+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My oven has a "Sabbath" feature... Anyone care to clue me in?

As to what this feature is?

And is it sold in the middle east? J/K

And I had a Jewish customer wish me a "gen Christmas"... Did she mumble, or I didn't hear correctly, or is that something I'm not familiar with.

I thought I'd heard it all.
    “Rancher Bundy should’ve told the feds that those were Mexican cows – who came across the border illegally to seek better grazing opportunities. It was an act of love.”

Maybe a Gentile Christmas?

The Sabbath feature is only for cooking bats, preferrably headless style.

Doing a search I found a press release from GE. Apparently the "Sabbath Feature" does a couple things:

1. Overrides the 12 hour safety feature which turns off the oven automatically.
    2. Eliminating tones or timer beeps.
    3. Turns off the "display icons".
    4. Allows temperature adjustments without displays or beeps.

"Although the Sabbath and holiday laws, especially as they relate to the cooking and heating of foods, are rather complex, the engineers at GE are to be congratulated on their ability to have appreciated and comprehended the intricacies of Halacha (Jewish law) as they developed a Sabbath mode that will enhance the Sabbath and holidays of observant Jewish families," noted Dr. Avrom Pollak, president of the Star-K Kosher Certification.
    FROM

Apparently it a feature to help the Jewish women cook AND observe the strict letter of jewish law.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

So I guess the point is to not have "modern" conveniences, but still be able to use your oven?

Thanks, I was just wondering.
    “Rancher Bundy should’ve told the feds that those were Mexican cows – who came across the border illegally to seek better grazing opportunities. It was an act of love.”

Another oddity (at least to me) of the Jewish faith is the wires they string around neighborhoods in order to consider themselves "not traveling" (or is it "at home"?) on the Sabbath. I forget the name of it. I think it makes the whole neighborhood part of the house, so to speak.

Yes, I think the point of it is to allow the Jewish wife(or daughter/MIL/whoever) to cook without specifically "starting" or lighting a "fire" which is what she is actually doing by turning a know to allow electrons to flow into the resistance elements.
    Turning on an electric stovetop to warm food will initiate the flow of electricity to the burner. The halachic authorities have determined that electricity used as heat or light is considered fire. Therefore by turning on the burner one is creating a new fire. This action could just as well have been done before Yom Tov and is prohibited because of molid. Turning the dial on your electric stovetop may also initiate a light or icon on a control panel which would otherwise be off. This may be a transgression of kosev, writing, as well as molid. Even when the electric burner was left on from before Yom Tov, if one wishes to adjust the temperature of the burner there is also reason for concern. This is because, as a rule, one does not know if there is electric current running to the element at the time they wish to make the adjustment. Even when there is an indicator light showing that a burner is on, this may not be an indication that electricity is flowing to the burner at that moment. Rather it is indicating that the element is set to maintain the desired setting which it will maintain by going on and off at pre-determined intervals. As a result when one adjusts the temperature upward on Yom Tov they may be initiating the flow of electricity at a time that it was otherwise not flowing. As mentioned earlier, this would be prohibited because of molid.

To circumvent this prohibition, an electrician can install an indicator light which is attached to the actual flow of electricity to the burner.5 This will indicate when there is current flowing to the burner. When there is electricity flowing, one may raise the temperature in order to enhance cooking.

Lowering the heat setting on an electric stovetop on Yom Tov is also not without its halachic perils. We know that extinguishing a burning log is the melacha of kibui. Lowering the heat setting of a stove on Yom Tov may be associated with the melacha of kibui. Therefore, this can only be done when it is for the benefit of the food, so that it will remain warm but not burn. One may not turn the burner off completely. However, if there is an indicator light showing when power is flowing to the burner, one must be careful to lower the burner only when the indicator light is off. Once the indicator light is off, one may also turn the burner off completely. (Once off, it cannot be turned on again for that Yom Tov.)

Note: Stovetops that come with the Sabbath mode ovens have not been engineered to allow the adjustment of the stovetop temperature. The stovetop must be handled like that of a conventional oven as described above. (See specific model listings for some exceptions.)
    FROM

So, while I consider it a marketing gimmick, and you think of it as just a way of controlling the oven, to a jewish family that practices the strict observance of Torah law, it is a really useful feature.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

dulce bellum inexpertis

As for the "wires" around the neighborhoods its called eruv:

An eruv is a symbolic enclosure that uses natural elements and wires or baling twine attached to utility poles to extend the boundaries of home. It enables Orthodox Jews within its boundaries to perform certain acts that are otherwise prohibited outside the home on Shabbat.
    Definition:
    A line of wire or even string around the community, which permits Jews to carry personal articles on the Sabbath; a legal device for converting public into private domain.

More here(wiki)

dulce bellum inexpertis

Blog Entries
    Whoops...
    Last edited by Theophylact; December 22nd, 2006 at 09:34 AM. Reason: no1_vern beat me to it..
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley

Ultimate Member
    It plays 'NIB' as it's cooking your food

Well, the first thing we are cooking is a ham! I home it does'nt have a "Kosher" sensor, and refuse to cook it!

Some assembly required Knothead's Avatar
    Heh, Chuckie has an Orthodox-Jewishly-Correct Oven!

Hey, it's all kopasetic...*

*Kopasetic (sp?) a word that '30's swing music great Cab Calloway introduced to the American public: a corruption of the Yiddish word (and I have NO idea how to spell this, sounds like: ) Kopal Seydich...

It referred to the practice of Orthodox Jews observing the Sabbath, and being forbidden to operate modern conveniences; so they'd hire the black folks in Harlem to come and stay and operate the light switch, the stove, etc.

And they'd invite their friends over, saying it's all "kopal seydich" ("we have the schvartzes (black folks) here, operating the lights, the heat, etc...you can hang out in comfort here, without breaking Talmudic Law!"

So the blacks picked-up on the word, changing it to "Copacetic" or "Kopasetic" or maybe "Copasetic" as a word meaning...

It's cool, baby...

The name "Knothead" on a post is your assurance of a quality post, carefully half-baked using only the finest ingredients!

Hah! Now there's something the kiddies aren't going to pick up in the school books. wow

So they changed "Oy" to "Yo"..?

Being a jew, I face(d) the same problems. Fortunately for me, the makers of the Chia Pet (which, oddly enough, I have seen stacks of in multiple stores recently) produced..

The Clapper 220v Special Edition.

I'm not talking about the newfangled one with the remote. No that would defeat the purpose. Instead, during our chants and blessings, I just turn my body slightly and clap like I would normally to activate the oven. 5 hours later when we are finally done with the clapping and chanting, I repeat the process

but this time I have to clap three times...

so I gotta be sneaky and careful as to not make my fellow tribal men, women, children, and caged hedgehogs turn there attention to me and ask why I just clapped three times, rapidly.

Light to Counter the Dim MTAtech's Avatar
    Let me explain:

According to Jewish law, one is not permitted to kindle a fire on the Sabbath. However, according to rabbinical interpretation over the centuries, if the fire is already lit, it can be used. So, one doesn’t have to sit in the dark during the Sabbath, one can light a candle before the Sabbath. (In fact, lighting candles ushers in the Sabbath.)

Electric lights and electric appliances, although they did not exist when the Torah was written, are considered to be the equivalent of lighting fires.

Therefore, the Sabbath feature allows the cooker to avoid having to start an oven on the Sabbath will also being able to use the oven for cooking.

It is also permissible to hire a non-Jew to perform prohibited practices. (If a Jew is hired to perform prohibited practices it is religiously the same as one performing it themselves.)

With respect to the eruv, the Torah prohibits all activities associated with work including carrying any item that isn’t clothing, including money, books, keys, etc. on the Sabbath outside the home. The eruv gets around Jewish law by converting a large area of the public domain into a private one making it permissible to carry prohibited items.

Now you know why Jews make good lawyers.
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

Quote Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
    Now you know why Jews make good lawyers.
    LOL.

Interesting...

Have you ever heard of someone Jewish wishing someone a "gen Christmas"? I may have misheard her.

Light to Counter the Dim MTAtech's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    Interesting...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post

Have you ever heard of someone Jewish wishing someone a "gen Christmas"? I may have misheard her.
    I never heard that nor know what that's supposed to mean. It's no sin to wish a Christian a Merry Christmas. I even saw a Hassidic guy wish someone a Merry Christmas.

When I Googled it, I only got Gen-X Mas.
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

Then I guess I misheard her. I wished her a merry X mas back.

BTW: Merry Christmas to you!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information