View Poll Results: Would you eat vat made meat??

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a true vegetarian - I eat no meat of any kind. Period.

0 0%
  • I would at least try it.

8 40.00%
  • Yes I would eat it.

6 30.00%
  • IF its as cheap as regular meat-or cheaper I wouuld eat it instead of normal meat.

1 5.00%
  • I dont know what I would do OR I dont care.

5 25.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Arrow Would you eat in vitro meat ?

PETA is offering 1 million dollars to the first company to be able to produce in vitro meat economically.
    To qualify for the prize, which was announced today on the group's Web site PETA.org, the quantity of meat produced must be sufficient to market in at least 10 U.S. states at a price that is competitive with then-prevailing chicken prices.
    It seems that the prize can already go to a Norwegan firm that claims it can produce meat for ~3,300 to 3,500 euros($5200-5500) per ton.
    five to 10 years, supermarkets might have some new products in the meat counter: packs of vat-grown meat that are cheaper to produce than livestock and have less impact on the environment.

According to a new economic analysis (.pdf) presented at this week's In Vitro Meat Symposium in Ås, Norway, meat grown in giant tanks known as bioreactors would cost between $5,200-$5,500 a ton (3,300 to 3,500 euros), which the analysis claims is cost competitive with European beef prices.
    I dont know, Im thinking that the micronutrients would be lacking. There is simply no way to introduce all of the nutrients available to animals in the real world. Any meat produced in vats would be missing more of the essential nutrients we need than todays fast foods.

What do you think? Would you eat vat made meat??
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

IF it could be made to be identical in taste and texture, then of course I would. ANY civilized and compassionate human being would.

Quote Originally Posted by no1_vern View Post
    I dont know, Im thinking that the micronutrients would be lacking. There is simply no way to introduce all of the nutrients available to animals in the real world. Any meat produced in vats would be missing more of the essential nutrients we need than todays fast foods.
    How in the wide world of eff'ing sports do you know that? Oh that's right, you do not know that. You're guessing. You're assuming.

Are you really that much in favor of killing that you're not willing to even hope that one day there might be an end to all the unnecessary death and suffering of the animals we raise for food. Even if that day never arrives, it's a good and compassionate goal to shoot for. Don't ya think?

Sure, I'd give it a try, but then, I like Haggis.

Strangely enough the word "thinking" is in front of my statement. I THINK the nurition will be lacking BECAUSE they will want the CHEAPEST product possible. What is adding extra nutrients that is needed for the human body called?? PROFIT LOSS.

In BEEF alone a normal piece of meat has:
    45 minerals
    12 essential amino acids
    16 vitamins
    3 essential fatty acids.
    A list of Minerals important to a healthy life.

Carbon, Beryllium, Sodium, Aluminum, Phosphorus, Chloride, Calcium, Titanium, Chromium, Iron, Nickel, Zinc, Germanium,

Selenium, Rubidium, Yttrium, Niobium, Erbium, Ytterbium, Hafnium, Lithium, Boron, Magnesium, Silicon, Sulfur, Potassium,

Scandium, Vanadium, Manganese, Cobalt, Copper, Gallium, Arsenic, Bromine, Ruthenium, Ralladium, Cadmium, Tin,

Tellurium, Cesium, Lanthanum, Praseodymium, Samarium, Gadolinium, Dyprosium, Fluoride, Terbium, Holmium, Thulim

Lutetium, Tantalum, Tungstein, Osmium, Platinum, Nitrogen, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Stontium, Zirconium, Molybdenum,

Rhodium, Silver, Indium, Antimony, Iodine, Barium, Cerium, Neodymium, Europium, Mercury, Lead, Thorium, Thenium,

Iridium, Gold, Thalium, Bismuth.
    Too much of those minerals can cause damage/injury to us, BUT we need micrograms doses for proper health.

Can you tell me how many of those will ACTUALLY be in this man made meat? Will ANY of them be there?

Have You eaten at a McD's or a KFC lately? Did you think that was the best food for your body? As bad as it was the food originally started with all the nutrients normally found in those animals. What if ALL the food you had to select from was just like McD's food? hm?

What do you think will happen when they start having this type of product available?? After all, profits are the name of the game, right?? For it to be profitable to the corporation it has to be PASSED OFF AS MEAT no matter its nutrition profile. IF it looks like meat, tastes like meat, but is too cheap to be meat, what would you call it?
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

dulce bellum inexpertis

I've never had haggis, but hopefully someday I'll get a chance to try some. Sure, I'd give this stuff a chance. With enough garlic and/or chiles, just about anything can be OK. I think the weirdest dish I ever had (and I don't plan on having it again) was dinuguan, a Filipino stew.
    Never send to know for whom the bell tolls . . .

Sure - take a Flintstones and a hand full of dirt every now and then, then put that "Vat Roast" on the grill...
    “Rancher Bundy should’ve told the feds that those were Mexican cows – who came across the border illegally to seek better grazing opportunities. It was an act of love.”

Blog Entries
    It can't be any worse than that soy infested slop they pass off as meat at McDonalds. Sure, I'll give it a try.
    Get off of my roof!

Quote Originally Posted by Pexster View Post
    I've never had haggis, but hopefully someday I'll get a chance to try some. Sure, I'd give this stuff a chance. With enough garlic and/or chiles, just about anything can be OK. I think the weirdest dish I ever had (and I don't plan on having it again) was dinuguan, a Filipino stew.
    Your right it's the seasonings that make it taste so good, otherwise meatballs give the same texture.

Strangely enough the word "thinking" is in front of my statement. I THINK the nurition will be lacking BECAUSE they will want the CHEAPEST product possible. What is adding extra nutrients that is needed for the human body called?? PROFIT LOSS.

In BEEF alone a normal piece of meat has:

Too much of those minerals can cause damage/injury to us, BUT we need micrograms doses for proper health.

Can you tell me how many of those will ACTUALLY be in this man made meat? Will ANY of them be there?

Have You eaten at a McD's or a KFC lately? Did you think that was the best food for your body? As bad as it was the food originally started with all the nutrients normally found in those animals. What if ALL the food you had to select from was just like McD's food? hm?

What do you think will happen when they start having this type of product available?? After all, profits are the name of the game, right?? For it to be profitable to the corporation it has to be PASSED OFF AS MEAT no matter its nutrition profile. IF it looks like meat, tastes like meat, but is too cheap to be meat, what would you call it?
    So instead of agreeing it's a good and compassionate goal to strive for, it seems you are saying "Nah, it'll never work. It'll never be economically feasible. Keep the killing machine running."

You may be right. It may not be feasible for any number of reasons. But don't you think we should be trying? Don't you think we are technically advanced enough to accomplish it? If not now then certainly in the future? I'm not asking you to speculate on what you think big corporations will think about this, I'm asking you; what do you think about the idea vern?

Personally I'm confident that in the future we'll be manufacturing meat for consumption that is not only satisfactory to the palate but since we'll have more control over the process we should be able to make it even healthier for us. Isn't this exactly the type of revolutionary progress mankind should be making as we advance?

OMG this is the most bizarre things I think you guys have talked about...
    Personally I'm confident that in the future we'll be manufacturing meat for consumption that is not only satisfactory to the palate but since we'll have more control over the process we should be able to make it even healthier for us. Isn't this exactly the type of revolutionary progress mankind should be making as we advance?
    It's called Soylent Yellow.

Then it became Soylent Green
    Last edited by surreal; April 27th, 2008 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added the video

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by surreal View Post
    OMG this is the most bizarre things I think you guys have talked about...

It's called Soylent Yellow.

Then it became Soylent Green
    How you doin". Miss Surreal ????

LMAO !!! Moses and Nathan in the same movie !!! I'd try it , MAYBE. I'd have to talk to others who have tried it first. We went out to an Italian restaurant last night and if they can make Calimari and Veal Parmesian taste like the REAL thing, I'd probably stick with it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtab0BKOGY
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
    You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy them–wipe them out!

NOT even the SCIENTISTS who made the meat are willing to.
    For all the talk of high-tech meat production, attendees of the first In-Vitro Meat Symposium didn't put their stomachs where their mouths were. Instead of sampling early versions of in vitro meat, they stuck to local fare.
    SNICKER - I didnt realize you didnt RTA.

Quote Originally Posted by OuTpaTienT View Post
    So instead of agreeing it's a good and compassionate goal to strive for, it seems you are saying "Nah, it'll never work. It'll never be economically feasible. Keep the killing machine running."
    You may be right. It may not be feasible for any number of reasons. But don't you think we should be trying? Don't you think we are technically advanced enough to accomplish it? If not now then certainly in the future? I'm not asking you to speculate on what you think big corporations will think about this, I'm asking you; what do you think about the idea vern?
    Technically it IS a good and compassionate goal. Many will be betting on vat-made meat being a way of achieving that goal. I am betting on PEOPLES GREED and STUPIDITY. That whatever is actually produced will cost too much. To be profitable they will produce "cheap" meat - food with much of the nutrition removed. WHY, you ask? For the same reason fast food joints still survive today-most people choose CHEAP food over GOOD/healthy food. GREED is one of the things that almost always trumps altruism. Which BET do you really think will pay off? HUman nature OR altruism ??

PETA wants this, but they are missing the point. The ONLY reason this is an issue for the SCIENTISTS is to create a profit for the corporation(s). IF there was no chance for profit, there would be no interest. Corporations would sell sawdust as meat if they thought they could make a profit from it.

I am also confident that it WILL NOT be healthier, just cheaper because it has less nutrition in it. The corporation will be producing the cheapest thing that LOOKs, TASTEs, SMELLs, and cooks like meat. But for all intents and purposes to the human body, it will be sawdust - because that will be what is profitable for the corporations.

Putting tens of millions of farmers out of work will not be popular either.
    Last edited by no1_vern; April 27th, 2008 at 01:31 PM.

dulce bellum inexpertis

Quote Originally Posted by pickel View Post
    How you doin". Miss Surreal ????

LMAO !!! Moses and Nathan in the same movie !!! I'd try it , MAYBE. I'd have to talk to others who have tried it first. We went out to an Italian restaurant last night and if they can make Calimari and Veal Parmesian taste like the REAL thing, I'd probably stick with it.
    Sorry but so far it just tastes like chicken!

OMG I'd become a vegetarian in a heartbeat if we started growing our meat in petri dishes...

"parts is parts..."

If it taste the same and has the same Nutritional value as normal meat then yes I would.
    At first it was thought that Oetzi died from exposure to cold but wounds on his hands and an arrowhead lodged in his back suggest a more violent death

Putting tens of millions of farmers out of work will not be popular either.
    Oh yeah, forgot about that. Well that settles it, we can never stop killing billions of animals 'cause dem farmers need jorbs. G'yuk.

Nevermind vern, I had forgotten exactly how impossible it is to have a discussion with you.

Does that mean I win?? Im unsure where the anger in your comments are coming from.

Wait a sec, could it be that I right? Youve given up, because you know Im right!

** I'm hoping someone will jump in and tell me what Im right about.
    Last edited by no1_vern; April 27th, 2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Edited because I cant spell. I am trying to improve though.

dulce bellum inexpertis

As soon a PETA gets wild animals (lions, tigers, sharks, etc.) to go on a strict vegetarian diet, I may consider trying this "in-vitro meat".
    Unofficial TechIMO record holder for the number of times being added and removed from beemer's ignore list.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by porsch1909 View Post
    If it taste the same and has the same Nutritional value as normal meat then yes I would.
    Main PC: AMD FX-9590 / 16gb DDR3 2400 / AMD R9 290X @ 1100 Core & 1350mhz Mem / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Linux Boxr: AMD FX-8120/ 4gb DDR3 1866/ Nvidia GTS450/ Ubuntu 12.04
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430/ Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667/ Ati x1600 / WinXP Pro 32bit

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
    As soon a PETA gets wild animals (lions, tigers, sharks, etc.) to go on a strict vegetarian diet, I may consider trying this "in-vitro meat".
    But aren't you "above" a wild animal? Aren't you compassionate, even a little bit, towards the suffering of other living creatures? You have pets don't you? Is it alright with you if they experience pain and suffering? Do you torture them and cause harm to them? If no, then why not?

Yes I understand certain animals are bred and raised specifically for food, they are bred to be killed. I understand that, and fuck, I eat them too. I'm not passing judgment I'm saying if we had a viable choice that would allow us to stop raising animals that experience nothing but suffering and death, wouldn't that be a good thing? Even though lions and tigers will still hunt their meat that doesn't mean we must always breed, torture, and kill ours.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information