View Poll Results: Do homosexuals deserve dignity

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    32 91.43%
  • No

    2 5.71%
  • Other (I'll explain in my post)

    1 2.86%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61
  1. #21
    Senior Member Front242's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    531
    Well Mr Chuckiechan, dont think that your veiled attempt at making a social commentary about homosexuality sound like advice on passing was lost on myself or others on this forum.

    Your suggestion that this might be one of the questions postulated tells all.
    "Have you learned to hate conservatives, Republicans, or the relgious right yet?"
    So thanks for making me you poster child, but don't try to pretend that you were doing anything less than what I stated above.
    I get all my News from FNC and right blogs, so I know I am fair and balanced.

  2. #22
    MR Meek and Mild Epidemic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    almost Virginia
    Posts
    11,564
    Blog Entries
    2
    I would take away someones dignity. I have no problem stripping a terrorist of his dignity.


    but in actuality dignity is something you have and choose to give up.

  3. #23
    Indispensable Member surreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    32,303
    You can't come back with apples and oranges.
    Or are you comparing homosexuals with terrorists?

  4. #24
    Rather Large Member Beemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Vernon, BC, Canada
    Posts
    10,201
    How about the discussions that were going on 200 years ago in the States. Slavery and freedom for same. It was a rights issue concerning a group of people that didn't have a choice of who they were that took you guys into a nasty civil war.

    I think anyone that thinks they don't deserve dignity hasn't thought the issue over and believes homosexuality is a life style choice. For a small fraction of homosexuals they may just be going against the present social norm for fun or rebellious reasons but the main body of homosexuals would find it as repugnant to go to bed with their opposite sex as I would find it repugnant for myself to go to bed with a guy.

    I see no reason to strip them of their dignity because of their natural sexual orientation.
    “Religion: Together we can find the cure.”

  5. #25
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ no1_vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Albany, Ga.
    Posts
    20,337
    How much dignity does a "normal" person deserve? How much more or less does a Paedophile deserve? How much dignity does a person dying of Cancer deserve?? MORE? Less? What other reasons should certain people deserve more/less dignity than others? How much more or less do they deserve than our pets-or other animals?
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

    TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

  6. #26
    Indispensable Member surreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    32,303
    who are you taking to?

  7. #27
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ no1_vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Albany, Ga.
    Posts
    20,337
    Apparently to myself Surreal, I do it all the time usually not so loud as anyone notices !
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

    TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

  8. #28
    Ultimate Member GiPilot12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    You See Berkeley?
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by chipbgt View Post
    Funny all this talk of dignity, yet some of you are quick to call someone who disagrees with you a retard/idiot.

    interesting.
    Do you mean me? No my friend is an idiot. A lot of people say so. By idiot I mean his mental processes are below that of the average student at our school. I disagree with his point of view, but I have always known him (way before I knew about his conflicting point of view with min) as an idiot. Doesn't mean he isn't my friend...
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes" Or Should I?
    Chapter 25, The Catcher in the Rye

  9. #29
    Ultimate Member GiPilot12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    You See Berkeley?
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by surreal View Post
    GiPilot, you are fortunate, it sounds like you were not raised in an environment that taught you either overtly or subtly to hate.

    However, not everyone is so lucky. Their opinions are formed by their parents and some change and some do not.
    What your teacher did, was to plant seeds, one never knows nor should we guess if or when they will ever come to fruition.

    However bashing someone for not agreeing with your point of view does nothing but harden their resolve. It closes dialog.
    I am very fortunate, and I consider myself fortunate accordingly.

    However I am not bashing at all. I am simply trying to understand the reason why he does not like homosexuals. Personally, I cannot do or think something that I do not have a logical reason for. I am trying to be much like Socrates. Question to understand, understand to learn, learn to improve (the world and ones self).
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes" Or Should I?
    Chapter 25, The Catcher in the Rye

  10. #30
    Ultimate Member GiPilot12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    You See Berkeley?
    Posts
    2,677
    by the way, I talked to him today and he said something like this:

    "Its cause they are wierd, I mean it is not normal, they are spreading AIDS and stuff, and on top of that who wants to be adopted to gay parents?"

    Well I find that the adoption point is an entirely different subject all togeather, but hateing someone because they are wierd is not a valid reason to hate IMO. So I asked him if he would hate his mom if she got into an accident and suffered brain damage and became "weird".

    He just shrugs and said

    "Dunno"

    And I left it at that.
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes" Or Should I?
    Chapter 25, The Catcher in the Rye

  11. #31
    Ultimate Member Toadman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    30-41,000ft
    Posts
    6,061
    Your friend is certified ignorant and we'll keep it at that.
    "The inherent vice of Capitalism is the unequal unfair sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of Socialism is the equal sharing of mediocrity and motivation. Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, gospel of envy, and its only inherent virtue is in the equal sharing of misery.

  12. #32
    Some assembly required Knothead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,220
    Quote Originally Posted by GiPilot12 View Post
    by the way, I talked to him today and he said something like this:

    "Its cause they are wierd, I mean it is not normal, they are spreading AIDS and stuff, and on top of that who wants to be adopted to gay parents?"

    Well I find that the adoption point is an entirely different subject all togeather, but hateing someone because they are wierd is not a valid reason to hate IMO. So I asked him if he would hate his mom if she got into an accident and suffered brain damage and became "weird".

    He just shrugs and said

    "Dunno"

    And I left it at that.
    Like I said, dogs are nice, and they can be trained. Encourage your friend to join the U.S. military.

    Further, perhaps give him a suggestion to persue joining an Infantry Division. There's no thinking involved there, and he'd be doing a service of a very beneficial kind (i.e., keeping an intelligent serviceman OUT of the Infantry!).

    Win-win for all concerned!


    The name "Knothead" on a post is your assurance of a quality post, carefully half-baked using only the finest ingredients!



  13. #33
    Rather Large Member Beemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Vernon, BC, Canada
    Posts
    10,201
    Knot
    That's interesting.

    Do you suggest this same solution for folks that maintain their anti-homosexual stance based on religious beliefs?
    “Religion: Together we can find the cure.”

  14. #34
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ no1_vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Albany, Ga.
    Posts
    20,337
    Beemer, you know there are people that I simply CANT get to understand what is right and wrong. There is a point at which everyone simply raises their hands and says: "I give up!"
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

    TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

  15. #35
    MR Meek and Mild Epidemic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    almost Virginia
    Posts
    11,564
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by surreal View Post
    You can't come back with apples and oranges.
    Or are you comparing homosexuals with terrorists?

    No, well actually you can compare the two just like I did. terrorists deserve no dignity and I would willingly try to strip their dignity if given a chance.

    A gay I would by no means wish to strip them of their dignity. They have done nothing wrong to their fellow human beings.


    PS I would strip a KKK member of his dignity as well. (but they have already given up their dignity)


    Dignity though is not for the taking it is given and purely personal perception.

    No one can take it from you as you yourself define it.

  16. #36
    Prof. of DooGlian Studies MegalosSkylaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Nr. GroundZero NYC
    Posts
    8,847

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by Knothead
    Dogs are nice, too. Stupid, but nice. And they can be trained...
    Ahem.

    Bet you thought I woudn't be reading this.

    GRRRrrrrrrrrrrr....

    When you next turn on your Computer, you will beCENSOREDand it'll serve you right.

    Who thought up this dopey question?

    Oh, a college teacher.

    Also, DooG is speled D-o-o-G.

    MegalosSkylaki

    AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! !

  17. #37
    Indispensable Member surreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    32,303
    Sorry I wasn't clear, GPilot, I was talking to Knothead when I posted that part about bashing...

    Quote Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
    Like I said, dogs are nice, and they can be trained. Encourage your friend to join the U.S. military.

    Further, perhaps give him a suggestion to persue joining an Infantry Division. There's no thinking involved there, and he'd be doing a service of a very beneficial kind (i.e., keeping an intelligent serviceman OUT of the Infantry!).

    Win-win for all concerned!
    Sometimes Knot, I'm so disappointed by the hateful things you say..

  18. #38
    Some assembly required Knothead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,220
    Ya know, I really took a left turn onto Stupid Avenue with that one.

    I was in a crappy mood. The key word was "Infantry", but that point is moot.

    Those of you who know me, know that I have the highest respect for the men and women of America's military; I have often written of that respect.

    My apologies to anyone I may have offended with that remark.


    The name "Knothead" on a post is your assurance of a quality post, carefully half-baked using only the finest ingredients!



  19. #39
    Rather Large Member Beemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Vernon, BC, Canada
    Posts
    10,201
    Surreal
    Why should Knot have to sugar coat his opinion to suit your sensibilities? Try rebutting his suggestion instead of PC sensoring.
    “Religion: Together we can find the cure.”

  20. #40
    Some assembly required Knothead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,220
    I believe Surreal's point was that to bash ANYBODY ends any useful dialog, and that point is taken; I say "What's good for the goose, is good for the gander". Particularly when the issue is bigots.

    Has anybody ever seen a bigot that responds to reason on this issue? Of course not! The essence of bigotry is unreasoning hatred!

    Bash 'em back, I say! Deny THEM dignity, see how they like it!


    The name "Knothead" on a post is your assurance of a quality post, carefully half-baked using only the finest ingredients!



Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. i deserve this
    By project vegas in forum Certification and Education
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2006, 11:31 PM
  2. AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! What did I do to deserve this!?!?!?
    By Hungrycookpot in forum IMO Community
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: September 25th, 2005, 10:50 AM
  3. If they get rid of the homosexuals,
    By Theophylact in forum IMO Community
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 15th, 2005, 11:02 AM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: March 18th, 2004, 10:58 AM
  5. Why am I not getting the framrate I deserve?
    By Marshall Law in forum Graphics Cards and Displays
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: September 25th, 2002, 02:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright 2014 All Enthusiast, Inc