View Poll Results: Should the media have made the tea-bagging jokes?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they were in good fun or figuratively true (and I am more conservative)

0 0%
  • Yes, they were in good fun or figuratively true (and I am more liberal)

3 21.43%
  • No, they were crude/childish (and I am more conservative)

6 42.86%
  • No, they were crude/childish (and I am more liberal)

0 0%
  • I don't care or don't know

4 28.57%
  • What is tea-bagging and why is this a big deal?

1 7.14%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tea Bagging the news?

Ok, so we have a thread that touches upon this, but I wanted to be able to go into more detail without going off topic:

During the tea parties, many news channels took the opportunity to blast anyone who had opposing views by using childish and crude humor.

Instead of calling them "tea-parties", giving the demonstrations any merit by comparing them to a part of our history, they called them "tea-bagging parties".

From my understanding, the media was who started this misnomer (though correct me if they were continuing a joke based on someones misspoken words),

For a good example read this:
    FOXNews.com - Mainstream Media Sneers at Tea Party Protests - Red Eye w/ Greg Gutfeld
    I know it is Fox news, but you can just read the transcript parts to see what I mean.

So my question to you is this: Is it right for the media to make jokes about these people seemingly because these people have different views than Obama? Is the media fine and free to say this kind of stuff? Whats the deal?
    I don't like signatures.

If anyone knows how hard it is to talk while tea-bagging, it would be Anderson Cooper.
    Unofficial TechIMO record holder for the number of times being added and removed from beemer's ignore list.

Living the dream The Real Bingo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
    If anyone knows how hard it is to talk while tea-bagging, it would be Anderson Cooper.
    Well, he gets tea-bagged.

Thanks for the clarification TRB. . .
    Unofficial TechIMO record holder for the number of times being added and removed from beemer's ignore list.

It is getting a little old watching the more culturally conscious members of the media making fun of the clueless wingnuts, though. This is just too easy.
    I've viewed 1 video where the tea-baggers were acting inline with nazis. Burn books! (on evolution) amongst other inane ideas inline with Nazi thoughts. It was rather funny.

I think the mainstream media is calling it as they see it along with the rest of us having a laugh at these misinformed and misguided folks.
    Comrade PhysioProf walked through one of these wackaloon teabagger parties yesterday. Looking at and listening to the people in attendance, it was abundantly clear that they represent the most ignorant stone-cold-fucking-stupid dregs of the dregs of remaining sewage of the sick-fuck right wing of American society. These selfish whiny pig people are repugnant to decent Americans.
    “Religion: Together we can find the cure.”

So, because they have different views than you, it is ok to try to publicly humiliate them? What if a group was trying to burn religious books, should I publicly humiliate them with crude humor on national television?

There will always be stupid people. Why must everyone else sink to their level?

And what about the thousands of people that were protesting one of the largest spending sprees in the world by the president? Are they also "tea-baggers" ?
    I don't like signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by butch81385 View Post
    So, because they have different views than you, it is ok to try to publicly humiliate them? What if a group was trying to burn religious books, should I publicly humiliate them with crude humor on national television?
    Have you read any of beemer's threads?

His comments show that he is OK with the media commenting (or joking, or harassing) the people he does not like, but does his point of view change if they are people who share his agenda?
    I don't like signatures.

Blog Entries
    /me wonders more if they even knew what they were saying had another meaning.

The media just doesn't get these memes. Reading what Fox New's reply was, they clearly don't understand what tea-bagging is.

"a phrase used to describe an act of oral sex performed by a man either on another man, woman or — in Alec Baldwin's case — a cheeseburger."
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

EX, you don't think that they said it intentionally?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by MSNBC Video (emphasis added)
    DAVID SHUSTER, HOST: It's going to be tea-bagging day for the right-wing and they're going nuts for it. Thousands of them whipped out the festivities early this past weekend and, while the parties are officially toothless, the tea-baggers are full-throated about their goals. They want to give President Obama a strong tongue-lashing and lick government spending-spending they did not oppose when they were under presidents Bush and Reagan.

We can only speculate why widespread tea-bagging made Cavuto think of the Million Man March, unless he got them confused with Dick Armey. And in Cavuto's defense, if you are planning simultaneous tea-bagging all around the country, you're going to need a Dick Armey.
    regardless of whether Fox knows the "proper procedure" for tea bagging is not the point. The point is that the other media outlets (like MSNBC) definitely knew the meaning of what they were saying.
    Last edited by butch81385; April 18th, 2009 at 11:18 PM.
    I don't like signatures.

Thye knew full well what they were saying. Funny stuff really.

I can only imagine the outrage from the left if they were describing a liberal event this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
    Thye knew full well what they were saying. Funny stuff really.

I can only imagine the outrage from the left if they were describing a liberal event this way.
    If what you typically post is an indication of the capabilities of your imagination, I've no doubt you can!

=)

Don't give up your day job gomer.

Don't stop dreaming big dreams!

Come on Butch. These tea-baggers are drinking the GOP come-back kool-aid.

Found the video with the book burning shout out.
    Project 912 Glenn Beck Tea Party

The people showing up to these events are terribly misinformed or not informed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer View Post
    Don't stop dreaming big dreams!
    My dreams died many years ago.

Regardless of who did and didn't notice, the advertisers will take notice.

The bad taste is evident because they see Fox News leading them farther and farther in the ratings and they don't know how to stop it, nor how to market against it.

So they are hoping beyond hope that falling into their comfort zone of the liberal fringe will save them. It won't. It didn't save the print media.
    Obama is a deer caught in history's headlights.

i think beemer is against religious book burning as i am, it's the principle of the thing, don't burn books because the message you send it always bad

Creatures
    Canon EOS 550D | Tamron 18 - 270mm 1:3.5 - 6.3 | Lensbaby Scout (Soft Focus Optic, Fisheye Optic) | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

What I see as amusing is that the "liberal" media/movement consider in an egotistic fashion that they are the intellectual elite, yet they had to resort to low brow, crude humor.

I'm sure the "liberal media/movement and intellectual elite", thank the Conservative movement for being the best straight man ever! The gift that keeps on giving.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information