FINALLY , lol.

The regular Microsoft Course classes will not prepare you to take the exam...they teach you how to do the job, but it doesn't teach you the exam. I've had to actually set-up a home lab and study rigorously for about a month and a half or so before I go in for the exam.

How is the Boot Camp classes? Are they teaching the exam or are they actually taking you thorugh real life labs and stuff? Braindumps? I've heard some things about BootCamps and "paper certs," so I was wondering if it is really like those who knock it. If it is really a way to get certified quickly and you are actually learning the material, I may look into it to finish up my MCSE track rather than all of this rigorous reading books, studying and practicing with home lab for motnhs before being ready for even a Practice Exam .

Thanks for any information that you can provide about the Boot Camps.

Famos

Blog Entries
    I haven't done the boot camps...too expensive for my blood, though if I had the extra money some look to be good investments. I'm good at absorbing computer info fast...or at least I used to be, haven't tried it in a while. I'm finishing up two associate's degrees and nearly a dozen certificates of (completion/proficiency), for which I had a few MS Coursework material using classes. I passed the 270 without much effort, as it was just the XP Professional test.

However, I took the 290 and failed. BUT, I deliberately took it without any preparation because I wanted to see how I faired without any cramming. The reason I did that was because I used a special offered to students at the time that allowed a free retake should we fail it, but I procrastinated the retake beyond the promotional period, and thus never retook the exam.

Blog Entries
    I just recently took the 70-290 exam. I wouldn't have passed with the just the Official Course alone. I had to use Technet and other training to get the DETAILS. I just don't see how the Bootcamps can teach you so much in so little time. Are you sure they aren't just teaching the exam? I've been told that after each boot camp session, they put you in a room for testing. I've taken both the 270 and 290 and I know for sure that I wouldn't have been able to study and take them both in the same week unless I had at least two months for both. The only way I see this possible without teaching the exam is if someone who is an engineer already in the field doing the job everyday takes the exams.

I got a 900 on the XP exam, but I studied hard. Although I used XP everyday, it wasn't simple questions like how to create a shortcut or change desktop environments. I received a lot of NTFS, RAID implementations, USMT, RIS, many background services, etc. that I didn't see everyday. I learned a whole lot about XP and I still don't know everything about it yet, but it is coming together as I train more (i.e. ODBC drivers). 290 WAS foreign, but I got an 850 on that one. It took me about a month and a half to study for that one. I practiced EVERYTHING possible for that one. Setting up websites, IIS, GPO's, AD management, Terminal Server, etc. It was fun .

Famos

please excuse a stupid question from a noob but what is mcp? microsoft certification of some sort as a guess.

nevermind! i went and searched it and found out what it was. is there any perks for being mcp or mcsa
    Last edited by herschbach3; October 15th, 2006 at 10:29 PM. Reason: im stupid!

Blog Entries
    The only real perks I take value in is getting a job int he network/system administration/engineering. I've applied an interviewed for many jobs dealing with network/system administration/engineering and they want to see the experience and at least the certifications. They really don't care about the bachelor's degree until you get in and move up the management chain. I'm sort of in the management chain now, but I'm not doing the network engineering stuff I want to be doing. for many of the jobs that I want, the certs will get you in the door, but then you have to perform to stay and move up. MCP shows employers that you are more than proficient in a certain area of a Microsoft product, MCA shows that you are more than proficient in the administration of an already existing Windows Infrastructure, MCSE shows that you are an expert at design, implementation, etc of a Windows Server Environment/Infrastructure. This is all from the MS website though (in a nutshell).

I've talked to many employers and they said that certifications shows them that an employee or perspective employee are interested and has the initiative to learn and spend money on getting certification and extra education. Sort of the same way employers look at those who attend 4 year universities. Some employers want a Microsoft guy, some want Cisco, some want UNIX, some want someone with all three. One of the higher ups in my company told me that he interviewed a guy a couple of weeks ago who had been in the I.T. field for 15 years, but he did not have any education or certification. The guy had all of the experience needed, but when asked why he hasn't achieved any certifications, the answer wasn't good enough for him.

You do have paper certified guys who get brain dumps and study the exam and not the material. They get certified, get a job, but can't perform, and then they are fired...get fired from too many places, jobs are going to start asking why they have a year break on the resume .

Other perks is adding more tags to your name or I.T. repertoire, I.D cards, certificates, access to special MS sites, etc.

But yeah...it's all in the eyes of the beholder. Some jobs like programming, a degree would suffice, but in the networking field, certs trump (in my experience).

Famos

Blog Entries
    Did I mention the return address on my Welcome Kit was 2 Woodlands Sector 1 #01-17 Singapore (738068).

Perhaps mail from Singapore is a bit slow

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconJon View Post
    Did I mention the return address on my Welcome Kit was 2 Woodlands Sector 1 #01-17 Singapore (738068).

Perhaps mail from Singapore is a bit slow
    LMAO ...mine is the same. Did you see the cheesy certificate...so plain. At least the CompTIA certiifcates has some graphics. I hope the MCSA and MCSE certificates from MS aren't as plain with Bill Gates signature being the highlight .

Famos

Blog Entries
    Yeah, it's the saddest certificate I have ever received. The ones brought home by my kids (K & 2nd Grade) semi-weekly are more professional looking.

Blog Entries
    LOL...agreed!! The certificates Microsoft issues after completing their course is more presentable than the certificate they issue after passing the exam. I just don't understand MS sometime...well...never understand them much.

Famos
    Last edited by famosbrown; October 29th, 2006 at 11:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    ^ You might get a better response by contacting Microsoft...lol
    AMD 64 3800+ Venice | GeIL 2GB PC3200 (4x512mb) | ASUS A8N-E | 8600GTS 256MB | Antec NeoPower 480 PSU Antec | SLK3000B case | Samsung 2168W LCD

Quote Originally Posted by LEO.L View Post
    Dear sir..,
    I have written my Windows XP exam before 2months,but still i did not receive my MCP certifate,i request you to send my certificate as soon as possible to the following address
    private info removed

LOL!
    Last edited by RicheemxX; March 15th, 2008 at 06:24 PM.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LEO.L View Post
    Dear sir..,
    I have written my Windows XP exam before 2months,but still i did not receive my MCP certifate,i request you to send my certificate as soon as possible to the following address
    #17,1st cross,
    jaggama reddy layout,
    Hoysala nagar,
    R.M nagar post,
    Banglore-560016

LOL...I'm not sure if this is legit or not, but for the sake of people googling...have you gone to the MCP site to request your Welcome Kit yet? It will not come automatically...you must go to the website to request delivery. If after 8 weeks, mine takes about 2 weeks after gaining certifications since passing my first MS exam, you haven't received your kit, call Microsoft at the number given at the MCP site and have them check on it for you.

famosbrown>> good to see you on here. To the gentlemen who posted. why are you at this site complaining about your mcp kit. You HAVE TO GO TO THE MICROSOFT MCP WEB SITE. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WINDOWS LIVE EMAIL ADDRESS OR A HOTMAIL ADDRESS. THERE YOU CAN SIGN UP, IF YOU HAVENT ALREADY. THEN YOU CAN CLICK ON A LINK THAT SAYS "ORDER YOU MCP WELCOME KIT".
    I have to go, we are having multiple tornado warnings, with five already on the ground. prey for us

Red face

Hello sir,

i have completed my MCP Exam 270 Just before March 2008, and i have received only MCP logo, and Transcript only

and right now i m still to mY Origal Certificate at my home...

i am facing problem in interviews could help me plese... in this case

i have already give my Adddress Proof and etc.

Azher Farooqui
    azher.farooqui@hotmail.com

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you never received anything from MS

contact them

Microsoft Learning Support

mcp cedrtificate not get still

Respected sir., I have done MCP exam on o3-october 2007 and i scored 826 marks,and after still i dont get MCP certficate and any other things, my details i given below

CANDIDATE ID SR2869815
    SITE NUMBER IIIH33
    REGISTRATION p54syd51a0
    YOUR SCORE 826
    SO i kindly requesting u as soon as possible try to send my certificate and welcome kit Thankingyou yoursfaithfully lijo c jose

No one here can send you your certificate.
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Blog Entries
    How about we just have this thread closed?

Angry about certificate

Dear sir

I completed my mcp exam in dec 2007, i did not received any mail, i want my mcp kit,

how to give details of my contact details

regards
    Rakesh
    India

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GroundZero3 View Post
    If you never received anything from MS

contact them

Microsoft Learning Support

Okay I have no idea why people are coming on here asking for help. YOU NEED TO CONTACT MICROSOFT ABOUT THIS. Use the above link to help get you started

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information