June 10th, 2009, 04:08 PM #1
- Join Date
- Feb 2003
- Bethalto, IL
- Blog Entries
FDA panel OKs AstraZeneca psychiatric drug for children
The Associated Press: FDA panel OKs AstraZeneca psychiatric drug
The FDA's panel of experts voted overwhelmingly that the pill Seroquel is a useful treatment for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder in patients ages 10 to 17.
That is all, just thought it was interesting enough to post. No need for me to post any thoughts on it, though there's room for plenty.
June 10th, 2009, 04:45 PM #2
Approved or not, doctors are going to use it.
June 11th, 2009, 12:07 AM #3
Important Safety Information for Seroquel XR
This is not a complete summary of safety information. Please discuss the full Prescribing Information Adobe PDF with your health care provider.
No $h*t Sherlock. Wonder what drug that came up with to counteract the side effects
Seroquel XR is a once-daily tablet approved to treat acute depressive episodes in bipolar disorder; acute manic or mixed episodes in bipolar disorder alone or when added to lithium or divalproex; long-term maintenance of bipolar disorder when added to lithium or divalproex; and schizophrenia.
Elderly patients with dementia-related psychosis (having lost touch with reality due to confusion and memory loss) treated with this type of medicine are at an increased risk of death, compared to placebo (sugar pill). Seroquel XR is not approved for treating these patients.
Antidepressants have increased the risk of suicidal thoughts and actions in some children, teenagers, and young adults. Patients of all ages starting treatment should be watched closely for worsening of depression, suicidal thoughts or actions, unusual changes in behavior, agitation, and irritability. Families and caregivers should watch patients daily and report these symptoms immediately to the physician. Seroquel XR is not approved for patients under the age of 18 years.
* High blood sugar and diabetes have been reported with Seroquel XR and medicines like it. If you have diabetes or risk factors such as obesity or a family history of diabetes, ask your doctor about checking your blood sugar before starting Seroquel XR and regularly throughout treatment. If you develop symptoms of high blood sugar or diabetes, such as excessive thirst or hunger, increased urination, or weakness, contact your doctor. Complications from diabetes can be serious and even life threatening
* Increases in cholesterol and triglycerides, and weight gain have been reported with Seroquel XR
* A rare, but potentially fatal, side effect reported with SEROQUEL XR and medicines like it is neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS).
Tell your doctor if you have very high fever; rigid muscles; shaking; confusion; sweating; changes in pulse, heart rate, or blood pressure; or muscle pain and weakness because treatment should be stopped if you have NMS
* Another serious side effect reported with Seroquel XR and medicines like it is tardive dyskinesia (TD)—uncontrollable movements of the face, tongue, or other parts of the body. TD may become permanent, and the risk of TD is believed to increase as the length of time on and the amount of these medications increase. While TD can develop in patients taking low doses for short periods, this is much less common. There is no known treatment for TD, but it may go away partially or completely if treatment is stopped
* Before starting treatment, tell your doctor if you have high prolactin levels or have a history of, or are at risk for, seizures or a low white blood cell (WBC) count. An eye exam for cataracts is recommended at the beginning of treatment and every 6 months thereafter. During treatment, tell your doctor if you feel dizzy or lightheaded upon standing. Suicidal thoughts or actions may occur; tell your doctor if you have thoughts about death or suicide. Since drowsiness has been reported with Seroquel XR, you should not participate in activities such as driving or operating machinery until you know that you can do so safely. Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Seroquel XR because Seroquel XR increases the effects of alcohol. Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated while taking Seroquel XR
* Common side effects: The most common side effects are drowsiness, dry mouth, increases in cholesterol and triglycerides, constipation, upset stomach, dizziness, a sudden drop in blood pressure upon standing, weight gain, increased hunger, tiredness, increases in blood sugar, difficulty speaking, and stuffy nosehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE9TN...eature=related
The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy them–wipe them out!
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By Beemer in forum IMO CommunityReplies: 0Last Post: March 21st, 2006, 04:45 AM
By mad1 in forum IMO CommunityReplies: 21Last Post: April 28th, 2005, 01:27 PM
By mad1 in forum IMO CommunityReplies: 16Last Post: February 10th, 2005, 11:38 AM
By Bill in SD, CA in forum IMO CommunityReplies: 2Last Post: February 19th, 2004, 04:37 PM