+ Reply to Thread

Microsoft Certification Costs?

Where can I find out how much it will cost to become certified through Microsoft? Like, if I want my MCSE, MCP, MCP+I, MCSA, MCAD, MCDBA and MCT ... What's that going to cost?

More importantly, if I take this at a relatively proficient pace, how long should it take me to complete all of this? I've been looking around the MS Training & Certification website... But it just looks like a lot of useless information that I couldn't really care less about.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Not exactly sure.. but I think most tests run $125 for a live exam. Depending on exam location, it may cost more (or less).

Microsoft's Training and Certification site has some information about costs.
    See "Exam Registration" section:
    http://microsoft.com/traincert/mcpex...ocedures.asp#B

- rp

I recall looking into this some a few years ago, and seeing lots of figures that looked more along the lines of $2000 and $3000. What other costs, other than the exam costs are there?

Can these courses be studied for online? By CD-ROM? What costs are associated with that?

Sorry for all the questions... I just want to be sure..

I think what you were reading were the Training costs. I've seen those around $3000.

The all-so-simple solution to those costs: get a job with a company that will pay all/part of it (yea, ok, not-so-simple)

You can study online/books/CDs, you name it. However, the best way to do it is to take a training class ($3000)

I personally don't know anyone who has not taken a training class first. However, if there exists someone that hasn't, they should feel free to add a reply to this thread (hint hint)

Oh, and don't forget the costs of medication. You might need quite a bit of it while you're (re)learning skills.

- rp

I *hate* taking classes. I'm definately not a complete fool when it comes to any of these categories, so I believe that's a good start.

Not only that, if I actually take classes - that means that I can't work at my own pace, which is always, and has always been way ahead of everyone else.

The thousand-dollar courses I was looking into involved no actual class time. It was all computer-based training in a lab.

Is there any particular reason why you find class-based training to be so important?

If training isn't your thing, then it may be a waste of your time/money to take training classes. After all, if you sit in the class thinking "I hate this.. I hate this.." you'll never learn anything

The benefit of training classes is that you become very well-rounded in all topics. For instance, you may be very skilled in the PC/Workstation/client end, but not really have any skills in the server end of the spectrum.

On one hand, it may be a 'waste' to re-itterate the skills you already know, but you may find it necessary to look elsewhere (outside of books/videos/etc) to gain the skills you don't have.

By taking practice exams, you should get a very good feel on what you know, and what you need to work on. It would be your own personal decision whether you take classes or not. If you know your stuff, it is definitely cheaper to just take the exams. It will save you $2,800+ if you pass it on the first try

Well, I doubt I know my stuff well enough to go in and ace the exams without looking over any of the material, but when I do look over example questions, etc.. I typically understand what they are talking about, even if I don't necessarily know the answer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information