+ Reply to Thread

Everyone hates ethanol

In today's WSJ Editorial section.

Due to slumping demand for gasoline, and thus their product, ethanol producers want congress to RAISE the percentage of ethanol in gasoline. That's a terrific idea for ethanol producers, lobbyists and members of congress.

For you and me, not such a great idea.

The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, the Motorcycle Industry Council and the Outdoor Power Equipment Institute, among others, are opposed, since raising the blend limit will ruin their products. The left-leaning American Lung Association and the Union of Concerned Scientists are opposed too, since it will increase auto emissions. The Natural Resources Defense Council and the Sierra Club agree, on top of growing scientific evidence that corn ethanol provides little or no net reduction in CO2 over the gasoline it displaces.

Doesn't do much for gas mileage either. I always get worse mileage out here where we use 10% ethanol than I do back east where there is less or even no ethanol. ADM (Archer Daniel Midlands) is king out here, though. They push ethanol like crazy Signs everywhere proclaiming ethanol as patriotic and oil as evil. So I guess we're 10% patriotic and 90% evil.
    You can't fix stupidity.

Light to Counter the Dim MTAtech's Avatar
    We in the East use 10% ethanol in the winter, so water in the tank doesn't freeze the fuel line. I also think 10% ethanol is used since they can't use Methyl Tertiary-Butyl Ether any longer.

But yes, it's stupid adding more ethanol. Ethanol has less energy and thus less mpg. It's not the answer to the fuel problem and it's immoral to turn food into fuel when there are people starving.
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

Blog Entries
    I love ethanol. Just not heavily-subsidized, negative-energy-balance fuel ethanol.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley

Light to Counter the Dim MTAtech's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theophylact View Post
    I love ethanol.
    I don't think they mean on the rocks.
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

I have a Chemistry major friend who worked in the auto industry this past summer and she was saying that they were experimenting with running engines with higher percentages of ethanol in the gas, and she said it basically ruined the engines and eats away at all of the non-metal parts it comes in contact with. Great!

Quote Originally Posted by MD1032 View Post
    I have a Chemistry major friend who worked in the auto industry this past summer and she was saying that they were experimenting with running engines with higher percentages of ethanol in the gas, and she said it basically ruined the engines and eats away at all of the non-metal parts it comes in contact with. Great!
    And guess who is liable for any damage caused by high percentages of ethanol in your fuel tank?

Hint: Not the ethanol manufacturers.

Blog Entries
    I think any fuel derived from a food source is an idiotic idea.
    You people are you satisfied with this kind of world? I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by Shipuuden View Post
    I think any fuel derived from a food source is an idiotic idea.
    Not sure I'd go that far. Running a car on Corona, for example, sure beats drinking that swill.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by osprey4 View Post
    Not sure I'd go that far. Running a car on Corona, for example, sure beats drinking that swill.
    Okay you got me there.
    You people are you satisfied with this kind of world? I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by osprey4 View Post
    Tru dat.
    You can't fix stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
    Doesn't do much for gas mileage either. I always get worse mileage out here where we use 10% ethanol than I do back east where there is less or even no ethanol. ADM (Archer Daniel Midlands) is king out here, though. They push ethanol like crazy Signs everywhere proclaiming ethanol as patriotic and oil as evil. So I guess we're 10% patriotic and 90% evil.
    About 10% difference? That's what someone that works for a refinery says, it's pretty much a trade off so that ethanol doesn't help save any gasoline, just adds to it.
    What are they doing down in Brazil(?) I thought they were pretty much pure ethanol down there. Or are my wires crossed (again ) ?
    "Sometimes life is just what we make it."

Blog Entries
    ethanol is damaging to rubber. so an E85 car has come computer changes to get more bang out of the fuel. but more importantly you have replaced all of the ethanol sensitive parts with synthetic. Modern cars I do not believe have alot of sensitive parts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information